Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627

I'm not Toyota fan, but the headlines sure seem a bit overblown. Reading the article, I read nothing about a fire potential from electrical or mechanical problems, but of fabric backing that doesn't meet fire resistance code during a Korean safety test. Big difference IMO.

Now, it is a big deal for Toyota since they are halting sales of US made vehicles, but if I owned one of the affected vehicles, I wouldn't be worried. Also, more negative press for Toyota to navigate through. I imagine some supplier heads are going to roll while Toyota tries to figure out how substandard material made it into the end product.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    edited February 1

@andre1969 said: I also stumped him, inadvertently, when I asked him about the 3.2 that was in the Cherokee on their sales floor. I asked him if it was an all-new engine or based on the 3.6. He didn't know, but I didn't hold that against him. I told him I could look it up online. BTW, now that I think about it, that Cherokee was the reason why I went off on the transmission tangent. That sucker had a 9-speed. Seriously? They need NINE speeds these days? For a cute-ute?! I'm sure there has to be a diminishing point of return at some point.

Some of that is Chrysler's fault. Had a similar issue with my Ram, I bought a '14 model in Sept. and the dealer had very little info on the 14 model. It took several days of talking to various people at Chrysler corporate to give me an answer on tow ratings as they released the '14 model before the new ratings were available. Also, at the time, Ram didin't have any '14 1500 series info on their website either. So for a salesman to have any useful info, they'd have to be following many online sources, and that's a lot to ask. The manufacture should have the info available for sales people before the product is out, but that's not always the case.

Same with GM too. A buddy of mine has sold Chevy trucks for 20 years and he's good at it. When the new trucks came out last year, there were a lot of questions he couldn't answer for me. The new trucks were on the lot for a few months before he received any formal GM training and product update materials. So he also had a hard time answering questions regarding options, payload, and tow ratings too. And he works for a huge dealer chain, not a back woods small dealer.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited February 1

@dieselone said: I imagine some supplier heads are going to roll

The irony is that the fabric was likely woven on a Toyota loom.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,346
    edited February 2

Just an insert of a small chuckle here. Now I personally know that fintail would not do anything like this of the sort, but I am laughing. Someone sent me this. I'll assume it's in Europe somewhere because of the license plate:

http://blog.petflow.com/this-rich-jerk-was-so-mean-to-this-elderly-lady-but-what-she-did-next-left-me-speechless/

I'll say that it might be set up; seems like that's too little effort to set off the...well, you'll see.

It's an Ikea commercial. B)

edited February 2

I had seen that Ikea used it, I hadn't seen that they set it up originally as a commercial. Looking further, I see people were discussing this commercial online in 2006! Fake or not, you gotta root for the lady! LOL What possibly could IKEA be selling with that commercial?

edited February 2

What possibly could IKEA be selling with that commercial?

That's the question that always comes up, but you hear that with lots of car commercials too. The origins of the commercial are disputed - one comment said the woman was a real actress and IKEA gave her around $150 for her performance in the ad. Skeptic that I am, I think it was all staged. The ad does make me want to run out and buy an new cushion set for the POÄNG, as I'm it does for most other people. ;)

I watched zero of the game, but I just saw Bob Dylan's Chrysler commercial. No matter what you think of Chrysler....I loved the commercial! I also can't believe Bob Dylan did a commercial. Wouldn't have happened in the old days. Still, too cool IMHO.

GM had a bit of a misstep when incentive reports on new trucks got messed up. The slow sales start to the new year has lots of the manufacturers getting a bit worried about inventory stacking up.

GM truck discounts whip up an overdone fuss (usatoday.com)

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,251
    edited February 12

GM had a bit of a misstep when incentive reports on new trucks got messed up. The slow sales start to the new year has lots of the manufacturers getting a bit worried about inventory stacking up.

Meanwhile, GM is improving on dependability....

Dependability is determined by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles, with lower scores indicating higher quality. Feedback was gathered between October and December 2013.

Domestics continue to steadily close the dependability gap that foreign brands have built.

This year, domestics scored 138 compared with 130 for foreign brands. In prior years, the gap was 10 in 2013, 13 in 2012 and 18 in 2011 and 2010.

GM is seeing the benefits from cutting the number of vehicles it engineers -- going from seven brands in 2009 to four, said Dave Sargent, J.D. Power's vice president of global automotive. Sargent said it's easier to focus on a smaller number of vehicles.

Domestic automakers are "obsessed with quality and dependability right now. One of the things holding them back is this perception that their quality isn't as good as the imports. To overcome that, first of all, they have to fix the quality and, secondly, they have to fix the perception, which is even harder," Sargent said in an interview. "They know to be a winner, they've got to get this right."

• Well I don't know that having most of your brands about double that of Lexus is something to celebrate, but at least this list shows that when I've castigated MINI as being 'built by blind men", I wasn't just being a crank now was I? :)

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,698
    edited February 12

Some surprises there. Is this the 3 year study?

1 - Lexus level of lead over the others is impressive; 2 - Congrats to both Caddy and MB, two brands I didn't expect to see so high on the list; 3 - Hyundai and Kia are not looking so good; 4 - The rest of the bottom dwellers aren't a surprise

• Yeah but think of it like a golf game. The leader shoots 68, and 2nd place is 104 :)

edited February 12

@tlong, yeah, this is the three year survey.

GM celebrates high scores in J.D. Power vehicle dependability study (Detroit Free Press)

It's the usual story though:

"J.D. Power considers a problem anything that either breaks or works less well than the owner desires. A poorly placed cupholder or rough-shifting transmission, for instance, can constitute problems even though neither broke."

Although as a measure of "quality", things that don't work well mean less customer satisfaction. So it is still meaningful, since the better scoring brands must have a combination of fewer problems and fewer items that the owners feel don't work well.

Maybe I'm dreaming but didn't we used to hear more about a longer term survey from JD Power? 5 years iirc. And it was more focused on reliability.

Kind of a non-starter nowadays, since it seems models get refreshed in one year and changed out in three.

• greg128greg128 Posts: 330

Out of 22 vehicle categories in JD power's 2014 Vehicle Dependability Study measuring 3 year old examples over the last 12 months GM, Toyota and Honda dominated with GM winning 8 categories, Toy-Scion-Lex with 7, and Honda-Acura wining 6 categories. Mini won 1.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,902

I am most surprised about Jag, and congrats to Lincoln.

@Stever@Edmunds said: Maybe I'm dreaming but didn't we used to hear more about a longer term survey from JD Power? 5 years iirc. And it was more focused on reliability.

Kind of a non-starter nowadays, since it seems models get refreshed in one year and changed out in three.

How can that be accurate if the average age of cars on the road is like, 11 years? I know that I always drive my cars well over 100K.

Mine are well over average. B) When you drive them forever, a three year reliability study is better than nothing, but even then, a three year old car is just barely broken in.