Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Are you suggesting that real pimps reject those styles?
  • berriberri Posts: 3,996
    I just read something about retired folks in Florida hanging out at places for oldies dancing. I wonder if that disco carriage has a crushed velour interior too?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,885
    Wouldn't surprise me. Probably some hideous plood, too.

Funny image from wikipedia
  • berriberri Posts: 3,996
    I actually remember some years back when Toyota dealers offered faux gold emblems and lettering on vehicles like Camry for around $600. So now the dealers are just pimpin' it up more for bigger margins. If Pops wants to buy it, what the heck. Maybe he's looking for some Sansabelt patterned pants to go with a contrasting striped knit shirt, and white belt and bucks. The Florida splendor of it all - I'm guessing the Villages!
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    Cadillac predates Ford by a year. Henry Ford was actually involved with Cadillac before he had his own company. Cadillac was a company independent of GM and predates GM by 6 years.

Thanks for the info lemko!
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,324
    edited April 2013
    A girl I dated, cute but dumb as a rock, bought a few years after we quit dating, a Camry (probably about a '92? Rounded body with wall-to-wall light in the back and "CAMRY" spelled out in the middle of the light in the back). I remember her telling me at work, "It has the Gold Package!". All the emblems and nameplates were gold. Even Toyota wasn't immune. ;)

It was one of those Camrys that after a few years, there'd be missing letters across the back.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Is that why you dumped her?

Justified. ;)
    Yeah, that would suck. :D

I know 2 people who own those so I'll let them know.
    Is that why you dumped her?

Nah, I was married by the time she got the Camry. When we dated, she had just bought a new '87 Mercury Cougar--dove gray non-metallic with blackwall tires. It didn't do much for me either. ;)
    My dad had an '86 Cougar. It was the car I drove to prom.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    edited April 2013
    I'd say the PT was most definitely a success for Chrysler. They built it for eleven model years with practically zero change.

A success that drove and led them straight to disaster and bankruptcy. But hey, that's what happens when you sell Neons by another name (which is all the PT Cruiser was).

For the record, this was their 2nd bankruptcy depending on how you perceive bailouts or what would have happened without them.

I wonder how many PT Cruiser owners knew they were buying a Neon with a PT cruiser sheet metal look and decal on it?

Had they known would they have still bought it?
    I go weeks without seeing a Miata. Sales-wise, there'd be no comparison between the two.

I agree, you can still easily buy a new Miata today, but you can't buy a new PT; despite two bailouts by the US government and one by FIAT.
    If I worked at Best Buy the first thing I would tell you is that most 98% of everything they sell is all complete junk made in China, except for the stuff in the high end Magnolia section.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Fry's tried to sell my brother in law an ACER 27" monitor for $279.99 and then promptly sold him on an extended warranty for like 65.99.

First, I told him for that kind of money he could get a high quality monitor from a reputable company that a warranty wouldn't be needed for, and second, to make them price match the online price of 219.99, and refund the extended warranty he'd never use on a flat screen LED monitor.

Shocking how overpriced the warranty was and that they still tried to sell those for something as reliable as a flat screen.

Not so shocking was the savings by having them price match an online retailer; I'd say that's typical with Best Buy or Fry's. About 20%-30% is what you can save by doing your research, and nowadays, they will price match.
    edited April 2013
    I agree, you can still easily buy a new Miata today, but you can't buy a new PT; despite two bailouts by the US government and one by FIAT.

I don't truly believe you can be this ill-informed. The PT has easily outsold the Miata, and the Miata is barely on the sales radar today. BTW, Ford injected money into Mazda.

Furthermore, the first Chrysler loan was in 1979, over twenty years before the PT arrived.

Sheesh.
    edited April 2013
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    Most folks can't afford high-end stereo. There was this high end stereo place near me. My friend and I went in there to look as he was a big-time audiophile. You're looking to spend at least $25K. The folks who go to Best Buy are probably splurging on credit or layaway as it is.