Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    It'll help you get under your car w/o scuffing your back-side. Wear safety glasses too as dirt and oil will probably fall on you when you remove the filter.

I can just get to the oil filter from the top on my 1.6L engine. Got a pair of steel ramps for the next time so I can see if it's easier to do from underneath. At least it'll make it easier to shove my catch basin underneath the drain outlet.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I prefer not to work with a creeper(or dolly as mazdafun stated). I find that a large piece of cardboard works much better as it's disposable if soiled and gives you more clearance. Also, you can slide around easier, don't have to fuss with the crazy caster wheels and you won't roll away on an uneven surface.

:)
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    You wrote: "So, if we take into account that we paid $1,335 LESS for our Proteges, the Civic retains only about $565 in trade-in value or $765 average retail after 8 years. I don't think that's such a big difference in depreciation..."

Even that does not tell the whole story. For example: $1335 invested at 5% interest for 8 years becomes $2000. Thats what I did. I invested the differnce in a FDIC insured 5 year CD at 5.5%. One could also use the $1335 to pay of credit card debt at 9-22% and then its worth even more. $1335 used to make 1-2 house payments is worth even more over 20-30 years. So the $765 basically shrinks to nothing.

The moral: Good residual values are not a good reason to buy or not buy a car IF the car costs less (5-10%) to begin with AND you are careful with your money.
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Posts: 162
    Hey guys...its been a while since I wrote. I was thinking of tinting my windows. Has anyone done this. I took it to a place that wanted $130.00. They only garuntee it for 5 years. I can do it myself for about $40.00. I was going to get the supplies from AUTOZONE. They sell GILA window film. I was just going to tint upper part of the back window and not the whole rear window. I have heard that you can damage the defoster if you ever have to remove the tint. What do you guys think. I also think that I can take my time and do a better job. I think that some of these places like to rush job it. The guy told me it would take 90 minutes. How can you do a good job in 90 minutes.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    re:"..some of these places like to rush job it."
    I agree. Makes me bloody nervous. Initially I'll do a few oil changes, warranty required checks at dealer I got it from. I'm not sure how many folks, esp. the younger folks are aware of this but it always pays to put all car repairs, and servicing on a credit card. If you have any hassles w/ the work or parts it gives you legal recourse to with hold payment 'til the work issue is resolved. You pay cash, you have Jack! Didn't mean to wax geezerly good folks.. Dennis MI
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Cardboard's much cheaper too! Appeals to me. :)

BTW, thanks for the technical term. The name escaped me at the time.
  • like what yooper said, its on the rear of the block. the old filter was black in color. You'll need to roll your Pro on a ramp, that's what I did. I used those oil filter wrench to unscrew the old filter because you kind of have to reach for it.

9050 mi. and still zoomin'
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Creeper races! For those who change their own oil.

fowler3
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    Hey people... long time since I last posted!

My '01 ES is holding up okay: I still have to go back to the dealer to have the morning exhaust buzz fixed and now the engine begins to "tick" under moderate acceleration. Otherwise the ES is solid at 6,000 miles -- no rattles/squeeks -- and/or breakdowns. Power and braking are very good. A/C is fair at idle but cools very well when the engine is at cruising RPMs. I have noticed one "small" glaring cheapout in the new ES: the black carpeting is very thin and appears bald in a couple places -- especially under drivers mat. Anyone else notice it? :) Maybe I'll bring it to the dealer's attention next week.

Maltb: Yep, cardboard is great for working under the car!! The tiny Mazda oil filter is a "pain!" to remove... Dealers always install it too tightly.

MARTIN
  • bondobobbondobob Posts: 34
    My MP3 just came into the dealer and I pick it up next week. I've seen the reviews (Grassroots Motorsports had a decent write-up) and have driven the car. While I am a bit older than the intended audience, I wanted a little rice-burner without having to built the thing from scratch. I think it will do nicely for some local autocross, too.

Question: The First Drive review online here mentions the Kenwood MP3 stereo has being hissy and heavy bass. Understanding that the younger driver likes to boom boom (rather than zoom zoom!) does the unit come with EQ? Are there adjustments on the subwoofer? Just curious.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Posts: 207
    I while back there was a post stating that the pro is not a good long trip car. I disagree. I find my '99es comfy and competent on trips of several hundred miles. [with one sticking point... as jstandefer wrote, 5th gear is TOO short. I would like a substantially longer gear or 6th speed]
  • mhallackmhallack Posts: 32
    I haven't found what I would consider an EQ, but there are NUMEROUS ways to adjust the subwoofer. I've been fairly impressed with the stereo, but it will take a little while to figure out how to best adjust it: you do have to have a special degree to read the instruction booklet. ;^)

It's funny, but the car seems most fun to me with the windows down at 45-55 mph. One of the reasons being that the sound system is fantastic at drowning the wind noise out. Maybe thats what it was designed for?

As far as being older than the demographic, I understand that it is supposed to be 19-25, but I'm 32 (and have chatted online with some MP3 owners who I believe are older). Maybe Mazda was shooting for the wrong demo?

There are quite a few MP3 owners over at madzamp3.com's forum. You might try there for a better answer to your stereo question.
    My cdplayer just ate Lynyrd Skynyrd (circa late '70s)There's no "disc in" indication light, no eject function, no vol, not even am/fm. Hate to go to the dealer unless I have to. Any ideas?? Thanks Dennis MI
    Have any of you had the tranny jerk as you accelerate? It's happened twice in my 2001 LX 2.0 when accelerating from 40mph. There's a sudden jerking motion,rpm's drop, and a loud Klunking sound. Then everything runs smoothly.

fowler3
    Jeez, that don't sound good. If it was me I'd be standing tall at the dealer serv. dept. @0730 tomorrow. Keep us posted. Dennis MI
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Try disconnecting the battery cables. Then reconnect them to the battery and start the car. This might reset the CD player. I saw this done at Lancaster Mazda Toyota, where I purchased my Protege's. It worked for a guy with a Toyota Camry Solara. He had a CD stuck in the player and the guy who drives the dealerships shuttle bus, suggested this fix. Bingo!! It worked perfectly.

Good Luck,
    Larry
  • bondobobbondobob Posts: 34
    Thanks, MHallack for the reply. I'm 41 (so way outside the target demo), and would never have bought a run-of-the-mill Protege. However, as I couldn't buy the PT Cruiser with the Touring Options and a five speed, I started looking for something interesting. I bought a 2001 Durango a year ago, but my wife drives that all the trip except for trips. I figured I'd get something that scats and doesn't suck up quite as much ga$.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Take the heel of your hand and whack the dashboard above the CD player (between the radio and the hazard light switch) to get the CD out. My 1999 DX CD player used to do that, and would give back the CD after a good whack or two with the old heel. :)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    My 2001 Protege ES would not start on Saturday morning. I was driving Friday evening with the radio blasting and the windows and sunroof open, and the music all of a sudden stopped. I was a little worried, thinking I blew something out. When I went back to the car on Saturday morning, it did not start! I called roadside assistance, and they said it would be about an hour. But some nice person at the hotel I was staying in (company affair) gave me a jumpstart. I drove it right to my dealer after that and left it. They turned it off and restarted it like 3 times, and it turned right back over. They will call tomorrow and tell me if there is anything wrong with it.

What gets me is that I bought a second Protege (I had a 1999 DX model) because the first was so reliable. This one seems to be a little troublesome (alignment issues, steering wheel was installed crooked but fixed under TSB, and brake rotors warped). I am starting to think I could have got my second choice, the Jetta, and had the same or less problems with it. I still do like the car, but am just a little disappointed with it, especially since I only have 9800 miles.
    Thinking about the jerking problem, I recall that both times it was when I was accelerating from 40mph and then let up on the gas pedal momentarily. It could have been due to that, right at the shift point from 3rd gear to 4th gear I let up, and the tranny jerked when I gave it more gas.You can't speed up and slow down at the same time at a shift point. ;)

Dennis, when you disconnect the battery to get the CD out, you will have to reset the clock and all radio stations. But try it! Better than having the dealer's service people take the whole thing apart.

fowler3