Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Has anyone here seen the Acura commercial I'm talking about? Some have opinions, but I've not heard if anyone's actually seen it. (On Edmunds? An opinion without seeing something?!!!! ;))
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    LOL!

Reminds me of Microsoft using the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up" song when it introduced Windows XP. At least, I think it was XP.

If you start me up
    If you start me up I'll never stop
    If you start me up
    I've been running hot
    You got me ticking gonna blow my top
    If you start me up
    You make a grown man cry
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,174
    Too funny Andre!
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't say it's honesty, more like arrogance... Big surprise there :sick:

lol, "The Standard of the World" means squat outside of the RenCen. Never mentioned in any competitors commercials for as long as I can remember. It's usually the Big 3 European brands and lexus nipping at each other.

Maybe when Mercedes starts offering Landau roofs, gobs of Chrome and Bling, Wire wheels and curb feelers then they'll reference Cadillac as competition. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a picture of a Ganged out Escalade in the cafeterias just get a chuckle out of what the "Yanks" think qualifies as a Proper Flagship. :D
    Maybe when Mercedes starts offering Landau roofs, gobs of Chrome and Bling, Wire wheels and curb feelers then they'll reference Cadillac as competition.

Do you live in Florida, and have you seen a Cadillac in the last four decades?

The reality of your comment is as ridiculous as my saying a new Camry looks like this:

http://www.classycars.org/toyota.1961.toyopet.html

What's arrogant is mentioning the owner's "luxury coffeemaker" (and I quote) in an ad for an Acura.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Up - we chat up commercials in this thread, let me grab a link for you:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee92e94/7083#MSG7083

We were just laughing at the luxury this, luxury that, ad from Acura.
    Appreciate that; I don't look at that thread and it's good to see someone besides me thinks it's rather asinine. Here, talking about an entire commercial only gets compared to a 100-year old Cadillac slogan.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,187
    That Packard tag line is clever, but it would never pass the political correctness filter these days.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,744
    You continue to amaze me. "Standard of the World" is a 100-year old slogan of Cadillac's. Nothing more.

I appreciate that I'm amazing. :blush:

Saying "nothing more" is sort of a get out of jail free pass for Caddy. What if they said they were the best horseshoe maker in America? If it was 100 years old but wrong, wound't that make it a bit ridiculous?

That might have been a good slogan 100 years ago. After the last 30 years and a BK, it's kind of arrogantly laughable to me.

When customers KNOW there's not much behind a slogan, I'd say it's counter-productive. JMHO.
    Just guessing...work for the airlines or an industry that has an airline tie-in?

Not even close. ;)
    It refers to standardized parts. Way back in the day, no two cars were totally alike. Cadillac learned how to make standardized parts for automobiles from firearms manufacturers.

I always thought Henry Ford was given credit for creating the assembly line, which required standardization of parts.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,187
    edited April 2013
    Here's my take on superlative tag lines versus reality:

"The Ultimate Driving Machine" is no more realistic for BMW today than "Standard of the World" is for Cadillac, because BMW has gone soft. While the BMW slogan may have been appropriate a few years ago, when they rewarded drivers with a sharp, precise, responsive handling experience, combined with a supple, well controlled ride, most BMW models have become porky cruisers in recent years. Nice cruisers, for sure, but no longer the "Ultimate Driving Machines."

One could argue that while Cadillac is going in the right direction, and quickly transforming itself from your grandfather's Cadillac to models that can challenge the best foreign luxury brands, BMW is no longer the "Ultimate." No? Well, let's take another look after Cadillac has it's 2014 CTS, and its 7-Series and S-Class counterparts on the road.

While Cadillac's chances of ever again becoming the "Standard Of The World" (that it arguably was from, say, 1949 through the mid or late 1960s) may not be great, I'd predict that BMW's chances of again truly becoming "The Ultimate Driving Maching" are even smaller. It's hard to be the clear "Standard" or "Ultimate" in a world where there are no bad luxury vehicles, and where most are very good.

To me, at this time Ferrari or Porsche have a stronger claim on Standard Of The World and The Ultimate Driving Machine than either Cadillac or BMW.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    Cadillac predates Ford by a year. Henry Ford was actually involved with Cadillac before he had his own company. Cadillac was a company independent of GM and predates GM by 6 years.
    edited April 2013
    ...have you seen a Cadillac in the last four decades?

LOL, didn't realize they built this 4 decades ago?

Other than searching online, have you seen a single one of these on the road? I mean, a single one? I haven't, and I'd wager that most posters here have not, either.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,897
    I thought I read somewhere that Oldsmobile was actually the first to use assembly line techniques to build cars? I think Ford just gets so much credit because they did it on a much wider scale, and with a much cheaper, more "everyman" type of car.
    Those cars are hideous, but to be fair, you can't blame GM for them. Those atrocities are aftermarket jobs. I thought I read somewhere that Cadillac actually forbade dealers from putting those aftermarket roofs on cars, but I'm sure there are loopholes to get around it.

You know why things like that exist? Simple. Because there are still some people who WANT them! :blush:
    edited April 2013
    I've seen Benzes and other cars 'tricked out' like that. Like andre says, one can't generalize and blame the manufacturer and biggest cross-section of customers for that. That'd be as bad as me saying that all Lexus employees and customers have cameras with them at all times.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    If it makes any of you feel better, I actually saw a new Lexus ES decked out like that! The dealers and buyers are the ones to blame for this tacky added-on garbage, not the manufacturer.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    I've only ever seen one MB with a vinyl top stuck on, and it had a bad run-in with late 70s California. A few were probably concocted in Florida, too. But, even googling it comes up with little.

Caddy should revoke a dealer's franchise for that. However, that crap really sold once upon a time, so those short term profits probably outweighed the damage to brand equity.
    The original comments remind me of something I came to, myself, almost thirty years ago--those who believe they are the most enlightened and open-minded, are often the most narrow-minded.
    edited April 2013
    It happens to the best of them. :sick: But in this case, take note of the license plate, and take it with a grain of salt.
    There's a Kia Amanti in my area decked out like that. It's horrible.

I've also seen something like this:

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Those cars are hideous, but to be fair, you can't blame GM for them. Those atrocities are aftermarket jobs. I thought I read somewhere that Cadillac actually forbade dealers from putting those aftermarket roofs on cars, but I'm sure there are loopholes to get around it.

As long as emissions systems, and any other safely/regulated systems aren't touched, its legal to modify a vehicle, whether at the owner or dealer level. Part of that "free speech" thing.

You know why things like that exist? Simple. Because there are still some people who WANT them!

You hit the nail on the head.

What looks worse, cars like those here in these pics, or pickup trucks jacked up so high one needs a step ladder to enter/exit? At least trucks like that don't need to be put on a rack for oil changes.

To compliment Uplander's adage, "Good amounts of money and good tastes are not always complimentary".
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,626
    There was a Cadillac Dealer in the L.A. area that had two bays in their shop dedicated to installing aftermarket garbage.

These guys would install ugly Vogue tires on gaudy rims. They would install thick padded vinal tops with "carriage bars". They would mount continental kits on the rear bumpers and put "trunk straps" on the trunks. They wold mount hideous Rolls Royce type grills on cars etc.

One of the installers told me that it wasn't uncommon for a Cadillac buyer to pay an additional 5000.00 at that ime for these horrific add ons.
    That photo looks chopped but I'm sure they exist at Leisure World.

Rounder cars look especially bad with vinyl roof conversions.

I've seen the kits called "simulated convertibles". :sick:
    Nope, it's real. Here's another (note the plates):

Vinyl top, cabriolet roof, roadster top, etc.

I've also seen a Fusion (original style), of all things, wearing the same horror.
    That's what it comes down to - money. Probably moved a few extra cars too, so the suits were appeased. But, money and sales at what cost.
    When will this die? Ugh...
    When will this die? Ugh...

I dunno. You'd think that as the older people who associate whitewalls and those aftermarket roofs with luxury die off, demand would drop off. But, that kind of stuff is still fashionable among the wanna be pimps and such. :sick:
This discussion has been closed.