Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    I don't know if you are all familiar with the latest internet fad - the Harlem Shake. Well I found a link where it has infected edmunds.com!!

Edmunds is shaking
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    They are fine cars. Not nearly as many issues as some older ones. No stick for a few years, though. Buying new can be pricey, but there will be some blowout prices and leases when the new model is announced. Eventually there will be a US-built version, too.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    I wouldn't be good at applying the pressure. And yes, turning people away - or advising people not to buy too much car. 18 year old devilspawn of an investor visa nitwit with a week old license wants a SLS? Not so fast.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would recommend whatever gave me the highest bonus! :D

SLS? No, you need the roadster, so people can SEE you, kid!
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I'm not being vain, but I don't believe I've ever bought a new Chevy where the salesman knew as much as I did about the product. Some, should have been ashamed, they were so ill-informed.

I absolutely agree.

While cars have grown to be far more complicated than they were in, say 1980, what product hasn't? So, more complicated is no excuse, IMO...

From my experience, the car salesperson that really invests his time wisely by learning the product he's selling can do well.

I won't limit it to cars sales, though... I see the same thing at places like Best Buy, cellphone stores, etc.

I find I routinely know far more about a product I'm interested in buying than the person selling it to me. Is it any wonder so many avoid the salesperson experience, and but off he Internet?

Too few salespeople see learning their product as a wise investment.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    edited February 2013
    I could sell minivans. Assuming the buyer wanted to pay cash. If they wanted to lease or pair their phone, I'd run for the exits. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'd be upselling all the tech options and helping them pair phones they didn't know had bluetooth.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I agree that knowing trucks is harder than knowing cars...and always has been.

Back when new Chevys were a hobby for me, instead of like now, I knew every option and model, but even then, trucks were confusing because of the plethora of axle ratios, capacities, sizes, ad nauseum. A good truck salesman really has to know what's right for his customer...or more likely, the customer has to know.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited February 2013
    A good truck salesman really has to know what's right for his customer...or more likely, the customer has to know.

The guy I know who sells Chevy specializes in trucks. He definitely knows Chevy trucks inside and out and all of the different configurations along with capacities etc. It may depend on the dealer and location too. I'm sure here in central Illinois, truck sales are large enough to justify a specialized truck sales staff.

But yeah, in general trucks are far more complicated to sell than cars these days. Heck, I know what I'd want and I sometimes get confused. Different cabs and beds, along with other options have a big affect on cargo and towing capacity.

The customer needs to know what they want or need and the sales man needs to understand what questions to ask.

You can't just ask "how much does the trailer you tow weigh?". It's more complicated than that. Towing a 26' 8k lb boat is a lot different than towing a 8k lb 30' box or travel trailer. Many people don't understand that. Sure my Expedition is rated to tow 9k lbs. But it really isn't if I have 8 people in it and a weeks worth of gear on the roof rack. If I attempted to pull a 9k lb trailer with 15% tongue weight, it wouldl be severely overloaded and unsafe due to exceeding the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and possible the GCWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating), not to mention being over the rear axle weight rating.
    Some video is out now:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/hyundai-elantras-alleged-unintended-accelerat- ion-sends-teen-po/

I don't see how the throttle gets stuck, the hydraulic brakes fail, and the transmission can't shift to neutral all at the same time.

I bet he was speeding and didn't want to get caught, so he just kept his foot in it.

The family says they are not yet ready to talk - why? Trying to get the story straight first?
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,354
    Young new-car buyers--those between 16 and 35 years old--continued to be attracted to import brands in 2012, and higher percentages of them selected compact, sporty car models, according to data collected by J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network(R) (PIN). :blush:

Big 3 Absent

Regards,
    OW
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I find it amusing that after our kids finish college and start working they often start to better appreciate their parent's life experiences and decisions. I will say however, that I don't think everyone is against Detroit product per se, it's just that they need to prove they have a better offer for our purchase, regardless of which generation is doing the buying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Detroit is really acomplishing that right now.
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure Detroit is really acomplishing that right now.

Unfortunately for them...fortunately for the other brands.

Toyota and its luxury Lexus brand topped the charts again in J.D. Power’s vehicle dependability study while Ram climbed into the top 10.

The Asian automaker’s Lexus brand ranked first and Toyota was tied with Lincoln for third in the study which measures problems owners report in their 2010 model-year cars after three years of ownership.

Porsche was ranked second and Mercedes-Benz was fifth.

While the Detroit Three continued to narrow the gap on quality scores in the study, seven Toyota and Lexus models had the best scores in their segment awards — more than any other manufacturer in 2013.

“More so than other automaker, when they have choices to make, they almost always make the choice to maximize the dependability of their vehicle,” said David Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power and Associates. “It’s something they have been doing for 30 years.”
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited February 2013

Maybe it's just me, but that is ugly.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    Wow - that anime is worse than some of the recent Asian stuff! It just looks angry and ugly.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    I think it looks better than the Ford fish mouth on the Fusion.
    Nah, just needs a little make-up!

All better! ;)
    I was shocked, and Jeep is usually conservative with styling.

All it needs are round headlights (one set, not two), and maybe a tamer lower grille.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    I think the main thing is the heavy use of chrome on the front, make that black or body colour and it would be better, I will reserve judgment on the rest until I see it in real life ( could be okay or could be ugly, will have to wait and see) it certainly is different in any case.
    The contrast certainly doesn't help.

I predict an emergency refresh in the 2nd year, which is sadly common nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.