Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    For all the talk on how the Dart was looking to be a 'typical Chrysler', I find it (smile) interesting that the Jan. '14 CR says it has "much better than average" reliability in its first year. It didn't test that great to their standards though.

...whereas recent GMs (Cruze I believe) tested much better but are showing worse reliability. Just think if we could combine the two.
    And what if there were a "boycott", and what if it were tremendously successful? What good would that have done? Ford and Chrysler could not have possibly absorbed 250,000 or so workers + whatever suppliers also tanked.

Of course if there were >250K workers that were excess, then the reality was the auto market was bloated and overstaffed and needed trimming. It has happened to aerospace, it has happened to retail, it happened to airlines. No reason the auto market should be so special, really.
    edited December 2013
    Well, the way I define balance is that any poster says positive and negative things about any make, with some measure of objectivity.

Not quite getting it why you're bringing up this hot button allegation again.

Posters have lamented in the past the lack of "balance" in postings. I was pointing out that balance can be interpreted in a number of ways.

As far as telling others here on the board what they are to say or to believe, I don't think it is a requirement of the Rules of the Road that someone believe and post in a specific belief manner.

I don't see any mention where posters are being told what to say or believe, did I miss something? That's an inflammatory remark that is unjustified.

Specifically, I don't believe anyone has to post that they like things about the imports just to satisfy a forum requirement.

Did somebody say it was a requirement to post things they like about imports? I must have missed it. There seems to be some stretching of the truth going on here.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    edited December 2013
    >I don't see any mention where posters are being told what to say or believe,

"What is not balance in my mind is when some posters say only good about preferred makes, and only bad about other makes, ignoring other sides of both equations." \\

>Did somebody say it was a requirement to post things they like about imports?

"Well, the way I define balance is that any poster says positive and negative things about any make, with some measure of objectivity.

:)

This message has been approved.

• A new study released by the Center For Automotive Research suggests that the bailout of GM and Chrysler had beneficial effects on the U.S. economy:

Effects of the Bailout on the U.S Economy
    Was the best thing and doing it quickly was a major factor in reducing the drastic impact a slow complete failure, most likely without a Phoenix rising from the ashes as some would claim, would have had. While I would like to have seen different political handling of the unions by the administration, saving GM definitely affected the whole country positively.

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,443
    "But that is just the point. GM would have gone into bankruptcy, and emerged leaner and meaner. The brand would have changed, but I don't think it would have been gone. And a rejuvenated company would have honored the warranties."

That's a rather optimistic opinion on how warranty claims would have been handled.

It's pretty clear that private sector investors would have been extremely reluctant to blindly accept that potential exponential costs.

Lots of companies enter bankruptcy so they can basically clear their liabilities (including warranties) and create a "clean slate" so that another company or investment group will buy/finance them.

I certainly don't think is was a given that warranties would have been carried forward without a huge government contribution making it a requirement.
    edited December 2013
    >I don't see any mention where posters are being told what to say or believe,

"What is not balance in my mind is when some posters say only good about preferred makes, and only bad about other makes, ignoring other sides of both equations." \\

>Did somebody say it was a requirement to post things they like about imports?

"Well, the way I define balance is that any poster says positive and negative things about any make, with some measure of objectivity.

So glad to see you recognize that those were opinions and not some sort of commands to other posters. We wouldn't want anybody to misunderstand that. ;)

In other news, an interesting article from Forbes, although I think a bit patronizing:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahelliott/2013/12/13/barra-at-gm-is-it-good-when- - -detroits-biggest-automaker-gets-a-woman-for-a-boss/

I'd make the link cleaner, but the link tools seem to be missing (along with emotorcons) these days.

I found this Bloomberg article on Akerson quite a bit better:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-10/akerson-led-gm-from-ipo-to-end-of-gover- nment-motors-.html

OK, I'm going to try and post here.

Look at what I saw when I went for a walk in my neighborhood a couple of days ago. It's a Caddy!

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,326
    edited December 2013

About the Cruze...funny that CR's Christmas-edition mag said nothing about the declining reliability mentioned earlier...only that they liked the car. Are their records on, ahem, 'reliability' being updated monthly now?

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,067

@tlong said: OK, I'm going to try and post here.

Look at what I saw when I went for a walk in my neighborhood a couple of days ago. It's a Caddy!

NICE!!!

@uplanderguy said: About the Cruze...funny that CR's Christmas-edition

When I drive through a couple local stores looking at potential new cars for me, I don't see Cruzes in the service area waiting for service beyond a minimal number which are likely oil change type maintenance. Same for the 8th generation Malibus.

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,245
    edited December 2013

Of the D3, only Ford/Lincoln made the IIHS Top Safety list. :o

This year’s Top Safety Pick Plus list includes the Acura MDX and RLX; the Ford Fusion; the two-door and four-door Honda Accord, Civic Hybrid and Odyssey; the Infiniti Q50; the Lincoln MKZ; the Mazda 3, Mazda 6 and CX-5; the Mercedes-Benz M-Class; the Mitsubishi Outlander; the Subaru Forester, Legacy and Outback; the Toyota Highlander and Prius; and the Volvo S60, S80 and XC60.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919

@tlong, if case anyone doesn't know, you can click your "small" photo and it'll blow up almost as big as that Caddy. The driveway is barely big enough for it.

edited December 2013

IIHS names 22 cars as Top Safety Pick Plus

Those passing all the test include:

• Honda Civic hybrid

• Mazda3 built after October 2013

• Toyota Prius built after November 2013

• Ford Fusion

• Chrysler 200

• Honda Accord 2-door

• Honda Accord 4-door

• Mazda 6

• Subaru Legacy

• Subaru Outback

• Infiniti Q50

• Lincoln MKZ

• Volvo S60

• Volvo S80

• Mazda CX-5 built after October 2013

• Mitsubishi Outlander

• Subaru Forester

• Toyota Highlander

• Acura MDX

• Mercedes-Benz M-Class built after August 2013

• Volvo XC60

• Honda Odyssey

• Just 2 American brands on that list---why?

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,326

Good question--although I wouldn't pay a premium price for a car because it's on the list. I tend to glance over bragging about safety items in car's ads. Probably because I've driven 39 years and a lot of miles, with zero accidents.

• True enough--the dynamics of "real world" accidents are so complex that you cannot call any car on earth "safe". Still, it is odd that so few American brands appear.

edited December 2013

Last year, good or acceptable small overlap performance was required only for TOP SAFETY PICK+. Vehicles that lacked it could still earn TOP SAFETY PICK, without the plus, if they had good ratings in the Institute's other tests (see "Family cars trump luxury models in rigorous new crash test; top performance earns 13 cars 2013 TOP SAFETY PICK+," Dec. 20, 2012). For 2014 that's no longer the case. The higher award now recognizes vehicles that earn at least a basic rating for front crash prevention, in addition to meeting the TOP SAFETY PICK criteria. Besides good or acceptable small overlap performance, these include good performance in the longstanding moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests.

iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/48/9/1

Now mfg's need to scramble to upgrade to that next level which is great, afaic. :)

@uplanderguy said: Good question--although I wouldn't pay a premium price for a car because it's on the list. I tend to glance over bragging about safety items in car's ads. Probably because I've driven 39 years and a lot of miles, with zero accidents.

Of course you do realize that this doesn't mean much, as you could still have that accident (and no, I'm not wishing that on anybody). I've also never had a significant accident in all of my driving years, but I still try to be careful -- and I know that while I consider myself a skilled driver, there's a lot of luck that enters into it. I've known at least two people who've died in auto accidents, through no fault of their own.