Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    that would be fine too. :-)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I'd venture up to Santa Monica for that...I'm sore Jerry would as well. Where has Hboyd been?

:)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Hey, anyone in the Midwest want to do a PP? We could have it in Chicago or something since Minneapolis seems a little out of the way for most midwesterners. Is there anyone in here from the upper midwest besides me?
  • krotinekrotine Posts: 93
    ok you talked me into going to mapp2 this year. anytime after the month of august and before it snows is good. just email me the final details at jason_krotine@limbachinc.com

krotine
  • Being from the arctic north...Seattle :) - would be difficult for me to attend.....however, my wife and I may drive to L.A. the week after Labor Day for vacation - if anything is planned then I may be able to join in...keep us posted
    Thanks, Greg
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I would come to a MWPP ( I think I called it a CAPP Chicago Area Protege Picnic) and would love to host or help organize! We could shoot for mid-September...whattayousay?

Regards and awaiting your response,

Pete

P.S. I am getting my new Illinois License plates in about 3-4 weeks...personalized of course...what did I get? What else!

PROTEG3

I needed to put a "3" at the end, but since I'm on my 3rd Pro and it kinda looks like a backwards "E" I thought it was clever. What do you all think? If you see me driving around once I've got it...beep your horn and say Hi!!!
  • laurakatlaurakat Posts: 69
    I'd definitely be interested in a MWPP or CAPP! I'm not a Protege owner yet, however I may be one soon! I'm seriously considering replacing my aging Intrepid with a smaller car. My choices have boiled down to the Protege and Civic (LX version for both). I absolutely love the shifter on the Civic (I'm would be buying a 5spd. No slush box for me. Our Town & Country "Family Truckster" has a slush box already). However, I like the looks of Protege and the level of equipment for the money (free alloys/moonroof, standard CD player). Plus, the 0% financing certainly makes it attractive. I'll be making a decision probably by mid August.

One thing I must say that is helping my decision is this forum. While I havn't posted much because I'm not yet an owner of one of these fine cars, I've been keeping up with many topics on the forum, including the Protege, Civic, Sentra, Elantra, and various small sedan comparison topics. While the Civic is a fine car and I'm sure I'd be happy to own one (I used to own a '90 Civic that I loved for all of the 130k trouble free miles I put on), there is a lot of enthusiasm by Protege owners all over this forum. While no car is perfect, the Protege seems to invoke a passion among many of it's owners. To me, that's a big selling point!

I'll keep you posted on my car-buying decision as it progresses.

Mike.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Menu suggestions:

Baked potato wraped in foil cooked over charcoal.
    same for corn on the cob.

Bush Vegitarian baked beans, easy to heat, buy in medium-size cans, easy to transport. Not cooked with pork. No refrigeration needed.

Hamburgers, but requires ice chest to preserve until cooked. Same for hotdogs. Hotdogs easier to fix over charcoal, with mustard and chopped onion. Put chopped onion in jars for transport and in the ice chest later.

Hamburger: Ground round is leaner. Mayo, dogs and beef need to be on ice.

Maybe better idea: When you are near the MAPP2 site stop at the nearest KFC and buy a bucket of fried chicken, biscuits and cole slaw.

Ditto for wine and/or beer, cola etc. Fill up ice chest.

Pickles, chips etc. Dips require ice chest.

Cake (bring knife to cut with), chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies. Bake before leaving home and DON'T eat'um on the way!

Carry only cooking pans (for beans) and ice chests from home.

Buy paper plates and plastic forks etc. near picnic site. Bring plastic trash bags for cleaning up picnic area before leaving.

Keep in mind that buying in Virginia, if held in that state, the sales tax is only 4.5%. ;)

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Ok, Fowler you are now the MAPP(Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic) head chef, hehe! The real question Jim, where do you live and are you coming? :-)

Respectfully,
    Larry
    How about you my friend, MAPP#2 will be better if you are there!

-Larry
    I'm really impressed with Karen our host. She has already listed Jim Fowler has our community leader at the top of the "Mazda Protege Owners Topic" page. Congrats Jim and a very sincere thank you for accepting the position. Now can you get us all free Edmunds.com key chains and hats? Hehe, just kidding!

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I'm gone for 16 hours (no computer at home, everyone!) and what a response! Even detailed menu items! OK, I guess I'll start making a list of who's coming from where, so I can start coming up with location ideas. Is that OK with everyone?

I had an idea that relates to the food Larry brought last time. Since he's from Lancaster, PA (Pennsylvania Dutch Country) he brought Shoo-Fly Pie (I believe that's the colloquial spelling) and Amish Cole Slaw. That was cool. My idea for this year is, since we're all coming from different areas with their own identities, let's all bring something our regions are known for -- in addition to the standard burger and dogs and chips that we can all chip in for & bring. For instance, I could bring some Virginia Ham Biscuits. (Hey -- I'd bring Chesapeake Bay Oysters, but I don't know if I love y'all that much!!!)

Sorry. Had to get a "y'all" in there somewhere. For regional flavor, you understand. Are you "understandably" amused, Larry? :)

This is starting to sound fun. And maybe we can get more than five cars (three of them Emerald Mica, lol!!!) and nine people this year!

I got so excited at the prospects of this new MAPP yesterday that I didn't even turn on the stereo for my 19-mile ride home from work. I had the windows down, the a/c off and the Protege zoom-zoomin'! But it then occurred to me that many of you may not be able to decide if you can come until we nail down a date. So let me be the first to throw out a possibility:

Saturday, October 6, 2001

Reasons:
    That's only nine weeks from now, and we do need a little time to prepare.
    Still mild weather.
    If held in northern Virginia again, and in or near the mountains, foliage will be nice.
    Kids are back in school -- not as much activity in parks (i.e. camping, picnicking etc.)
    Va. state parks keep facilities operating until end of October.

Any comments?

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Thanks for the invitation but with a full time job + 3 course/semester master's degree going on, it's getting difficult to even get time for my family on weekends...lotsa homework.

BTW, I needed to get my 30,000 mile service done.
    The dealer quoted the follwing:

1. Overall inspection & lubrication of suspension,etc + engine oil/filter + change of Spark plugs - $299.95

2. tranny fluid change + filter clean - $129.95

Dos this sound correct?
    Don't they have to replace the tranny filter? or cleaning is good?
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    That sounds great to me. I will be coming from Bethesda, MD.

I will try to think of something "local" to bring, other than crabs, which are in the same league as oysters.

I'm glad Fowler's got the important details worked out.....like the menu. Now I know why we chose him as our group leader. :-) Although, I didn't see any Carolina BBQ on that menu.

Steve
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Weak excuse! I bet half of us are in school as well.

For $299, they probably want to do more than the owner's manual suggests. Ask for details.

My guess is that that trans service includes a power flush of the trans and cooler.

:)
    OK, here's a preliminary list, and we already look better than last year. (Don't worry -- being on this list doesn't mean you're committed to being there -- I'm just trying to get an early idea of where people will be coming from.)

Meade (+2), from Richmond, VA (mdaffron)

Larry (+2), from Lancaster, PA (protegextwo)

Paul, from Baltimore, MD (vocus)

James (Jim?) (fowler3)

Jason, from Pittsburgh, PA, (krotine)

Chow-chi, from Cincinnati, OH (mazdafun)

Cindy, from Atlanta, GA (black01coupev6)

I need e-mail addresses from fowler3, vocus, mazdafun and black01coupev6. (Sorry Paul, I have a new computer and I've lost your address!)

fowler3, I need your city & state. I think I remember you saying you're in NC, but the brain's getting old.

All: Please try to let me know how the number of people in your party.

You guys can post the needed info here, or e-mail me directly at: mdaffron@the-rma.org

Keep those comments and confirmations coming! Cindy, are you really interested in driving all the way from Atlanta? Now THAT'S being in love with your car! (I have relatives in Atlanta and I don't relish that trip unless it's at 32,000 feet with a bloody mary in my hand!)

One more thing: If you'd like to see how much fun we had last year, check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/mapp.htm

Because of Edmunds, you'll have to copy the link and paste it into your browser's address window. Simply clicking on it here won't work.

Meade

I was typing that when you posted. So I've added Steve from Bethesda, MD (sfrat) to the list. Thanks!

Meade
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    I was almost in tears when I didn't see my name on the first list. :-) I did neglect to give you my email address.

SteveFratt@aol.com
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    chowchi@aol.com

Thanks Meade!

And thanks to fowler3 for the menu.

Not that you have to schedule around it (although I do hope I can go to MAPP2), but I'm going river-rafting the weekend of 09/22-23.
    Thanks for the e-mail addresses.

And thanks for the advisement on your river-rafting trip ... now we have an even better reason for October 6.

Meade
  • I doubt I'll be able to come to the MAPP this time around, unless it's located more in the southern area of the US, since I live in Florida. To whoever is taking pictures, just email them to me and I'll be glad to put them up on my Prototech website. That'll give me one more excuse to update it, since I haven't since April!

I had a friend teach me how to change my oil for the first time, since I'm not a big gearhead. It was incredibly EASY! The hardest part is crawling under the car and draining the oil, but other than that, it's a snap. Considering the fact that the dealer here charges $40 bucks for a sythetic oil change, I think I'd rather do it myself for about $21! ($18 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 10W30 Sythetic, $3.20 for an oil filter, forgot what brand)
    I will go along with whatever is decided. However, the place we had the first annual MAPP, was truly "GODS COUNTRY"! BTW, Oct. 6 works for me. The pavilion was nice, the park rangers were nice, price was right. BTW, how about some Penna. Dutch Birch Beer and my famous fresh fruit Sangria.

-Larry
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    a few days ago went to CostCo/Price Club (whatever they call themselves nowadays), and saw them selling 6 quart-pack of Mobil 1 for only $21. Was going to buy it, then realized 1) don't know how to change oil 2) just changed oil 1500 miles ago. So picked up a Cali. Water Blade instead...

and Meade, 10/6 sounds good to me, so count me in for MAPP as well.
    I'm right in N. Va btw, Falls Church to be exact...
    Hope to be able to chat tonight!

-Larry
    Thanks for the Prototech site. As you can see in my recent posts, I'm making good use of it! In fact I just went to it to show a co-worker my totaled '92 LX.

Larry ... Ahhh, Birch Beer! I'm a big fan of the Sioux City variety, and I just remembered the big 2-liter bottle you brought last time! And the sangria ... tasty! Maybe I'll bring some of my favorite beer of all time ... Legend Lager, brewed right here at a Richmond microbrewery. Just gotta watch out for those rangers ...

And don't forget the cigars!

Paul (vocus) has conversed with me via e-mail today and it looks like October 6 and the same location are good for him. Larry, looks like you're in consensus. And I called my wife (after making these plans, like a typical man) and she said the 6th looks good to her and Sean too. So at least the original ... er ... "brat pack" will be heading for the hills again!

Now we've just got to drum up interest from everybody else. I haven't gotten over to the Pro5 topic yet, and I've got a meeting to go to for the rest of the day. Maybe one of you guys can drop over there and tell 'em to come check out the news here?

This is getting exciting again! Keep on zoomin' and I'll be back in tomorrow morning with an update on MAPP II ... The Sequel.

Meade

P.S. Looks like Paul's buddy can't make it this year, so no lasagna!!! We'll have to make do, somehow, without it. Tell ya what, I cook a mean pop-tart! Just kidding -- I do pretty well actually! But it looks like Jim's already got us in good hands!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I am going to go over to the Prototech website sometime today, and try to get some interest drummed up.

Also, I might just get a good friend of mine to make me something interesting to bring to the picnic, since she is a pretty good cook and I am not. We shall see.
    Not sure about attending the MAPP this year. I have eye problems that prevent me from driving at night. Yeah, I know the picnic isn't at night, but I do have to get back home. ;)

My e-mail is: jfmartin@nr.infi.net

I live in NC, although from VA, near Greensboro.

How about Smithfield ham biscuits? Sounds great!!

I'll look into NC BBQ.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You could always drive up, then stay at a hotel in the area until the morning. Something to think about..
    I just remembered, I have an annual business meeting with a client in Virginia every October. Maybe I could get them to meet close to the date of the MAPP picnic. ;) I'll see what they say.

In the meantime, want to see what a Protegé5 would look like with another manufacturer's front end on it. Check out this company's new model for 2002, only $33,150!

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/is_sportcross.html

and in MP3 laser blue....

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/is_sportcross_2.html

Butt-ugly steering wheel, but hey, they use the same kind of cruise control stalk the Protegé has. And buyers think they are getting Lexus quality?

fowler3

• speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I say we plan a date! I suggest Busse Woods Forest Preserve as it's easy to get to and has a nice setting. Jstandefer used to live out here in Chicago I believe...wonder what ever happened to him...

Early to mid-September is best for me. You guys?

Regards,

Pete