Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    As I said in an earlier post, if you go with the S Plan, it's a straight 1.5% under invoice for both model years. If you take the rebate, then you'll save $750 by going with the '00 ($1,500 rebate on the '00's vs $750 on the '01's). Plus another $350 since the '01 is more expensive. But if you go with the 0% financing for 48 months, the $750 difference in rebates is gone. Also, if you want the ABS/SAB but not the moonroof, the '01 gives you that choice.
  • The new protege 2.0 has 130hp vs 122hp on the ES. And the new protege looks a lot better in and out.
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    The Mazda website lists a "ignition key illumination" as standard on all trim levels for the Protege. '01 Owners...is it really there?

Pete
  • If you close or open a door it lights up ( green color ).
    Not a big deal but it's on the '01's (at least on the ES).
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    2000 vs 2001: Think content!
    2001 gives you more including a better handling, more power, free loaner for warranty service, rear spoiler, fog lights, white guages(YUK!), LIGHTED IGNITION SWITCH, sticky tires & more.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Hey guys ... don't go to your Mazda dealer for plug wires! Get a good set from NAPA! I got a set for my '92 LX from NAPA for $45 -- much cheaper than the $75 my dealer wanted at the time! And they actually looked more substantial than the OEM wires I replaced them with.

Paul buddy ... I've been reading your posts over the past week or so, and it appears that since you've fallen in "love" with the Bonneville, which occupies an entirely different class, you have done nothing but find fault with your Protege. Not too long ago (and not too many miles ago either -- maybe 5,000?) you were extolling the praises of your Protege. Go back into the Ford Focus topic only about a month or so if you've forgotten. Gee -- only two or three months ago, we were all trying to talk some sense into you because you were trying every way possible to get out of your '99 DX and into an '00 ES!

If you're really having the problems that you claim to be having, I don't understand why fixing them is so difficult. First of all, you still have a warranty. And second, your state has a lemon law. Check it out -- if your dealer can't identify and fix your problem after the specified number of attempts, you may have a case.

All cars have problems at some point. That's why there are warranties and service departments. My Protege is currently awaiting a new CD player because I -- yes, I -- made the mistake of putting a CD with a label on it into my CD player -- a practice that the owner's manual warned about, stating the CD might get stuck. Well, it did. But my service department is replacing it under warranty. Does this mean my car sucks? NO! I also had a door rattle. I took it in, calmly explained my problem, and my service department fixed it. Does THAT make my car a piece of crap? Not at all!

Give your Protege some slack. You've driven it long enough to find some quirks. Has your transmission died on you? No. You should tell your service department that you want to make sure they've documented all of the times you've complained about the "jerk," so they'll know you complained if something ever does happen. With my '94 B2300 pickup (built by Ford -- really a piece of junk), my dealership kept taking stabs at an engine pinging problem until I traded it for the Protege at 114,000 miles. I only had the base 3 year-50,000 mile warranty on it, but I never paid a dime for all the work they did after my warranty expired. I'm just trying to prove that there ARE special circumstances sometime!

Like I said several months ago, my 1992 LX automatic did the same thing you're describing. They said it was normal, and sure enough, the car was still doing it at 83,000 miles when I traded it in on another vehicle. I never had one transmission problem. Remember, your Protege is a tight little car, and any little transmission jerks will feel much more pronounced than they would in a big, wallowing Bonneville!

You've still got a warranty. Relax and take the car in with a laundry list, and turn 'em loose on it.

And keep the receipts.

Meade
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    think with your wallet. Whatever you can afford. I would have loved a 01, but with the incentives we got with the 00 we got a slightly cheaper car that will have about the same warranty (ours expires in Dec03 while the 01's owners here will have theirs expire 1-2 months later.

same diff. I would have loved a 16" tire, but you can get those afterwards.

think what you can afford.
    and considering the Protege's 35.4 vs the Civic's 36"

the Civic adds that in since they've removed the center hump in the floor. so the Protege still has more space where it counts. right behind the front seats.

The space in the Protege is what got us to buy the Pro over the Sentras. We liked the front seat area of the Sentra more, but the rear was just too terrible to overcome.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I like the fog lamps and spoiler of the 2001 as well as the lighted ignition cylinder. But, I like the audio system in the 2000 better, from the way it looks. I also like the front end a little better. I might just look for a 2000 ES with the fog lights and rear spoiler installed already. I have to get some things straight first before considering a car though, so by the time I am ready I might have a choice but a 2001. I am definitely going to join the EAA to take part in the S-Plan when purchasing next time.

The address: http://www.eaa.org for those who are interested.

Its not a subwoofer like you expect the ghetto style to have.

its a 10" (1) that is hooked up to a seperate amp to power the low bass. Another amp is set for his component speaker up front and the 6x9's. the car can pack the bass, but making the sub take the bass, it allows all the interior speakers to play more clean sound. It doesn't sound garbled or anything. nice clean sound you could expect from a good home stereo system.
    See, I liked some of the audio systems' pictures that were posted in the last Protege topic. Everyone (almost) thought they were ugly, but I thought they were kinda neat. I saw a Sony Xplod system at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago (like in the Ford Focus') for like $200 for the head unit. I was thinking about upgrading, but I am not about to give up my double-DIN radio for a single one and lose my cassette player (not that I hardly use it). I just like to be able to have dual playback when I want it.

Anyway, I just turn on the station and listen to it. It's a good-sounding radio to me. Of course, everyone tells me I am tone-deaf anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :)
    Having no center hump improves the rear leg room measurement? Are you sure? Do you know how the EPA conducts the measurement?
    i have no clue how they measure it, but considering its increased 2" from 00 to 01, i can assume the removal of the center hump has aided in that figure to some extent.
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Is there some kind of special financing or something?

Leo
  • The 2001 Civic has ~2" more rear legroom despite a DECREASE in the overall length of the car (compared to a 2000 model). Honda achieved this by changing the front suspension system from double wishbone to (I think) MacPherson strut. (It has nothing to do with the elimination of the center hump.) However, Honda seems to be paying a price for this since a recent Consumer Reports reported a deterioration in ride and I read at least one other review that was critical of the change in suspension.

By the way, here are the things that I like and dislike about the new ES:

Like:
    - new, more powerful engine
    - new alloys
    - 16" wheels
    - better handling
    - standard fogs
    - front and rear disc brakes

Dislike:
    - HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, (do you get the idea), HATE, HATE, HATE the white gauges
    - spoiler should be OPTIONAL
    - faux brushed aluminum trim is a bit too much (but I don't HATE it!)
    - lower mpg compared to Civic/Corolla
    - interior is a bit too dark

Because of the spolier and white gauges, my wife and I may have to go the route of the LX 2.0. I hate to give up those killer 16" alloy wheels though. Also, at ~$700 over the price of a comparably equipped LX 2.0, the ES is a real deal.

Bill
  • I DO NOT CARE FOR THE WHITE GAUGE'S ...I also think that the spoiler is tacky.
    Hey. I'm in the same dilemma you're in, ES 2.0 vs LX 2.0. You also know you get two choices in interior color with the LX, right?
  • LX LX LX LX LX ....I have not checked but it would be nice to see if you save any money by choosing LX over ES ...since they both have a 130hp engine, I do not know if it would matter.
    That would seem to be the only reason for me to choose the LX 2.0 compared to the ES. I like the fogs, spoiler, white gauges, brushed aluminum, and all the other things about the car. But what color are the white gauges illuminated in? It would be very nice if they were illuminated in the same color as the ones in my roommate's 2000 Dodge Neon ES. That is the only thing I like about that Neon, the color of the gauges at night.
    RED....that's the only weak part of the ES IMO. I can't stand white guages...reminds me of a Pep Boys add-on. Everything else looks good including the spoiler and alloys.
  • I ad alloy wheels on my truck, had to spend sooo much time cleaning them (brake dust and dirt). I would rather have hub-caps (cheaper to replace and easier to clean).
    My dad who is 63 is looking for another car and I'm thinking about setting hin up in a LX 2.0 as the ES doesn't fit him. Maybe some of you are in the same boat. :)
    They have indoglo gauges for sale on EBay in the Protege section. They are like $100 and up or something like that. But I wouldn't wanna take the chance in changing the gauges and causing rattles in the dash over time. I know the indiglos would look a lot nicer in the dash than the white with red lighting. Of course, my Bonneville has red backlighting on the gauges and it looks nice. I would have to see it first before condeming it.
    Well after driving it, that was the only thing I didn't like. I wish it were like an old Kenwood stereo I had that allowed you to switch between green and red...really cool around Christmas time. :)
  • My father has a 2000 Protege DX, and there is a lot of difference between the seats in his car and the seats in my 1999 LX. The DX does feel like it's poking you in the back at times, and when I drive it, I just can't seem to get comfortable in it like I do in my 99. I DO like the 2000 improvements over the 1999, but I can't wait to see the 2001!

I am seeing a different ignition module in the car in this 2001 MP3 interior shot...what does everyone else think? target=_blank

• Has anyone read the March 2001 edition of Car and Driver? The Tribute/Escape both tied at the #1 spot! Reminds me of some other Mazda that got the top spot about 6 months ago...hmmm...anyone know what it was? Oh yeah - the PROTEGE! Zoom Zoom!
    I repeat, all 2001s have a key hole light.
  • Well, I was able to take the Green 01 ES 5-Speed for a short drive after work today.

Now being the type of person I am, and being that it will not be my car , I did not rip her into the passing lane at redline.

Observations:

Engine: Midrange felt slightly better than my 1.8. Definitely seems tuned for the automatic.
    No other improvement for under 4,000 rpm situations, IMO. I think the extra 100lbs is VERY noticeable. The pound per horsepower on the 01 is only .3 tenths better than the 00. The 2.0 does not seem any louder. No difference in shifter feel.

Handling: Superb. Although IMO, slightly stiffer. I felt it wanted to chase pavement cracks a tad more than my 1.8. But that's MO only. The tires are QUIET. Brake feel was no different. I did not attempt any hard stops however.

Interior: Still feel no seat difference over my 00. The white gauges really bugged me. I think it's because the interior is so dark. I can't stand the pattern on the seat fabric either, but they are just personal taste issues. Center console is nice. So is the new rear deck with no center mounted light.

Verdict: I'll wait till I see the owner on the road, then we will see how much quicker she moves that extra 100lbs. Scudley, are you reading this? keep a look out.

Regards,
    Mark.