Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    I'd be interested, though I wouldn't make it this year.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Before I leave for the day, I'd like to thank everyone at Edmunds for the T-shirts for our event. You sent us enough so everyone can take a shirt home to their spouse! Thank you very much!

The final tally? 13 cars and 20 people. That beats the pants off last year's 5 cars and 9 people. I've got the digital camera ready to go.

Now if the weather will just cooperate. It's hard to look out the window at the cloudless Richmond sky at 3:25 p.m. and know it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow morning. I hope they're wrong! Oh well, it's supposed to clear off by lunchtime anyway. Could be worse!

Everybody have a great weekend. The picnic will be old news by the time I get back here to my internet connection at work next Tuesday (we're off Monday for Columbus Day -- that's one benefit of having a state job). Please save some excitement for me -- I'll have a bunch of as-yet-unseen pics to share then!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

Meade

(Yeah zoomzoomzoom)
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I was using castrol syntec 10w30 till now with mazda oem filter.

I just changed to AMSOIL 5w30 with mobil1 filter.....and got the thrill of my life....

As I pushed down the gas pedal as i usually do to ge upto 2500rpm, I see the tach at 4000 RPM......the engine is running like a sewing machine....It's become really hard to control the RPM since even the slighest push on the gas pedal sends the tach up to 3000+ rpm

This really feels like Zoooom Zooom....

have a good MAPP-II everybody.
    I am envious that I even tho' i am so close, I am simply not able to come over...:(
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Wow...I didn't think that a filter and new oil would change the engine that much! That's wild.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Speedypt...

Well, so you're going to try again? I'll e-mail you separately, but also posting here to encourage others.

Yes, the 13th would be fine with me...

Come on, midwesterners!

P.S. to Meade: I'm going to let this one slip by, because I know you're just so excited by your little event that you got carried away, but CRAP? Come on, now :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Why can't we have a national Protege picnic? We could call it P.O.O.P. (Protege Owners Only Picnic) They also have a modified Honda club in Tennesee with a similiar acronym. It's called Super Hondas In Tennesee.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Are we sure we're old enough to have driver's licenses?
    Ha ha ha ha!! Meade started it.
  • Chicago Area Chrysler Association

I feel shame.

twist
  • Impressive to see how well the car mags like the mp3 handling. Note that according to Tirerack, the dunlop 9000's are not a top 'max performance' tire. Imagine what the mp3 would do on bridgestone potenza so3's.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    is Winston-Salem,NC. I live 23 miles east in Jamestown. Surprisingly, there aren't many KK shops here. There is a big one in High Point and always open, been there since 1936, it's a landmark.

You are right about hot-out-of-the-oven, entirely different experience, buttery smooth with a hot cup of coffee. Schools raising money for projects send kids door-to-door selling boxes of Krispy Kremes.

Yesterday I made a trip across town and saw Protegés at every intersection! Two white ones, a black one, Sandlewood, Sand Mica...and one red one that had been riced up.

The red one had been lowered, had after market alloys, something done to the engine (on the trunk was a badge SR), and a big exhaust pipe with a 5" chrome cover. The Mazda badge on the front had been removed from the chrome bar ('99 or '00 model). When the driver accelerated it made a noise similar to an Ultralight airplane, not as loud though.

Oh yeah, I got close to it at a stop light and saw the interior -- the owner had painted the underside of the instrument cluster shroud and the mid-dash pod bright red. Cool!

fowler3
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    Meade: Yeah, it was a terrible vehicle. Mine was a 1997 auto and I did not like it. It was my second car and I pretty much ended up driving it because my dad bought it for me and said "drive this". It came in handy for hauling stuff to college (but all my stuff fits in my Pro5 as well) but I hated only having room for two, I hated having no acceleration, I hated having no amenities other than CD, I hated how it handled, etc. Didn't have any mechanical problems with it until I layed it over on a gravel road. Oopsie. Now my dad drives it which is just as well because he's working in facilities for a major credit card company and they're building a huge new facility. Pretty much he's working at a construction site so the truck is good for him. His boss (who is reputed to be an [non-permissible content removed]) drove his brand new Jag out to the construction trailer because he was in too much of a hurry to wait for the shuttle, bottomed it out, and tore out the entire exhaust. I like the Protege5 much better than the B2300 and would never drive another truck unless it was a full size one.

As for CAPP or CRAP or whatever acronym you're using, I'd love to attend if only I was back home. Unfortunately I can't make the 1500 mile trek for the weekend ;) Also the 13th is homecoming as well as my fraternity's Founder's Day which means there will be plenty of festivities here but if you do plan a Perfect Protege Picnic in Chicago, I hope it goes well (and I want pictures!) :)
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    There is a Krispy Kreme store in either Naperville or Woodridge (Chicago suburbs, the boundary gets fuzzy right around where the store is) that allegedly is the busiest Krispy Kreme location in the country - and it's not even two years old. They have a giant conveyer belt where you can watch the dough being formed and cooked then glazed and, if you're lucky, they'll pull one fresh off the end of the conveyer belt for your sampling delight :)
  • How'd it go everyone?
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Okay...here's the scoop. Want to try to plan for the 13th. I know it's a week away but hopefully we can put together something fun...if not that fancy. There's a nice area near the intersection of I90 and I290 West/53 North called Busse Woods. It 3 minutes from the Woodfield Mall and has all needed amenities.

I can provide the grill and cooler of assorted beverages...heck...I'll even bring the burgers. Is it supposed to be cold next weekend? Yep, but that's no big deal! Lets show those Mediocre Apathetic Protege Posers what Chi-town spirit is really like! (Duck Meade! Volley coming your way!)

Even if we only end up with 3-5 cars, I'd still like to put this together. I've been working WAY too much and need a fun event like this.

ChicagoPRO...got your email, I thought I try just once more to get this rolling. More notice would probably be better, but some of the best things I've ever done came together at the last moment!

Other potential CAPP attendees: email me. peter_rollins@hotmail.com

Regards,

Pete
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Does anybody know anything about the Mazda X-plan? I know that there's been discussion about the S-plan, but I believe somebody mentioned an X-plan for us Canadians. Thanks in advance.

PF
  • I showed up a little later (2:20pm) but when i got there...to my surprise i was the 12th car :). Jeremy thomas (eeterp) came like 20 minutes before the park closed so that brought the total up to 13 total cars!! There were 3 first gen's, 1 2nd gen and 9 3rd gens. (one being a protege5). I have pictures on my site located at:

http://groharlem.tripod.com (i'm making the page as i type this so it won't be up for maybe another hour). If there are any errors on that page (like me mispelling your name or email addy PLEASE LET ME KNOW...i think i got them right, but some of u have some messy handwriting ;0) ).

Anyways, i'd like to thank Edmunds for sending the shirts (i got two :) ), and Meade for organizing it and sending updates daily (that actually really helps since i lost his original in my email shuffle).

Wil

93 LX 5spd

http://groharlem.tripod.com

Your pics don't work.
  • Yeah they do.....I just registered the site "firstgenprotege1" specifically for hosting that meet's pics and its ALREADY OVER ITS DATA TRANSFER LIMIT :(. I'm working on gettign it switched to a BETTER hosting service. I think geocities only allows like 300 kb's per hour or some pathetic crap.

All the pictures are there though, so if you get lucky they will all load up and stuff, but i haven't been lucky either :(.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The picnic was great fun and it was nice to meet other fellow enthusiasts as well. I am already looking forward to next year's MAPP. :)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    I saw the MAPP-2 pics early this morning, good job! (I probably checked them before geocities decided the download limit had been exceeded :-)

Seems like you guys had a fun time!

Awaiting more reports and pix.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    It was pretty cool. Waiting for more people that took pictures to post them on the web.
  • I rehosted them on a diff site..here is the link for it:

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~protege/mapp2.htm

I hope nothing screws up on that.....

DL the videos...they are worth it :)

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    in the big picture? Can you give us the names left to right?

TELL ME! Before the terrorists retaliate or I may never know.

fowler3
  • I just wanted to say that it was very nice to meet everyone at the MAPP II meet yesterday!! The pics turned out very good and my brother Jeremy Dehart(Blue Sport 20) and myself (White 94dx)plan on being at the next meet.

Michael DeHart
  • crap, i should post who is who i guess LOL.

OK in the big picture, i'll start fronm the closest cars (blue 2000 sport 20 and red p5) to the back:

jeremy dehart jason krotine
    david brook me
    paul king steve frattini
    kevin richey meade daffron
    hank kuo mike dehart
    santiago sanchez larry kline

Jeremy Thomas (eeterp) showed up about an hour and a half after we took that picture. I was hoping we could get another shot of a half circle but some ppl had to go :(
  • Whoops...that is totally wrong...(i read the list backwards halfway through it LOL). here is who is who for real ;)

On the left side of pic (starting with blue sport 20)
    Jeremy dehart
    david brook
    steve frattini
    meade daffron
    mike dehart
    larry kline

On right side of pic (starting with red protege5):
    jason krotine
    me
    paul king
    kevin richey
    hank kuo
    santiago sanchez
  • mckaguemckague Posts: 24
    Forgive my protege ingorance. What's a Sport 20 Familia? Saw the MAPP pics which included a picture of one. Looks sharp.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Darren, to answer your question indirectly, it's a work of PASSION and DEVOTION. Jeremy Deharts' Familia conversation was OUTSTANDING! You can't purchase a Familia over here, however; Jeremy converted his Protege to the North American equivalent. Kudos, to Mr. Dehart! I needed a napkin to hold back the drool while checking out his little beasty! The mods where very tasteful and the devotion to speed, very admirable. I much prefer his pocket rocket to Mazda's MP3. This is no slam on the current MP3, I have great affection for that daring little Protege half-brother! Nevertheless, Jeremy's Familia conversation ROCKS!

Respectfully,
    Larry