Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Andy, floor mats tend to get bundled with other package features in the Mazda Protege. However, I am sure there are a many models delivered to the dealers without them, in that case they cost roughly $80 dollars. On a thin deal, $200 to $350 above dealer cost, you will be hard pressed to get the dealer to throw them in for free. Perhaps, try for dealer cost. But, it can't hurt to ask for them at no charge? It's kind of the sign of the times that auto manufactures don't include floor mats as standard equipment! Goodluck, I hope you pull the trigger on a Mazda Protege purchase.

Martin, you seem very happy with your purchase, lol! Well, good for you, dude. I wish you many happy zoom zoom miles! BTW, you really got your PRO-ES loaded! Keep us updated on your ownership experiences.

Dman, I wonder if you negotiated such a great deal, that you got your original sales person fired, hehe!!! Nonetheless, fill out your CS survey as you see fit, my friend. I have had very competent, knowledgeable service from the guys who sold me my last three cars at Lancaster Toyota Mazda. The deals were "mini-deals" for the sales people and I felt their help was worth more than the $50-$75 dollar commission they received from the Mazda Dealer. Rating the CS survey a %100 across the boards gave them an opportunity to get an extra incentive bonus at the end of the month. They MUST keep their CS surveys above a certain level to qualify. BTW, ALL manufactures do this to some degree or another. In all honesty, I really didn't care for the sales manager or the finance manager as people, however I didn't let that effect my rating the CS survey. Just my 2 cents, my sales guy Erin Mulroy worked his but off for me and he deserved the %100 CS survey score.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    Thanks Larry. :)) My 1995 ES is sitting next to our 2001 ES in the garage.... and I swear that I see puddles of "water" under each tire!!! HEHEHEHE She knows that her departure from our family is imminent!! My wife thinks I'm crazy. Anybody want to give a 1995 ES a good home?

Anyway, 2001 ES is flawless... no factory defects or dealer prep mistakes anywhere... even all tire pressures (32psi) measure as certified on the door label! No paint flaws anywhere (I had a small one in my '95 ES under the trunk sheetmetal -- obsured, of course). You can't use the spare tire compartment to store anything -- not even safety flares!! (16" spare donut is too big!!) hehehehehehe!!! They still use particle-board as the spare tire compartment cover...yukkk. However, they did upgrade the trunk compartment lining with soft, fuzzy material instead of hard plastic....thank you Mazda!! And, we have two (2) trip meters (I've never seen this feature on other small cars)!!

By the way, the New 2001 Honda Civic EX does NOT have the following features compared to a similar '01 Protege ES: ashtray (or tiny trash recepticle), cig. lighter (or emergency fire starter), spoiler with LED stop lamps, 16" alloy wheels w/Dunlop tires (Honda has 15" Firestones), 4-wheel disc brakes, covered cup holders, noise-insulating material under hood, floormats, foglights, more HP/torque, longer warranty, should I continue?.... just my 2 cents.... sorry :)

MARTIN
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    yeah, the 2001 protege ES had pretty good make overs. I paid for the same amount for a 99 es but in june of 99, and now.. you guys are getting all these extra things for free.
    So far, no drivetrain problems what so ever. I just arrived at the big 30k yesterday. In a year a half I put down about 30k miles, and I didn't see any problems at all.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    #1..

I also noticed that too before we got our 00 ES. They were the hardest of the cars I drove. The bottom doesn't seem "butt" sculpted, but again, no complaints.. and since I drive!! heh heh heh.. But it definitely has the most leg room of the other cars..
  • ee73ee73 Posts: 4
    Wish it could be sooner, but I am waiting for my dealer to transfer my
    2001 ES in from another dealer. I am getting emerald mica, 5 speed,
    with ES premium pkg for $16001 ($200 over invoice minus $500 rebate).
    I'm taking $500 rebate plus 2.9% for 36 months instead of full $750
    rebate. I also test drove the Civic, Corolla, and Sentra, and I think the Protege definitely is the nicest of the bunch, especially considering the price. The Sentra would have been my second choice.
    The Protege will be sitting in the garage next to my 2000 MPV. I am having to sell my '91 MX-6 to make room for it. I have been very happy with my current two Mazdas, and look forward to the same from the Protege.
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I was also shocked by the news of Dale Earnhardt's death. It's a real loss to all race fans to lose one of the very best.

Godspeed Dale. You will be missed.

Regards,

Pete
    Very positive and further validation of the Protege's strengths.

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Jedlicka/Mazda/Protege/2001.asp

Regards,

Pete

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    ...(Pat) told me that this group was interested in having a folder in the Edmunds.com Owner's Club. Please check out Mazda Protege Owners! Let me know in Meet the Members what you think and how I can help your club grow.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I pay maybe $35 to get a durablend (half Synth- half natural Oil) change. It takes 3 minutes and I get my fluids toppped off and tire pressure checked. Since I have little free time I don't mind paying that much. I here the DuraBlend is a great motoroil. I've tried their Synthetic once ($50 a change) but didn't notice a difference.

I bought those clear corners from procarpart.com. Installed them and they look great. My only gripe is that it looks like it may be difficult to the turn signals during the bright day. Aneyone else that have them notice? I'm thinking that replacing the orange bulbs with higher intensity ones would help- if I can find some.
    Any ideas?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    are those clear corners easy to install (e.g. does it come with instructions?)
    Very easy to install. One screw, one bulb change and you're done! Less than a 5 min job.

Regards,

Pete
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I went to a Mazda dealer tonight and brought up the S-Plan. The salesman had no clue, but the sales manager did. Now for the important stuff before my impending '01 ES purchase...

With the S-Plan, how long is it effective by joining EAA? Anyone know? How does the pricing work again? Sorry for asking repetitive questions, but just want to be sure what I am doing with the S-Plan thing.

Thanks and ZOOM ZOOM! :)
  • I bought my 2001 ES under the S-Plan, and it was as nearly as painless an experience as any new car purchase can be. Paid about $200 under invoice before the $750 rebate!
    If you join EAA online, you can call them the next day and they will give you your membership number, which you then use to access the S-Plan signup from a link on the EAA website. Takes about 2 minutes time and you are on your (zoom zoom) way. S-Plan allows you to buy 2 Ford-family vehicles a year (i.e Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar ,etc).
    Don't let dealers pretend to be unfamiliar with plan. And don't let them pretend that the rebate on 2001 models doesn't exist. It does and you are entitled to it!
    so you going for a 01 or 00?
  • They were supposed to be easy to install, but the wiring harnests were different sizes, so I had to use the factory ones and the orange bulbs that came with the lenses, didn't fit in the factory sockets, nor did the factory sockets fit well in the lenses.
    So I bought new 1157 orange bulbs, swapped sockets & harnests & replaced the water seals from the factory sockets with the seals from the new sockets and they work just fine. They don't fit as well as the factory corners, but they sure do look unique.
    I am going for a 2001 2.0 ES model in either green or silver with the Premium Pkg. I have to drive the car first though, to see if the seats are comfortable. I already drove a 2000 ES model last night in dark green (just like yours), and it was nice. The seat was a LOT more comfortable than in the 1999 DX I currently own. But I have to try out the 2001 yet. If it's not as comfortable as the 2000 is, then I will stick with it.
  • At least in the Cleveland area. I'm looking for an ES with Premium package and auto in millenium red, and the dealer can't locate one anywhere. Two weeks now and he still can't tell me how long it will be. I asked about a green one instead, and he couldn't find one of those either. I checked with three dealers all together, and none of them had more than one 2001, and only one ES (in white). The dealer with the ES said he had two offers to buy it but won't sell it, since it's his only one! Is it like this anywhere else?
    Yes, the dealer I went to yesterday here in the Baltimore, Md. area told me he had to trade a Protege DX and an MPV for one 2001 Protege ES with Premium Pkg.

I could potentially save alot of money by choosing the 2000 model over the 2001. But like I said, the deciding factor is going to be seat comfort. I have to drive the 2001 ES model to check out the seat comfort, then will decide which model year I want. I hope it's the 2001, because it looks plain HOT!!! :)

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!
    anyone seen it? i saw it as a PDF from mazda.. the lacation for the pics is in Miami's South Beach.. beautiful car for the beautiful people.
  • I will be getting my Silver beauty today! 2001 Mazda Protege ES. I test drove it Saturday and loved it! They only had the light green color so I am waiting on them to bring in a silver one from another dealer. I paid $15,992 + TTL with the 0.0 APR. Monthly payments are only $305 with a $2000 Down Payment and $400 discount for being a college graduate. I won't sign the contract until this afternoon. Does anyone have an opinion about getting an extended warranty? The current warranty is good considering most dealers give only 36,000 miles instead of 50,000. I was curious if I can get the VIN number etched on my windows for free or take it somewhere and get it done relatively cheap? Also, can I claim the keyless entry to be an alarm on my insurance or not? The best quote for insurance in my area was Allstate for $616 / 6 Mths. Sorry about all the questions but this is my first car outside of "loaners" from my parents. I enjoy reading the posts here and can't wait to break in the puppy. :)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    It's the color you are trying to find. There are no ES Proteges in the color you want with the premium pkg in your area. Either get ready to drive, or pick anther color. Looks like the closest one is in Rochester. Ready for that weekend trip?

:)
  • Does anyone know if you can get a cargo net for the trunk in the '01 ES? I saw it as an option for the ES on one of the websites. Not sure which one. Thanx
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda part number is 0000-88-5499-0A and it should be about $37 at your dealer.

:)
    Mazda is doing this whole "Mazda Magazine" thing for its 2001 brochures. All of them are like that, from the Tribute to the Miata. I have seen the 2001 Protege brochure, and it has nice pics of the interior and exterior of the ES. In fact, the ES is the only one depicted in there, except for a 1.6 LX on the "accessories" page with a nose mask. Guess Mazda is putting its "eyes" on the ES 2.0.
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Just thought I'd mention that Heritage Mazda on Reisterstown Rd. in Owings Mills has a Silver ES 2.0 with Prem. Package, automatic. Unsure whether they still have it. Congressional Mazda in Rockville also had a couple 01 ES 5spds, one black, one dark green. I think both had the prem package. Worth a call

340 miles....can't wait till its broken in.
    Here's my house that I'm selling to move to Chicago. Just thought you'd all like to see where "Speedy" lives (for a few more days!)

http://www.forsalebyownerhomesaz.com/4010.shtml

Let me know what you think!

Regards,

Pete
    Thanks for the tip. I have to go to Schafer & Strominger Mazda on Joppa Road in Towson to get my second trade, the Bonneville, evaluated tonight. I am going to play that dealer along with Russel Mazda (where I got my 1999 DX and have a strong contact with a salesman, but they have no 2001s because I went there yesterday). I might just check out Heritage Mazda too.

Are the rebates of $750 still effective? And how about the 0% financing? Also, does your credit have to be something like "Tier A" to get it? Just curious...

Also, signed up for the EAA organization online to get my S-Plan pricing last night too. Still will save me at least $200 off the price of the car, a small price to pay for only $40.
    Is that the house you are leaving in Arizona? It's beautiful. You must be crazy! :) Just kidding. I have never been to AZ, but always heard it's so damn hot all the time. Going from warmish summers to cold winters in Chicago is going to be a bit of a change for you I bet. Just be warned that your Protege is going to collect its share of road salt now, so get used to seeing it dirty alot of the time through the winter. :)
    The weather is actually beautiful for 8-9 months out of the year, with the summers being brutally hot.

I plan on looking at new homes with two car garages ONLY when we move. The good news is that my brother-in-law works for the city and has access to a heated garage for washing my car. I don't plan on letting it suffer too much!!!

Regards,

Pete