Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Holycow! That's a LOT! And $91 to renew it! Sheeesh. I'd leave the state.

In North Carolina,a one-plate state, vanity plates cost $25. They are made in the state prison system. Guess those guys have to have something to do.

They need block letters for the plates, not script. No wonder the police are complaining about them being hard to read which state they are from.

Wouldn't it be great if cars didn't require plates at all. Just a sticker on the windshield. Then manufacturers wouldn't put those flat places on front bumpers that look bad in single-plate states.

Some time in the distant future all cars will have a chip onboard that broadcasts the cars registration to the police with a radio command, including a photo of the owner. It will also be traceable by satellite if stolen.

fowler3
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Well busy day here.Had to teach grade 8s and now at work, I had a call that took 2 hrs and the issue is finally solved 2.45 mins later. I'm out of it.

Plates-wise,I like to see front plates on cars. It looks way to plain for my taste w/out one in front,especially when you have a plate you like (pics coming soon (10 days max) of my PRO).

Like everyone else, I'm enjoying the warm weather. Can't wait for summer so I can Zoom-Zoom with the windows open. (no sunroof here 0 although I LOVE them).

Hope Meade's cruising in style now...

Dinu
    Oh it was great here today! Temp in the mid-sixties, clear blue sky -- what we call "Carolina Blue" not a cloud in sight. And tomorrow in the mid-seventies. Rain Thursday and Friday...with snow in the mountains Sunday. Oh well, good things never last -- except Protegés. :)

One reason I didn't get the moonroof, it is either up or down, you can't raise it slowly and stop inbetween full open and closed. I'm talking about the tilt option.

fowler3
    Last time I heard anyone mention skirts on a car they meant covers for the rear wheel openings so you didn't see the wheels. Well not the upper half.
    I think they were called fender skirts.

I was over on the Acura TL boards yesterday, they were talking about people stealing TL headlights. Now THAT's a new one.

fowler3
  • Well, I hope the day is finally here for me, hopefully, Wednesday, 1/30/02. The dealer called me today to say he found my silver Pro ES. He should have it by tomorrow so with a little luck we can get all the insurance and reg issues done tomorrow as well and I can pick her up in the evening on Wednesday!

I keep reading that sales brochure and re-reading all of your posts. I really can't wait to get in, turn on that red dash light and have it be all mine. I've already bought the Mobil 1 and factory oil filters for the first 2 changes, including a new seal for the oil drain plug. EASIEST way to make sure there's no future leak from there.

I've even got my cd ready. It's a weird thing, but ever since my very first car, the first song I play in it is Red Barchetta by Rush. It came on the radio when I bought my first car as I drove it away. I've always considered it Karma since then. So, for each car since then, whether it be on cassette or now cd, I get it ready and put it in as I drive away for the first time. Silly ritual, but I can't stop it now.

Ron Brooks
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    So I guess we'll have to welcome a new PRO to the family. Good to hear that! I see you're all set. Good luck with the pick-up!

Fowler: Tllights getting stolen? reminds me when Euro side fender blinker lights were stolen in Romania on our car. Man was it annoying to come out in the morning and see the amber cover gone.We fixed this by getting some custom made green lights that no one wanted to steal. BTw the car was an Oltcit Club 11R (not that I expect anyone to have head about it). Good story though, Jim.

Dinu
  • I received soe answers from the folks at Mazdastuff.com on their sport exhaust if anyone is interested. There are different mufflers for the Pro and Pro5, so it is not a "oone size fits all" deal. The exhaust is a sport "tuned" muffler and tip. It's not a cat-back system.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    your #7459, paragraph 5..now that's scary. "Your papers please!"

C'mon. Give a guy a break. All this talk of temps in the 60's and 70's. Between tonite and tomorrow morning we're supposed to get 5"-8" of snow. :o(

I remember what fender skirts are. What does that say about me? :o)

Enjoy your beautiful weather folks.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Don't feel bad...the forecast for the rest of the week here calls for snow, freezing rain, and more snow.

Guess I have to go back to wearing socks again.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    You gotta stick with what works. Enjoy. :)
    Are the lamps on the Acura TL HID? I imagine they probably retail about $1000, even if they're not HID. Wonder if HID lamps are any good w/o the ballast and other parts of the boost system. Are these integrated into the headlamps? Good reason to not have them, I guess.

There will always be some folks who always ruin things for others. I don't understand that mind-set at all.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    No doubt about it Chicago can get some ferocious winter. Just watched something on the history channel about blizzards that shut the city down in '67 and '79.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Did you guys hook up at the Car Show this weekend?
    If so what was the hi-lite of the show?

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Eight-month-old Sean decided to stay up and cry all night Sunday night. Tammy has a new job and hasn't earned much sick leave, so after a quick family meeting it was decided that yours truly would spend Sunday night up with the baby.

What a college-like day it turned out to be yesterday. I got to bed when she and Sean left for work around 6:30 a.m., and slept until noon. Then I grabbed my vacuum cleaner, rags, bucket, etc., and spent the next three hours giving MY Protege a bath in the 68-degree sun --- ahhhhhh!

Then I took a little zoom through the countryside and still had time to stop by Costco to buy dinner and a new car seat for Sean's new ride (the white P5), before they got home!

No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car! I've posted all the particulars over on the Yahoo! group -- I may post them here too later, but I've got some stuff I have to catch up on this morning from my day off yesterday. So please forgive me; more to come ...

(BTW, now I have the problem of not knowing which Town Hall topic to hang out on!!!)

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Glad to hear all is well with the new car. And you were right, the white is pretty nice. It may have moved up to #2 on my list. Didn't quite come to a deal last night, but we're pretty close. We put the car seat in the back, it's a bit tight, but will work till we switch to a front facing one. Again, congrats on the new car.....
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Yooper: I vividly remember both the winters of 67 and 79. My mom and I were caught away from home at the beginning of the 67 blizzard...took several hours to get home by bus, taxi, and on foot.

The blizzard of 79 was the reason I never got my driver's license when I was a teenager. I was taking driver ed that winter in high school. About the time I got my learner's permit and was supposed to be practicing on the family car, we got dumped on. Our car (an old yellow Beetle) was buried on our side street for the better part of the winter. By the time the spring thaw came, I guess I had lost interest or my permit expired or something. (BTW, the car started right up the first time, even after all those months as a snow cone!)

Larry: Speedypt and I are meeting up at the car show on Saturday, Feb. 9th...so it's not too late for other Chicago folks to join us. I know you're out there...make yourselves heard!

Meade: Congrats on the new wheels!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    You can't go wrong with the Red Barchetta as far as classic driving tunes go. That song embodies what it's like to experience the first drive. Great Choice!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The auto show in Chicago is the same weekend as the one in the Baltimore? Cool! I will be at the auto show on Feb. 9th too. It ends on the 10th though, and starts on the 6th.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    The white definitely grows on you. Plus, in my opinion it makes the car look larger.

I really like the charcoal interior and the black floor mats. The gray ones in my 2000 ES are already showing black grease marks; the black ones will probably hold up better.

We've got a rear-facing child seat in the back seat, and it definitely cramps the leg room in the front passenger seat. However, I just purchased Sean a forward-facing seat yesterday and am looking forward to having leg room again!

One thing I did notice -- the trunk in the P5 is not as deep as the trunk in the Protege -- by a good 6 inches or so. We can fit our collapsed stroller in my Protege sideways and lengthwise, but it'll only go in the P5's trunk sideways. Trying to put it in straight leaves the wheels hanging out of the trunk. That's interesting -- everything I've read has said the trunks are the same size (except for height, of course).

Meade
    By about 4-5 inches. It's taken from the rear end. The cargo area is taller than in the sedan, but is definitely shorter front-to-back.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    I'm a little busy, and scared, to read back through 7000 posts. I'm deciding between the Sentra, Civic, and Protegé. (2001 or 2002) and though I haven't really started the test driving, (tonight I'm hitting the dealers), I'm hoping I'll get honest opinions on the car- I know that no car for this price is perfect and I'm trying to discover the vehicles pros and cons. I'm mainly looking for comfort and quality for the wife but I'm a pretty agressive driver myself. I'm already happy with my Miata as well, which puts Mazda in the good books for me. Does anyone have any problems? Does anyone regret buying one? I'm also curious as to how older (mid '90s) models are holding up.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    Does anybody know if the bumper-to-bumper warranty of our Protege covers wheel alignment? I think my Pro is starting to become a little misaligned. It pulls slightly to the left at highway speeds when the steering wheel is centered.

If not, how much does an alignment usually cost? The pulling has not become a safety hazard yet, but it bugs me as heck!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    How many miles do you have? I spoke with a person in my service department yesterday and he told me that the warranty only covers things that are manufacturers defects. Following just that, I'd say that if you have a lot of miles, alignment is not covered as it is known to change over time.

However, if your car is fairly new, I believe that there is some sort of period (I think it's about 20 000 km/12 000 miles or so) that they have to fix things like alignment. I think someone posted that before and I remember reading something like that in the owner's manual.

Are you sure it's just not the road that is crowned and causing the pulling sensation?

I'm actually a little ticked at the warranty. It was -1000 000 the other day and my block-heater plug had frozen into its little holder on the car. I went to pull the plug out and SNAP! The little holder broke off. The block heater cord is fine, but now it dangles down. I asked my dealership if this was covered and they said "no" as it was not a manufacturer defect. I then asked how much it would cost to fix it, and he said that he'd go check. Well that was yesterday and I'm still waiting. I think he forgot...grrrrr.
  • Wheel alignment is only covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. It's part of the adjustment warranty. After that, it will cost you... about $45-$60 per "axle".

I'm back... hi everyone... I will post an update later on... see ya'!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Good to see you back on the Pro board! Just to let you know, Meade has created a supplement to this board at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdaprotege/

• the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    it's only covered during the 12 month/12000 mile 'adjustment' period. Mine's 1.5 yrs old and 14000+ miles far. It only shows up on highway speed, on street speed it's fine. It could be the road, but I'm not sure. Oh well, I guess I'll wait til my next oil change to have it looked at since it's not a hazard yet...

Still enjoying my newly strut bar-stiffened Protege :)

Hey Meade, since now you have a P5 in your garage, you have a perfect sample to follow if you ever decide to install a strut bar for your 00 ES!

and welcome back Jerry!
  • I am not surprised that this has finally happened. One of the main reasons I stopped coming to this board is the "moderation". It seems I was getting blasted left and right by the moderators every time I mentioned anything other than the specific topic or had anything less-than-positive to say about a vehicle other than Mazda. The Edmunds' staff are apparently Honda, Toyota, and BMW lovers and they will squash anyone down that thinks otherwise.

How does everyone like the Mazda 6 and RX-8 North American debut coverage on Edmunds? Oh wait... there is no Mazda 6 or RX-8 North American debut coverage! I mean, I know they are not very significant... just the return of the venerable rotary engine and the highly respected RX nameplate. And the Mazda 6 (which has been covered by Edmunds for the Tokyo show) had many, many details released specifically for the North American market. Oh well... I just had to go to other sites for the coverage.

I think the snap from the sedans board moderator guaranteed the success of the Yahoo! group. I will definitely check out the Yahoo! group and join.
    Jerry Standefer, of San Diego! Have you cut loose your 1999 PRO-ES, yet? We missed you here, between you and Malt B we had a lot of Mazda "Know How". :-) Good to here from you, my friend.

Speaking of good buddies, Congrats on your newest baby Meade! I hope Sean feels better soon. BTW, I'm embarrassed for you! Why?...No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car! Meade, who wears the pants in that family? LOL!!! Just kidding, my friend!
    "...No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car!..."

by Protegextwoalso (Meade)