Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We'll be testing your knowledge with some Mazda-related trivia questions this week, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    I always thought the 1.8 liter engine, coupled with the lower gross weight of the 1999 - 2000 Protege ES prolly had the best low speed torque, (ZOOM ZOOM Factor) at that time! They ES didn't cost a lot (got both mine loaded for $15,250ish)and talk about shoulder, hip and head room in a small sedan.....butter!!!

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    You say you needed butter to get into the car?

Meade
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Anyone else know if there are any benefits to using a K&N Air Filter over the stock one? The thiev...I mean employees at Mazda tried to put a $30 air filter in my Pro last week when I got an oil change. After I refused the air filter, suddenly my 15 minute oil change took over an hour as they were "waiting for a part."

anyway, any word on the K&N filter for the Pro?

Also, kinda off the mark but are there any reliable, warrantied turbos or superchargers for the Pro? My engine's lack of punch is driving me nuts suddenly.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Thanks for the info.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Chikoo: I had a 1951 Morris Minor when I was in the USAF in Europe, long time ago. I don't recall replacing bulbs. What English cars in the 50's required was complete engine rebuild at 50,000 miles. I am glad they "don't make them like they use to." The engine was 51hp. Tires didn't last long either, but they were cheap -- like $25 to $35 each. I use to buy retreads for $20 plus the tubes.

fowler3
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    blueguydotcom,

Main advantage is the reusability/economy of the filter. I have one since my 2000 ES was new and the power claims and gains are minimal. If you are doing it for the HP, get a AEM short ram for ~ 189.00, you'll pick up about 5 hp, the K&N filter alone is roughly 1-2 HP.

Regards,

Pete
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Chikoo, please check your email - thanks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    It seems I missed some good posts since we're missing a few :)

BTW, Hi Pat! :)

Dinu
    Where is everybody?

Hi Pat_HOST!

fowler3
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi to you also. As to where everyone is, I found you two over in Mazda3 talking about the Protege as a matter of fact. :D
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Pat's been spying on us lately :)

Dinu
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    Yep, they come out with a new model and nobody cares anymore.
    It's going to be 73F here today. Good time to zoom.

fowler3
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Went out for lunch today and took and additional 10 minutes to Zoom. Haven't done that lately but it was sunny and nice so I took the long way around.

I can't wait for the roads to get cleared of all the winter gravel. As it is now, all my back roads are a bit dangerous.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    when I bought my Protege they simply added the $500 grad rebate along with the $1000 cash back they were running back then and subtracted from the final sales price.

I got all the discounts in before I even drove it off the lot!
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    when I bought my Protege, the $500 grad discount came off the final sales price. I always thought that rebates and discounts came off of the price right away, at least that's how it's been for me with the Protege and Mazda6. I've never heard of anyone getting a check in the mail for rebates or discounts on vehicles.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Signed up for Rev It Up at Arlington on Sunday.
    at the time of the deal, you won't get it. Mail-in rebates are for cameras and computer stuff and on those they hope buyers will forget to send them in.

fowler3
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    it's time to go.

I just couldn't get over the ragtop bug that's been pestering me since I gave up my Sunfire for the P5.

Last night the wife and I drove past the Chrysler dealership and stopped in to see the PT ragtop. We had liked the PT back when we bought the Protege and now that it doesn't have a roof it has become that much more appealing.

So we drove it, pulled it in the garage to put the top down, and started dealing. Much to my surprise they were easy to deal with and we ended up signing the papers.

We'll be picking up our Midnight Blue Pearl GT ragtop Saturday morning. I'll miss the P5 but only until that first sunny day when I'm cruising topless!

And before you ask, yes I was upside down in the Progege, but some decisions aren't based purely on money.