Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    I would think retrofitting the steering wheel would be "easier" than the taillamps.
  • kentwongkentwong Posts: 36
    Does viewer notice the P5 is 4 inches shorter than the sedan (info from mazdausa.com). I called Mazda today and asked them if the two cars should have the same specs. I'd been told that "they are different cars". Therefore, I guess the truth is P5 is 171.3 inches long rather than 175.3 inches. Edmunds.com shall change the specs on P5 ASAP.
  • newpro4menewpro4me Posts: 14
    I saw my first Pro5 today. Silver, automatic. Great looking vehicle. I had hoped to see it in bright yellow. I asked about the "S" plan and they said they would accept it only on vehicles on the lot or special orders. Probably wouldn't be a good deal for them on a dealer transfer. My wife is looking for a 2001 ES, White, with premium package. Kind of hard to come by. Might have to just order it. Mazda dealership in Columbia, SC has about 35 2001, but all are DX or LX and only one LX2.0 with a moonroof. Got to find the ES!!!
    Yes, I think this has been mentioned on this forum. As to whether "they are different cars", I guess it depends on how one defines different. For example, if you consider them different when their taillamps are not interchangeble, then yes. They're different. Hehe.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    Thanks again for the info. I know about the Doc fee. The instructions we got from our purchasing dept. specifically stated that we were not to be dunned for this fee. So I'll make sure of that. The only price I got so far was over the phone from a salesman who estimated (he said he was sure he was within $100) $13,700 for an ES with a moonroof (5 spd) on the S plan. He also said the rebate was $1,000. College rebate was not used. I'm wondering now if he was lowballing to get me to come in, unless the moonroof ic being credit back as some of you suggested. He was the only salesman willing to give a price over the phone, the others wanted me to come in, why I don't know. I've also been told by the dealers that I need to have my S plan pin number by calling Ford before they will do the sale.
  • The invoice price for a 2001 ES with moonroof and no other options should be $15,565 (includes dest. charge). If your S plan pricing was like mine, it will be 1.14% below invoice, or 15,565-218= 15,347. Subtract the $1200 rebate (the $500 general rebate which applies to ES's plus the $700 moonroof credit- I think the salesman got your rebate wrong) and you get 14,147, plus sales tax and tags and title transfer fee. So it does sound like he is lowballing you by about $447, assuming the car he gave you a quote on is truly an ES. I would call the salesman back and go over the above figures with him and see what he says. Have him pull the invoice if he can-the S plan price is printed on it.
    You don't get $1,200 off the S-Plan price. Since S-Plan is based on the invoice, you get $560 knocked off the invoice (slightly less off the S-Plan price) and $500 in rebate.
  • The dealer I bought from last week gave me the entire $700, with the S plan pricing! He had me sign forms to the effect that I was assigning the entire rebate back to him. Maltb, if you're out there, isn't that how it's supposed to be done? Should I send my dealer a check back for the ~$140???? :o((
    Hey, if that's the case, great. I stand corrected. More money in my pocket.
  • stevewpsistevewpsi Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2001 Mazda Protege ES three weeks ago. I have driven over 500 miles now and the car handles great, but I feel that the ride is not a "soft" one. I can really feel many of the bumps, especially over roads that are not smooth. Is this due to the sport suspension? I test drove an 2.0 LX and do not remember feeling a bumpy ride. I would appreciate if any 2001 ES Protege owners can respond and let me know if they experience a bumpy or hard ride. I am not sure if I should bring it in for the service department to check the suspension or if this is normal for the ES Protege ride. Please advise and thanks for your help!

For hkchan;
    I purchased the car three weeks ago under the "S" plan and received the $500.00 rebate. The moonroof rebate of $700.00 that hollenhorst2 talks about is news to me. Is it correct and when did Mazda introduce this? Thanks.
    The ES has a firmer suspension than the LX, not sure about the LX2.0.

The new promotion started 5/3/01 or 5/4/01.
  • djmax813djmax813 Posts: 30
    To make a long story short, A local Mazda dealer quoted me 15900 for a loaded auto es w/premium pack, mats etc. That sounds fair enought but maybe not now that i am reading about some s-plan. can someone please explain what it is and how I can use it?
  • I think it really is normal for the ES suspension to be a bit stiffer than the LX. I have an ES, but never have driven an LX, so I really can't give you a comparative answer. However, I completely understand what you're saying. There is probably a little bit of a tradeoff between ride comfort and better handling, but personally I think it's well worth it in the case of the ES. One thing you should definitely do if you haven't done so already is check your tires' air pressure. I think 32 psi is recommended. After I got mine home from the dealer, 3 of mine were 35. It did help, albeit slightly, as far as ride comfort was concerned, to lower them to 32.

Regarding the rebate, I think it only started about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago (I bought mine one week ago), so you probably missed out on it. You could call Mazda N.A., though to find out the exact date it started to be sure you aren't entitled to it.
    Do you own a 2001 Mazda Protege ES? Have you test driven one? If so, have you experienced an unusually bumpy ride or tight ride. Please advise. Do you think there is a problem with the car that I am driving. The dealer said it is due to a tight suspension system.

I picked up the car April 30, maybe Mazda will honor the rebate for the moon roof. That would amount to another $700.00 dollars. I believe it is an issue with Mazda, not the dealer.

Please let me know your thoughts on both issues. Thanks.
    Not yet (not until the dealers care enough to return my emails).
    Yes.
    Unusually bumpy? That's subjective, but my reaction was that the "average" person would not like it.
    Probably not.
    Probably correct.
    If it makes you feel better, drive another ES to compare. But if you "hate" the ride, you hate the ride. But I guess you prefer that there's actually something wrong. That way, there's hope.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I bought the Pro LX 2.0L in April and I know what you mean about a bumpy ride. The Pro LX has suspension similar to the ES since it has the 2.0L engine.

After I got about 400 miles on it the suspension seemed to soften up a bit, the struts softened up. Over rough pavement you will feel the bumps. On smooth pavement it rides fine. And on expressways and Interstates when you hit patches you don't notice them as much as when going at slower speeds in town. You are over them and gone.

Part is the suspension, part is the short wheelbase, and the stiffer struts. You get use to it. You also learn the streets that have bad pavement and drive to miss most of them. Some streets I travel have a lot of manhole covers,I take the passing lane to avoid them and noticed that other drivers in cars with softer suspension also do that. Everybody hangs left after a certain intersection.

hkchan: I got the heater fixed this morning. The technician who installed the cassette player left a cable disconnected. :D

vocus: I, too, have that problem with the cruise control stalk...hitting it when I turn the wheel. Put in a request for a “standard” CC on their next Protegé in a letter that accompanied the return of the Mazda survey.

Mazda uses some old technology and its parts to save money. The cruise control stalk idea is old, on the first cars that got cc. So is the D4 cutoff button, Ford’s have had that for years on cars, vans and trucks with AT.

hkcham: “If you think there’s something wrong, then there’s hope.” Good line! LOL

And if the steering wheel jumps up and down, there IS hope, the wheels are out of balance. Have them checked.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I can relate to the slightly stiffer ride. I used to have a 1999 DX model (same underpinnings as the LX 1.6) and traded it for a 2001 ES. I do notice the ride is a little firmer over rough roads, but don't mind because I gained alot in handling prowess. If you check the article on Edmund's about the ES model, you will notice it has stiffer stabilizer bars than the rest of the models because it's the sporty model. So, yes, the firmer ride is an ES-only trait. But take an off ramp rated at 25 mph at 50 once, and you will not mind the stiff ride anymore. :)
    Thank you for responding. Do you feel the bumps when you drive?; I will call it a hard ride. The ride is not that comfortable, but the car handles great. Does that make sense?

Thanks again. It is good to get a prospective from another ES driver. What color do you have? I have the seabreeze green.
    I agree that the O/D button is old (83 Toyota Camry?), but what's the newer, higher-tech, more-expensive alternative?
    Thank you for responding. Do you feel the bumps when you drive?; I will call it a hard ride. The ride is not that comfortable, but the car handles great. Does that make sense?

Thanks again. It is good to get a prospective from another ES driver. What color do you have? I have the seabreeze green.