Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    "This time I am keeping this car till it dies.." I'll believe it when I see it.
    How much did you save on insurance? Nissan truck vs Civic EX.
  • HKchan: I saved about $200 over months, but lost all that money...it was VERY VERY VERY stupid of me. I just wanted a truck for some reason. And yes I did get around 8.5%....My payments are $429 a month VS $375 for my truck...It is worth it....I could not see paying another year on a truck that I would not be keeping. I need to stop wasting money on cars...I am very happy with the protege and will not switch for another 5 - 6 years. Just think of all the cash I have wasted on cars...It is crazy!!!
    Just to rub it in, the $200 you saved on insurance over months probably was not enough to cover the extra fuel you bought to feed the truck.
    BTW, even without the 0% financing, there's still a $750 rebate. So you paid $17,449 (includingTTL but before the rebate) for a car whose invoice is $15,092 and whose MSRP is $16,095. How much was the TTL?

Providing that the S Plan is available, you would've paid $14,873 + TTL - $750.
  • You sure know how to spoil a good thing...My truck was not bad on gas...I got 22 mpg. It had a 4cyl 145hp engine. After dealing with 4 dealers, My credit union was the only one that could finance 4k worth of negative equity...the good part of all this is that I have had a chance to own a few cars and have learned a lot. I just need to stick with this protege.
  • Just my 2 cents. I bought a Protege LX 2.0 with the comfort package + auto tr. + Keyless Entry for invoice price @ 15,172 plus taxes etc. I got some great tips from this and the other discussion groups abt the Protege. Thanks eveybody! I'm the proud owner of a zoom zoom that really zooms!
  • Earlier post about why Corolla/Civic fuel economy much better than Protege. My only guess is transmission gearing. Automatic LX at 60 mph is rpming about 2600. 99 Corolla same is 2000 rpm or so. Don't know about the Civic.
    Hey, yours is the exact same car as unmarkedcar's plus keyless entry. It's a great deal but only if the price was before the rebate or you took the low-rate financing.

unmarkedcar, there lies your "potential problem". You buy a new car every six months to a year to make yourself feel good. It's a good thing as long as you thought the deal was good. BTW, don't just accept what the dealer tells you as facts without verifying them.

You said you save $200 on insurance over months. I assume that's the whole six months of your ownership of the Frontier. The EPA estimates on the Frontier 4-cyl with auto. is 20/24. It's 15/19 for the 6-cyl. It's 28/35 for the Civic. Assume yours was the 4-cyl. It would be 22 mpg vs at least 30 mpg for the Civic. You drove the Frontier 9,000 miles in 6 months. That's 410 gallons. The Civic would've used only 300 gallons. That's a saving of 110 gallons or $165 assuming $1.50 a gallon. So I was wrong. You saved more on insurance than wasted in gasoline. That's assuming the Frontier was a 4-cyl.
    I doubt very seriously the Corolla's turning at 2,000 rpm (too low) at 60 mph even with an automatic. I need to check on that.
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    vocus: No problem, happy to help. That's too bad that you find the seats uncomfortable, I wonder if there is a difference between the seats in the LX and the ES. I didn't even look at the LX myself, because I read so many good things about the ES. I'm 5'4", and find the seats to be very comfortable, with lots of adjustment.

Also, question for all. Has anyone ever considered setting up a Protoge owners distribution list? I know there is one for the Miata, and for other cars as well. I'm finding that posting and reading messages is a bit cumbersome, but hopefully I'll get better at it. The big drawback would be losing this forum to convince possible protoge buyers.
  • FYI:
    I read today that the FOCUS will be redesigned in 2004, and the Protoge will share the body.
    COMMENTS?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    SF: I am 6'3, so there's a bit of a difference. My best friend is about the same height as me, and the seats poke his back too. But my roommate is 5'11 and the seats are very comfortable to him. I don't get it. Of course, I have a bad back too, and none of the other people mentioned do.

Dave: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Focus merging with Protege? One of two things could happen with this venture. Either the Protege will go down in quality (hope not) or the Focus will go up (don't care). We shall see though.
  • I own a 2000 Focus ZX3. I'm going to trade very soon. Some history: I owned a 323 in the late 80's - maybe the best new car I've ever owned. At the time, I compared Acura, Honda and Toyota comparable models and the 323 had all of 'em on features/value. Mazda just made it better when they introduced the Protege. I introduced my future wife to the Protege in 93 when she was shopping...the 93 LX has 160K plus on it and has survived two teenage drivers ( just barely). Yes, you can get 200K. Back to NOW... The ZX3 is going to be a great car in the future-maybe I just got a near lemon. Less than 9K on the car and it has had to have the steering rack replaced and a NEW dashpod ( the entire instrument cluster) plus all the recalls ( I've lost count). We almost bought a Mazda 626 last year(wife) - ended up with an Altima - good car.
    My question to you folks... (I know some of you live in the sloppy Northeast weather, just as I live in the great sloppy freeze/thaw of the upper Midwest)...I can a 01 Focus with traction control, stability control and ABS for roughly $15.6K , why should I go out and get a 01 Protege? ( Which I just may do)
  • curt3curt3 Posts: 101
    Well, I am a happy owner of a 2000 Mazda Protege LX with A/C and 5-speed. I must say, however, that I have gone through a few cars in the last few years. I have actually kept the Protege for 15 months now and I have no plans for dumping it. I have well over 30,000 miles on the odometer but I just like it too much to trade it.

Here goes my list of (impulse) purchases:

1991 Nissan Truck King Cab--bought used in 1993

1993 Ford Festiva--bought new in early '94 (great car, by the way).

1980 Toyota Corona--bought way used in 1994 (neat looking but a real money pit)

1995 Ford Aspire--bought new in 1995 (good car!)

1979 Buick Century Wagon aka "The Brute"--given to me by my brother, passed on to charity--great vehicle but I already had two cars.

1996 Nissan Truck King Cab--bought new in 1996 (become very troublesome, emissions problems galore, baffled mechanics, bought back by dealership--perhaps the only bad Nissan made in the 90's, I still miss the looks of it)

1998 Nissan Frontier--bought new in 1998, I love this truck and my wife still has it, only 4,700 dollars left on the payments.

1999 Kia Sephia--what was I thinking? traded in at a moderate loss on my current vehicle, you guessed it---

2000 Mazda Protege LX--great car, bought new in November of 1999.

Like you, unmarkedcar, I have blown a lot of money and have lost a lot more on trades. I am only 30 years old and have owned more cars than all of my brother combined. I think I have come to my senses now, even though I get the crazy itch to buy my wife a Miata. Good luck fellow Mazda owners, I hope that I post good news about hitting 100,000 miles in the next two years.
  • I own a 92 Protege that I bought new in Jan. 93. It now has just over 125K on it, and has been a good car. I drive about 50 miles daily, get just around 30mpg (DX, auto). The main problem that I've had is numerous exhaust and brake repairs, more than my fair share. I've also replaced the front drive shafts, and just replaced the rear struts ($300!). I've sworn that this is the last coin I'm putting into it, and was set on buying a new civic. But the more research I do, the better the Protege sounds, with depreciation being the major drawback. The car has been a good one, with a great engine and tranny - no problems at all! I'm considering the civic LX or the Protege LX with the smaller engine, and probably the 5 speed. I'm sure I'll keep the car 3 years and maybe more, depending on how large my family grows. Both cars look good, and I'm looking to decide this next week. I guess I'm looking for some testimonial persuasion. Any help?
  • Are you going to keep the car as long as the '92 protege? If so, then the depreciation factor is nill to none if you have normal miles (100+). Then, it's probably fun vs. gas mileage. To me the Protege is just too much fun (while being a very reliable car) for the civic's better fuel economy and good reliability to overcome. They are both great cars, but (I guess what do you expect as this is a protege board) I'm a much greater fan of the Mazda.
  • My '00 ES (AT) has around 14,000 miles on it. Within the past 2 months my city driving average was 16-18 mpg range and I was wandering whether there was problem with the car .. however this past weekend I took it on a 850 miles trip and the average mpg turned out to be 27.5 (I was driving at 65-75 mph range).
    Couple of days ago my wife hit an iron bar in a parking lot while backing up. The left side of the rear bumper was badly scratched! I hate to drive the car with all these visible marks on!
    Since my deductible is $500 the insurance claim
    will not help.

Has anyone had a bumper painting job done on their Protege?? I am curious how much it would cost to have the bumper re-painted?!?

One other thing is: the door panel right under my left elbow started to wear out ! Seems like I have
    the habit of resting my elbow on the door .. but I have been driving various cars for the last 12 years and never had a problem like this ..
    I am thinking of asking my dealer to take a look at it .. and we'll see ??
    Besides these typical problems .. think my '00 ES
    is a great car that is fun to drive.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    ")...I can a 01 Focus with traction control, stability control and ABS for roughly $15.6K , why should I go out and get a 01 Protege?"

Go and test drive an '01 Focus. Then go test drive a Protege. When that is complete you will be a welcomed Protege owner.

:)
  • Hey guys, I have noticed that on start up, the engine will rev up and down. Has anyone seen this. My 2000 celica will do the same thing sometimes. Is this the way the car warms itself up?
  • abyezabyez Posts: 1
    I am looking forward to test the protege-5 wagon coming out this May. I dont want to go thru the endurance test of reading the past 260 messages :)
    So here goes my questions....

1) is the new 2.0L 130hp engine in any way related to FORD Focuses'? I know that it is from 626 but i am afraid of reliability problems like all Fords have.

2) I heard that Ford is gonna put Focus into the 2002 protege. is the new protege-5 wagon the initial transition? compare the protege-5 wagon with Focus wagon - I see some similarities in both their engine and exterior. I just dont wanna drive a focus-in-a-Protege.

3) for those current generation Protege owners! Please share all your complains about your car - please honestly share all the defects or short comings of Protege. honestly and without exagerations please :)

4) I did read the first 20 starting postings in this forum but was too tired to continue...Some owners complaint about tranny deffect...has this been fixed?

5) are the low-profile tires too noisy? I know i cant expect an econ-car to mute noises like a Lexus.

6) any rattles and squicks?? I know Honda manufactures cars with complimentary squickie and rattlie interior - free of charge :D

7) is it true that Ford is going to reduce the number of Mazda dealers from some hundreds to about half in the future? I worry this bacause i wanna have the convenience of near-by authorized staff to take care of my car. I admire Honda of it's network of dealers....overwhelmingly!!!

8) any other things that a prospective buyer should know about?

thanks in advance, i know these are a mouthfull please reply as much as u can. :]
  • I recently got a feedback survey though mail on my recent purchase of a 01 LX... I've heard that some dealers have bribed the buyer for a good mark. Is that true and if so how do I go about in getting my dealer to benefit me? (eg. free tune up, fog lights... etc)