Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    According to Mazda's own website, 4-wheel discs are only on the ES model.

I found a difference between the rear drum brakes on my 99 Protege DX and the 4-wheel discs on the 01 ES I had, but mostly pedal feel.
  • demmicondemmicon Posts: 2
    it's cool... i wasn't really looking for any help from some more expirienced people at all... i just took the time to register and post a question 'cause i was bored, what with having so much free time trying to find a new car and all.
    yeah, thanx guys...
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    E-mail me.
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    for the tip on the firewall passthrough. The guy at Mazda South (Mazdastuff.com) emailed me a copy of the wiring diagram after I called to see how much the shop manual was. Super nice of him. If anyone else needs it or wants it (2001) shoot me an email. They will definately get my business in the future when I order those kenwood speakers....

Meade, if I may ask another question, want guage wire did you use to power the radio? I'm concerned that since it is in the engine bay, I need something fairly substantial. I guess what a stereo shop would use to wire a sub would be ok, no?

Steve
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    No prob, dude. And I would like a copy of that wiring diagram, if you'd be so kind! I think you know my e-mail address or where to find it; if not, just shoot me another message here and I'll get it to you.

I used the wiring that came with the transceiver. It's good and thick red-and-black power cable; if I had to guess I'd say it was 10 gauge or so. Radio Snack sells a 25-foot spool of it for not mucho dinero. It had to be capable of powering a 50-watt output transmitter that draws about 12 amps when transmitting. (Another reason I don't like using the fuse block for these things.)

I'd think a car stereo shop could tell you what you need.

Meade
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    ...have some assistance for demmicon Jul 19, 2003 5:13pm?

Demmicon, we do try to help, but it's likely that the folks who might have suggestions haven't been by to see your question since you posted it. And I think that the folks who have seen your question are not the right folks, so they haven't had anything to offer.

That's really all there is to it - please don't take it personally.

It's always worth asking again, so let's see if anyone can help you this time.

:-)
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Dn;t have experience with older Proteges, but as far as reliability they are as good as any Honda or Toyota w.out a doubt. mdaffron had 2 PROs from that generation and was veery happy w/them.

Good luck!

Dinu
  • oskwioskwi Posts: 88
    I have a 2003 Mazda Protege sitting in my garage as we speak...the ES has four wheel discs while the LS has only front...I drove both before deciding on the ES version. I'm the one who actually pointed out the brake difference to the salesperson. However, both versions I test drove did have the ABS. I would assume both handle competently. My decision was primarily because of the color...ES was white while I could only get a loaded LS in green, and secondarily, because of the fog lamp and six speaker package that came with the ES.
  • nitroladynitrolady Posts: 14
    Thanks for your quick responses. My reason for wanting the LS is also because of color (want beige interior since I have a beige dog), and charcoal (ES interior) wouldn't work at all, unless I wrapped the dog up in saran wrap prior to letting her in the car ....

After all this, it turns out that the dealer can't locate the car I want (LS, beige interior, any color except black or white, ABS package, 5 speed). So I'm off to the Hyundai dealer for an Elantra (no flames, please-- I do love the Protege!) since that was my second choice.

Thanks again for your input.
  • nitroladynitrolady Posts: 14
    Didn't see your first post since I'm new to the board, but I did have a 93 Protege DX which I gave to my brother. He still has it and it has given him no problems whatsoever, which is amazing considering the fact that he lives in Phoenix, and the heat is very hard on cars. I gave it to him when it had about 70K on it and I think it now has 90K or so. I gave it to him about 3 years ago.

The only thing I can think of is that he is noticing a rhythmic and repetitive clunking (or clicking?) sound when he turns hard to the left, and a friend of his who listened to the sound told him that the 'half shafts' probably need replacing and this is common on FWD vehicles of this car's age/mileage (I personally have never heard of half shafts).

The car was wonderful to me when I had it, never had any breakdowns, failures or anything, though I did make sure to change the oil pretty religiously at 3k, and did tune-ups, and other scheduled maintenance as recommended. I also had a good mechanic who did the timing belt at 60K or so as well as resurfacing rotors, new pads, new hoses & belts, flushed radiator, tune up, etc., etc. Was a bit expensive for all that (I think $700 or so), but as I said, the car never failed me.

The car is still on it's original starter & alternator.

Hope this helps.

Nitrolady
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Dog in a seran wrap - I'd rather walk all my life! Now if I had a cat, I might do something unspeakably evil to it - but never to a dog :)
    Your logic is sound, get the beige interior car - for all practical purposes, the braking with rear drums will be great as well, if not exactly class leading!

HALF shafts? He probably has torn boots on his CV Axle joints (Constant Velocity) - which kinda look like half shafts, so I can imagine the reference makes some sense. I tore mine up in the 60s (60K/65K) by tearing up a 30-mile gravelly road (Pikes Peak) :) Cost a small fortune (not really!) to repair - I got it done for around 250 total including labour for both axles, with a 12-month warranty.

Demmicon - Older Pros - there are numerous owners of older Pros and even 323's that swear by their reliability, build quality and safety. Ask Mdaffron to tell you his favorite story about his 40mph rear-ending of a Volvo Wagon in his 92LX! He promptly went out and bought another, which gave him great service as well.

Other protege clubs and groups may have more anecdotal stories that point to the reliability of the Pro for the last 2-3 generations :)
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    That is actually a good idea. At least the dog would be too stupid to realize what you were doing to it. Cats are too smart to allow anyone to wrap them in Saran Wrap.

Actually, I influenced my wife to get a black dog to match the interior color of the P5. As for the Miata, that dog will never set foot in the "my car."
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    "As for the Miata, that dog will never set foot in the "my car."

I feel the same way about food in my car - and it's not even a Miata. Nothing enters the cabin unless it leaves it as clean as it was before it/he/she came in. Therefore, my muddy soccer shoes and their grass-stained socks travel next to the Fabreeze bottle and Armor-All in the trunk :)

Dinu
    Obsessive about his car(s)
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    "Therefore, my muddy soccer shoes and their grass-stained socks travel next to the Fabreeze bottle and Armor-All in the trunk"

I suppose that is true. I could make her put the dog in the trunk.
    ... only cats deserve to be put in the trunk. Preferably in seran wrap (TM)
    The cargo tray and organizer in the 6 is awesome.

Required content: Do they make something similar for the Pro/P5?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Why not buy an Element as a second car? No carpet to worry about and the seats are washable. Also, with the seats up Spot or Tiger would have more than enough room to move around. And if they have an "accident" you can just wipe it up. The Element may be funny-looking but I feel it's the perfect car if you have pets that frequently travel with you.
    ... even if the owner feels nauseous and has this overwhelming desire to puke because s/he just saw his own car's reflection in a store window while passing, it'll be a cinch to clean up.

I actually asked the Honda dealership I went to with a friend who was hybrid shopping whether the Element came standard with throw-up bags, or whether they were a part of the first-aid kit/package. I waited until they showed what terrible salespeople they were and I confirmed that my friends wouldn't buy their car from there.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Good chance my 2nd car will be an Element in a few months.

I'll follow you around in it and make you feel sick all day!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    If we could've found a 5-speed 4WD Element for close to invoice we would have one instead of the Dodge truck we just bought. They are ugly (to some people) but they drive so darn good and are very functional.