Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    About 3 years ago I went to change the air filter on my '96 V6 Ford Contour. Which I'd still be driving if it had been built in Japan by Mazda. But I digress! Anyway I opened the air box and pulled the filter. Lo and behold, in the bottom was about a third of a cup of those aqua colored poison pellets. I was not pleased! I'd put several trays around the garage to "prevent" mouse problems. LOL. Since they were upstream of the filter it wasn't a problem but still...
    I am in full agreement with you. Given the Big 3's low priority on build quality and execution I felt I couldn't afford another domestic. And I have a theory on that. Since SUVs and pick-up trucks represent the Big 3s cash cow I suspect that's where most of there effort goes at the expense of their car offerings. I've never owned a pick-up or SUV so have no first hand experience.
    I'll be the first to admit that my theory may be full of bull. But I'd like to hear from others on this. Certainly this forum is not lacking in strongly held and informed opinion.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Does anyody think that it's too early to take in my Pro for its first oil change? It has about 4600 km (almost 3k miles). Also, what about regular oil changes? The manual says to do it at every 8000 km (4800 miles). Is that number the maximum duration between oil changes? Is it ok to change every 5000 km or is it a waste? Please advise ASAP as I have already scheduled to have it taken in tomorrow morning (Saturday morning)!! Thanks again guys and gals.

Mike
    I must have gone blind reading posts on this. One theory is that initial changes at around 500, 1000,150 miles will cleanse a new engine of small metallic particles, so do it this way. Another theory is that waiting til what's recommended will help "wear in" things like rings. So this is the way to go. Flip a coin. I just did my first oil change at 5402 mi/8692klicks. 5K recommended for severe use, 7500 for normal. I did put in Mobil 1 since I had 6 qts of 5W30 in the garage. About 3 or 4 years old which is no problem if it was unopened and of the right spec. This according to Mobil 1 tech support.
    So what you're basically saying is that it doesn't really matter...I too have read many discussions on this topic, but just wanted some input from some Pro owners. Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead w/ the oil change. Thanks.
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter but rather who do you believe?
  • dsgechodsgecho Posts: 89
    TP reccomendations are for 32 all the way around on the 2001 LX 2.0 How many people are running these figures or maybe a little higher to get better mpg or perhaps handling?
    Don
    I see your point. Too many people giving misinformation based on wives tales. A lot of the message boards here at Edmunds seem to have a lot of these rumors spread around (i.e. synthetic vs. dino oil, etc.). Thanks for the input.

Regards,
    Pro_fan
  • mhallackmhallack Posts: 32
    I'm getting in on the discussion a little late, but as a MP3 owner I'd actually like to vote to stay with the protege sedan group...there are already more forums for MP3s than there are owners!

I agree that although the MP3 has quite a few mods (between suspension, body kit, stereo, exhaust, wheels/tires, etc. every time I tally it the stuff would have cost $4 to $5k separately), it is just a sporty ES.

That said, really sport ES's are cool. And distinctly not a 'freak show'. I have a hard time believing that someone could be so disgusted by the look of the MP3, at the same time they are test-driving a Pro5 (which is distinctly funky itself). That said, maybe I am experiencing a second childhood, but at least I'm not driving an Oldsmobile.

BTW, the same guy who was at 193hp, is now at 209 (and there is a scan of a dyno test on www.mazdamp3.com for proof). Personally, now that the engine is broken in, mine feels stronger than the 140 rating would imply: even with the incredibly sticky Dunlops, torque steer is an issue. I don't know how someone with a heavily modified 2.0L could drive in a straight line.
    The dealership where I bought my Pro from and getting the oil changed at tomorrow apparently has some MP3's for sale! I'm going down there to take a look and see if they have them on the lot. I'd like to see one up close and personal.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    I have had my Protege aligned twice since I have owned it. The first time was under 1,000 miles. The dealership said it was common for a new vehicle to require an alignment. Going from the factory to a ship to a storage lot to a truck to the dealership carries a lot of potential to tweak the factory alignment. That first alignment lasted until about the 45,000 mile mark and is still fine now. It seems to hold alignments pretty good.
    I typically have my oil and filter changed every 3,000, but I let it go to 5,000 miles a couple of times. I do a lot of hard driving, but I have to say that the oil stays extremely clean. Even at the 5,000 mile mark between changes, the oil has only darkened to a darker gold color. The Ranger I used to have would go black within a couple thousand miles. The RX-7 always had oil that looked brand new. However, I had to add oil frequently since it injected oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the apex seals on the rotor. Sometimes I wondered why it would even be necessary to change the oil in the RX-7, since in a 5,000 mile period, I would add enough oil to be equivalent to an oil change.

BTW, every oil change on my Protege has been at the dealership using the manufacturer specified filter, which is the small one. I have never had any complaints or concerns regarding the smaller filter since my oil stays so clean.
    Meade and I always behave ourselves. We just enjoy our, um, "friendly" discussions. :-)

topazmoon, I'm glad to see you are still with us. I hope you are enjoying your Millenium Red LX 2.0. It is a terrific looking car, but I was sadly disappointed Mazda decided to delete Classic Red from the color palette. I am sorry to hear about your "vermin" problem. I can't remember what dealership John Hine traded with to get your car. We have had problems with dealer trades coming from Mazda of the Desert in Cathedral City. It seems they have quite a rodent problem out there and we have received several cars with extensive wiring insulation damage. Hopefully, the dealership you are taking it to will fix your problem for you. If not, certainly take the time to come back down to San Diego and have Hine take care of it. You or I can let Tom Lopez know that you are coming so he can get the service department prepped for you, and while your car is in, we could go grab lunch or something. Good luck!!

In terms of modifications, my first priorities are quieting the interior and solving the rattles. I figure as I sound-proof the doors and flooring, I can tighten the brackets and add insulation material to areas that rattle. Hopefully, that will take car of the problem, plus make the car significantly quieter. I will also change the carpeting from light gray to black like the '01 ES. Light gray is a terrible color for carpeting!!

Yeah, it is kind of funny for a Protege5 owner or prospective owner to make fun of the MP3. The front bumper, fog lamps, and side skirts are exactly the same between those two cars. Of course, the MP3 has the large wing, but I can't imagine it without it. One little detail I liked about the MP3 is the badging. It's not chrome like the sedans and Pro5, rather its like a painted silver and does look better since the Mp3 has absolutely no chrome on it.
    I just saw your post in the Millenia board. CONGRATULATIONS on your new 2001 Platinum Silver Millenia!! I am absolutely jealous. I have wanted a beautiful Millenia for many years now and is probably why I am less than satisfied with my Protege. That's what I get for working at the dealership. I drove a Millenia S everyday for lunch and travels to our storage lots. I absolutely love that car!! Congrats!!
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    that is exactly what I expected.
    after your protege bashing, I had doubts about my engg. background.
    Why? 'cause before buying the car, i looked over it pretty good and I found the structure of the car to be of very high quality.
    you jusr re-affirmed my convictions.

granted that the doors and dash may rattle but the car's chassis will not give away EVEN with daily spirited driving like you do.

Try looking under the PRO ES. You will find the chassis is very tough....

Long live the PRO ES!!
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    how much do stock stamped steel wheels cost?
    like the ones found on the LX?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Now when I go to lower my driver's side window (since I have gotten my tints done 2 weeks ago), it stops about halfway. I can see and feel the door panel bulging out as it tries to go down. I have to open the door and slam it several times before the window will finally lower. I have an appt. on 9/24 to get my brakes checked (rotors are warped), and I will bring up the issue then to my service advisor.

Drove today for 3 solid hours (cruising with a good friend) and got out of the car with little back pain. Very comfortable seats, I must say. Never was able to drive that long in any other car I have owned (including my 1999 DX), and this is car #5 in 4 years of driving. Go Protege ES! :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Thanks. We are pretty proud of our new car. My wife told me today to stop going on and on about what a bargain it is and just enjoy it! We took it to the Mall of Georgia today for some shopping with my daughter. I about had a heart attack with so many cars near my new beauty, especially considering my recent experiences with my Protege!

It is too bad the Millenia came in last on Edmunds near luxury comparison test. I guess I can take some solice in looking at who the competition was and knowing I paid no where near what the other cars cost. Oops! There I go again!
  • giasolgiasol Posts: 3
    hey all!

i'm about to finalize my purchase of a mazda protege and am between the ES cars available at my local dealer. i'm trying to figure out if i should get the abs breaks. doing so would probably mean purchasing a color i don't really want and going over my budget. any thoughts?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    ABS is designed to keep the car from skidding and makes it safer (in my opinion) to drive in rain and snow. You don't have to worry about skidding, since the car takes care of the brake pumping for you. Whether you wanna get a color you don't want and go over your set budget is up to you. No one can make that decision for you. If it were me (and it was back in Feb. 2001), I would get the ABS (and I did). It has saved me from at least 2 accidents in the rain due to other drivers' error. Totally up to you though. Also, check with your insurance company. Most offer discounts for a car with ABS brakes.