Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    So what do you do when you need to look up a mac n' cheese recipe on your Driver Communications Data Screen? :P

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,848
    Here's another little mind game. Think about buying a new car. What brand comes to mind first? Why do you think is was that make and model?

Dodge Charger. But, that's because I've been kinda wanting one, ever since the 2011 restyle.
    So what do you do when you need to look up a mac n' cheese recipe on your Driver Communications Data Screen?

Oh, mine's a fairly strippo model, so it doesn't have that. Heck, it took me a couple months to even notice the little "step" and "reset" buttons on the steering wheel! One day I pressed the "reset" button out of curiosity to see what it did, only to see the trip odometer go to zero. There's a button on the gauge cluster that cycles through the odometer, two trip odometers, the "Eco" setting which lets you know if it's running on 6 or 8 cylinders, and outside temp. Turns out the step button on the steering wheel just does the same thing.

Actually, I did open the owner's manual once, when the tire pressure warning light came on. It mentioned that sometimes, even after you've properly inflated all of your tires, it can take up to TWENTY miles for the damn light to go off! Luckily, I discovered that it usually goes off after a few seconds worth of continuous driving. It's rare my truck even gets driven 20 miles at a time, so in theory that light could almost forever!
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Have you seen the SIZE of the owner's manuals in some 2013 cars? It's absurd!

When I buy any new product (of any significance) I go to the manufacturer's website and download the manual(s) to my laptop and iPad. Much easier to go directly to the section you want and get your answers, and much faster/convenient. All your manuals in one place.

If I was younger I would also download them to my iPhone, but at my age, presbyopia has set in, and my arm isn't long enough to hold the phone far enough away from my face so I can read the tiny text.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,506
    Ha, that reminds me of when I visited my mother last week, she had somehow made the temperature display in the car (Camry, of course) switch to metric. She had no idea what happened, she was assuming some of the pixels had died :shades: ...didn't even think to look in the manual. One button changed it back.

My new car has the major manual topics loaded into the car's computer to be read on the nav screen - but minor details refer to owners manual.
    I'll never forget one time, when I was driving my grandmother around in my uncle's '88 LeBaron coupe (the one he ultimately sold me when I got married), out on the highway I switched the display to metric, where the speedo was reading over 100, and then said "hey grandmom, check out how fast we're going!"

She had a fit! :P Even after I showed her it was just the mph/kmph conversion, she still wasn't overly impressed with me that day.
    Yeah, every company can make lemons - even Lexus (I see quite a few complaints over interior materials on later models). My friend had bought the warranty on that Accord, so it was fixed several times under that, too.

Can't think of many domestics I would want from Y2K either.
    Digital speedometers, always just on the verge of coming back. New trend is digital simulated analog units. I wonder if I can get my new car to speak in German, my previous car would do it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Actually, now that you mention it, a black on black 300c might interest me. :P

Can't think of many domestics I would want from Y2K either.

Even though I've owned two of them, an Intrepid and my Park Ave, I don't think there's really anything I'd want from that year, either. There have simply been too many years that have gone by, so even if it's a car that I might have liked when it was new, I don't know that I'd trust it anymore as a used car.

Maybe if I found a low-mileage Panther or something, but even there, you can get much newer ones at bargain-basement prices, so why settle for something almost 14 years old?

I'd be willing to go a few years further back though, and get something like a Roadmaster, Caprice, or RWD Fleetwood, though. And, even though I'm not exactly in love with my Park Ave right now, I might be willing to take a chance on a '95-99 Riviera.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Here's another little mind game. Think about buying a new car. What brand comes to mind first? Why do you think is was that make and model?

2014 Chevrolet Impala--under the guise of it being for my wife. ;)
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Just saw a new Lincoln MKZ 2.0T on the road with temporary tags. It was white with a young woman driving it which kind of surprised me. She was scooting right along with the windows down an panoramic roof open.

Interesting look, though white really isn't the best color for that car.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    So, the "mightiest nation" in the world has car companies that fail like 3rd-world manufacturers.

What a relief! :cry:

Kia, Mazda and Honda since my recent experiences are the best I've experienced in my car-buying years. Lincoln would come after, as the 2 i've owned were particularly reliable and satisfying. BMW would be next for the performance but the costs are no longer worth it, afaic. :shades:
    edited May 2013
    Would be nice to see some of these newer models with the In dash Interface contain the user manual data. heck, there are APPS being built into cars nowadays, might as well include one for searchable car info...

Absolutely! They should be voice-activated to answer your questions regarding using all that techno babble!

You're a genius!!
    Yeah, my Mom's 1988 P.O.S. Caddy had a digital readout. On one trip to Florida when she came home she asked my brother what it means when "85" kept blinking on the speedo!!!

When he told here she PAST the limits of the display, she was very impressed!

She stated, "No wonder I kept passing cars like they were in reverse!!" :surprise:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    Both unions and Detroit 3 managements totally underestimated the demand for foreign cars in general, and Japanese cars in particular. Unions were greedy, and the blindness of Detroit's executives was due partly to arrogance and denial.

The response that GM's President Smith gave to a reporter who asked how would GM compete with low priced Toyotas was very telling. Smith answered, with used Buicks." It seemed heThe exact wording of the question and answer may differ a little, but that was the essence of that exchange. I think that says a lot about the attitude of Detroit's management and the union leaders, since they also didn't get it.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited May 2013
    To expand on my choice of the Impala--to me, there's no luxury like that of interior space. Throw in quiet (which I'd expect in the car), and for under $30K for what I'd probably get, I don't know what else could touch it. Being American-built is obviously a plus for me.
    It is an overwhelming argument for you to buy the new one. No doubt about it and I never drove one yet! ;)

Seriously, your Malibu was a home run from the prior 'Bu in 2008 and this Impala is yet another cut above.

At least the bailout is finally bearing some nice fruit! :)
This discussion has been closed.