Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

1211212213214215217»

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited April 18

I get them pretty frequently for both my Cobalt and my daughter's PT. I've even gotten a phone call recently about my Cobalt. I said, "stick shift and no power windows or locks; you wouldn't even want it".

When we owned our '93 Caprice Classic which we bought new (at ages 35 and 28), we would get three or so postcards weekly from different companies, wanting to buy it. We did in fact sell to one of them, as they offered more than I was offered as a trade-in, in 1999 at 93K miles. I was told it was going to Saudi Arabia. We did a cash transaction in my driveway and changed the title over right there.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,026
    edited April 18

Maybe that was it, just the Turbo or SS models that had leather in the Cobalt. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some variant that had it, but didn't pay that much attention to it...other than being impressed that it had leather!

I remember, a few years ago, sitting in a Chevy Aveo at the Philly Auto Show, and being impressed at the "leatherette" interior upgrade that it had. I'm sure it's still a far cry from "MB-Tex", but for such a low-end car, I thought it dressed it up pretty nicely.

As for those buyback letters, my housemate gets them all the time for his Xterra, under the guise of "we're running low on used cars, and need yours to fill our inventory!" And I've already gotten one or two of them from the dealer trying to seduce me in to trade my 2012 Ram.

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490

@uplanderguy said: I get them pretty frequently for both my Cobalt and my daughter's PT. I've even gotten a phone call recently about my Cobalt. I said, "stick shift and no power windows or locks; you wouldn't even want it".

The guy on the other end probably thought he was speaking to some sort of Neanderthal... LOL!

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,766

@uplanderguy said: I like the rear end styling of the Cobalt coupe, but my kids were complaining about getting into the backseat of my previous Cavalier coupe, so I opted for the four-door...a bit harder to find 5-speed 4-doors then, although a guy I work with who lives south of Columbus has had 2007 and 2010 new Cobalt 4-door 5-speeds. His 2010 is navy blue, which looks a lot nicer than the silver I decided to get. Back to the taillights--I was surprised they offered to have two different rear-end styling jobs based on coupe or sedan.

This is a college town I live in, and in NE OH near where Cobalts were built, but going to Dunkin Donuts this morning, I swear I noticed six or seven Cobalts in a two-mile stretch. I didn't see a single Corolla (that I noticed, anyway), and, as usual, I spotted a decent-looking second-gen Neon. I see those frequently around here still.

I don't remember leather in Cobalts, andre, unless maybe in the turbo and/or SS variants...of which I never spent any time looking at.

As that recently quoted article said, there is a big difference between the coasts and the midwest. Your states are where all the cars we don't buy on the coasts are going, along with Hertz and Avis and...

• suydamsuydam Posts: 989

Hondas are built in Ohio and trust me, there are tons of them on the roads here.

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,382
    edited April 19

My '08 Honda is junk! This CR-V had one recall for a computer reflash(trans), 8 oil changes, trans/rear dif. oil changes, new tires and cost me $1,350 in 68Kmiles!!

That's a ridiculous $0.02/mile! The resale value is 78% of original cost after 5 years??

I'm done with Honda!

edited April 19

My '10 CX-9 is garbage as well. 38K miles and original tires with 50% tread life, 6 oil changes and never seen the dealer? 70% retained value?

Mazda is finished!

edited April 19

My '11 Optima SX is the worst! 38K miles and new tires? 2 trips to the dealer for turbo sensors and 7 oil changes. 75% resale value? Pure junk!

Kia can go to .....!!

edited April 19

Apparently your Optima story is 'anecdotal', as I and imidazol (and my coworker who has bought three new Cobalts; one for his daughter) would be told here. ;)

Remember, it's neither me nor imidazol who initially chose to post '(choose one of circlew's cars here) is a real POS'.

You left your battery out of your CR-V expenses, BTW.

Remember to turn your headlights on at night in your CX-9. That is the car I saw last week in Columbus with no headlights on at night, and my old friend who was driving said, "what the hell?".

This discussion has been closed.