Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    You mean saying My neighbor "A" owns a business that loses only 100,000 dollars a year, while pointing out neighbor "B" owns a business that loses 10,000,000,000 similar to GM, and then pointing out I have a neighbor "C" that owns a business that loses 5 times that amount (50 billion) isn't a good argument for why neighbor B runs a great business?

:P :P ;) ;)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,369
    Huh? Only Ford doesn't make minivans.....

Uplander (Upchucker to me) GM

As ateixera pointed out, it's been gone for five model years. Stop by a Chevy dealer often? ;)
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    As ateixera pointed out, it's been gone for five model years. Stop by a Chevy dealer often

Perhaps the one's that didn't go to fleets took that long to sell off, and there were some sitting at dealers? ;)
    I had an Uplander once as a rental (besides owning one). On the other hand, I've had many a Toyota rental.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,455
    You mean saying My neighbor "A" owns a business that loses only 100,000 dollars a year, while pointing out neighbor "B" owns a business that loses 10,000,000,000 similar to GM, and then pointing out I have a neighbor "C" that owns a business that loses 5 times that amount (50 billion) isn't a good argument for why neighbor B runs a great business?

By golly, I think you've got it!

I know, it always works for me when I get pulled for speeding...

"Why, yes, officer. I was doing 60 in a 25 mph zone, but there are drivers on the Interstate running 90-100mph, so you should excuse me and go after them!".

Works every time...NOT!!!
    Looks like GM has a few frame issues as well...

I think it's fairly obvious that numbers come into play here. GM (and Ford and Chrysler) had sold many, many, many more trucks than Toyota, yet Toyota had the issue enough that it became a large issue for them...and not the others.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,702
    I think it's fairly obvious that numbers come into play here. GM (and Ford and Chrysler) had sold many, many, many more trucks than Toyota, yet Toyota had the issue enough that it became a large issue for them...and not the others.

Agreed. Sort of like all the talk of Honda trannys and Toyota sludge - issues that were big for those brands, but long in the past and noteworthy mainly because of those brands' high reliability. When GM or C have tranny failures, it's not even news...

Somebody just posted about a second tranny rebuild on a truck (I believe it was a Chrysler) in ~110K miles. I've driven six different cars I've owned to over 100K, two of them over 200K miles. Honda, Acura, VW, Mazda, Toyota, Mercury. I've NEVER had a transmission repair in any of them. None of them were US-nameplate trannys, even the Mercury Villager (Nissan engine/tranny).
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,455
    And, I agree.

Every model has its weakest point, and folks prone to make a point at any cost can always find ammo on the Internet to prove their point.

Like I stated in an earlier posting, since the mid 70's, I've owned every domestic brand pickup truck, along with a few imports. I've never had any issue with frame rust.

Tacomas had a higher incidence of rust, due to inferior materials provided by a sub-supplier (which accepted responsibility for the inferior product).

The problem of inferior quality subsystem components can happen to any manufacturer.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Stop by a Chevy dealer often?

Obviously, I NEVER stop by a Chevy dealer...... Ever.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 389
    A big factor in the frames rusting is that it seems most trucks still don't have rustproofing on them from the factory ( or at least they didn't as re entry as ten years ago), where cars have had rustproofing pretty much figured out for a while now, I think due to the thicker metal that used to be used on tricks ( and probably still is on the frames etc. ) that it wasn't as apparent until the damage went too far ( the old Japanese trucks were as bad as the old Japanese cars up here, they rusted away just looking at them, the power trains on the other hand were pretty much indestructible). I haven't looked at recent trucks so don't know if they have rustproofing now or not.
    Obviously, I NEVER stop by a Chevy dealer...... Ever.

Clearly. You might be able to better judge the product if you did.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 298
    Why would you?
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 298
    I've had enough of them for rentals to satisfy me. Nothing they produce makes me want to visit any GM dealer when I shop for a new car. Ford has done that, not that I would buy one but I'd certainly cross shop them. As I've said before, the cars GM is making aren't necessarily bad cars, but they certainly aren't competitive in today's market.

GM has a lot of negative equity to make up for and they aren't producing products that make people want to come back. There's a reason their market share continues to drop.
    Well...and a lot of other makes to compete with than 'back then'.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    I am highly unlikely to ever shop at Chevy, but I was surprised at how much I liked the malibu rental (previous style) that I had last fall. Nice driving car and good seats.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited March 2013
    That's because the Astro was DESIGNED as a Cargo van, and then adapted to be a passenger van - which explains its miserable design and driving position - but its rugged construction and power.

I won't claim absolute certainty (there's enough of that here already!), but I'm pretty sure both the Astro and Aerostar were both introduced as both cargo vehicles and passenger vehicles...one version didn't come later.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    the early Japanese vans were like that. Thinly disguised JDM cargo vans that drove like it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Clearly. You might be able to better judge the product if you did.

Years ago, (admit things were different then), I banked the local Chevrolet dealer, but drove Lincolns at the time. Every time I picked Greg up for lunch, he would whine about why I wouldn't buy a car from him, good naturedly, of course. I would just look at him, and one day he replied, "I know, I wouldn't either".

Fast Forward from 1990 to 2013, and I rent cars a lot. When I'm forced to drive GM, I still find, although better, they're not that good. And Chevy is still the pitts. Oldest technology, little problems, and unremarkable design.

Add to that, my dealer's license, which I use as a hobby, but I drive most everything. I liked the Avalanche - but that's over. Plus, the one I did own overheated when towing, and the A/C was horrible.

The only Chevy I like the drive of, is the Impala - drives pretty nicely, if you like the old "boulevard ride", which I do. Certainly not up to date though.

Not up to date! A good slogan for Chevy, IMO. Yeah, I think I judge the product pretty well, but thanks for the suggestion. :blush:
    You like the drive of the Impala better than the Malibu? I'd guess you're older than me!
  • js06gvjs06gv Frisco, TXPosts: 168
    edited March 2013
    I just sold my 2005 Avalanche. I loved it and was the best vehicle I've owned up to this point. Would've replaced it with one of the last of the 13s, but switched to Ford. There's nothing out there that can match the functionality of the Av; however, Ford has it all over GM when it comes to power, room and electronics. I ended up with an F150 King Ranch.

I did a lot of towing with my Av, but not one problem with overheating or A/C.

2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2011 Ford Mustang GT, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

This discussion has been closed.