Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    http://www.mazdastuff.com has the performance stuff for the 2001-02 Protege in stock now. This includes MP3 strut bar, speakers, skirt package, and even the muffler. I know where my next paycheck's going! :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Thanks for the info Samsvoc. Just a few more questions though. Is the X-plan the same as "fleet-pricing?" How do you get the X-plan?
    Also, what vehicles does the X-plan apply to? Thanks in advance.

PF
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    Regarding my search for info about a possible
    new MPS next spring...

The new 2002 edmunds listing for the protege
    (took awhile to get 2002 protege sedan info on there) has in the review that:

"The enthusiast-oriented MP3 goes on hiatus as Mazda tries to extract more power from the engine."

This is subtly different from Car and Driver saying there would be no followup to the limited-
    run (1500) MP3. And we know racing beat has already said they won't try supercharging or turbocharging the Protege.

My preference would be a bigger mazda OEM engine for the EX or PR5, but said larger engine might only go in the MPS. We'll see. I don't need/want a big wing in the back.

To the prospective DX owner: you do know that the 2.0L engine from the EX is now standard across the protege line, right? You don't need an EX for that (I like the EX interior and handling upgrades though)

To vocus: thanks for the mazdastuff info. Getting the sport muffler (for possible freer breathing and a bit more power, not the sound) would be a
    definite consideration should I buy a protege.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Why would Mazda count on racing beat for power anyway?

Mazda knows how to do turbos reliably. The ones we've seen here were excellent performers:
    626/MX-6 Turbo
    323 GTX Turbo
    2nd Gen RX-7 Turbo

If there is an '02 MPS, expect it to have a factory turbo.
  • weisbeweisbe Posts: 5
    Silliy question, but....

I own a top of the line 2001 Protege (an 'ES' in Canada) - I am trying to fold back the back seats for storage purposes - but am having trouble doing so (the little knobs at either side do not seem to pop up).

Any hints?
    They are probably locked. Go into the trunk and make sure the levers on the backs of the seats there are flipped in the unlocked direction. Since they seem to be locked now, flip them the opposite way and see if they work then. If not, then they might be broken. But I bet they are locked. There is a little green flip-type switch on the trunk release that locks it too, on the striker. Same philosophy of securing the trunk from the interior. It would make alot more sense if Mazda offered a valet key as well, but they do not.
  • Thanks for the advice, vocus!
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    A huge thanks to Meade for organizing the event, I know I had a lot of fun, and I think others did as well. I wish I could have stayed longer, but had to go watch the Caps beat the Devils 6-1. It was great to meet all the nearby Protege fans on this board. I've now got a severe itch to do some modifications to my car.

I've got some pictures that I took as well, and as soon as I get the chance this evening, I will post them up online so everyone can see them.
  • weisbeweisbe Posts: 5
    Just flipped open the trunck and volia - both seats were in the locked position. IKEA, here I come!

thanks Vocus
    You're welcome. :)

And a little tip. If you fold down the back seats and move the front passenger's seat all the way up and recline it forward, the car will swallow a 6-foot tall IKEA wardrobe cabinet without the box. :) Just be careful not to scratch the back bumper like I did with it. :(
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Wouldn't there be more space if the front passenger seat is moved all the way forward and the seatback reclined rearward, with the headrest removed? It would be thinner and allow more vertical room.

Put something over the seat fabric, such as a blanket, to keep it clean and scuff-proof.

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Where can you buy that black trunk fabric when you need to cover the front passenger seat for long cargo?

fowler3
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I hate to beat a dying horse...but I'm really disappointed.

Three potential attendees for CAPP??? Me, LauraKat and ChicagoPro????? There HAS TO BE more ProOwners from the Midwest reading this board.....

LauraKat...I wouldn't hold my breath for an 8-hour drive (as enjoyable as it might be in a Pro) for a a three car get together.

I am going to start a Protege club. I am way too enamoured of my car to let that passion waste away. I NEED to hang out with other Pro-owners!

Once I get a name for this club, I will let you all know...probably something original like "Protege Owners Club" or something like that.

Anyway...ran errands on my lunch hour today. Had to stop into KMart for light bulbs and such for the house. Come out of the store to find a fresh door dent (not a ding...much too deep to be called a ding) from a brand-spankin-new DeVille DTS (temp tag and all). He parked right next to my car and he even had some of my paint on his door! The dent has broken paint and the rubber trim had a sizeable gouge in it. I stood there in disbelief for a few minutes, hoping the owner would come out and I could confront them. I waited about 5 mins and no owner. So what did I do? Well it was very out of character for me but I keyed that BRAND NEW DeVille's drivers door, scratching down to the metal.

Now before you all condemn me for what I already know was an act of total stupidity and utter immaturity, I have tried to deal with this exact same type of situation before the "right" way. I have always ended up getting told nothing could be done. Even when I've called the police on this before, they tell me it's why they have comprehensive insurance. Plus the satisfaction and gratification of giving that DeVille owner something to ponder every time he opens his door from now on made it all worth it.

I was wrong, I know I was wrong, and please don't tell me why I shouldn't have done it...I already know. Sheer frustration at the total lack of respect for other people's property is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm off to bed now...hoping tomorrow brings more respondants to the CAPP!

Regards,

Pete
  • Hello all!

01 LX 2.0 Premium here. I have heard so many conflicting views on the use of synthetic oil.
    Someone from another board said they called Mazda, and said they do not recommend using Synthetics, just a Synthetic Blend. I did not make this call myself.

Who out there uses them and has for a while now?
    Im sure its not a problem, but Im really trying to decide which Oil to use. The OD reads 3002 as of today! Time to make that commitment! As of right now, I have Castrol GTX in it. Only other option I guess would be Mobile one, or the non-off the shelf's Amsoil and Redline. I really want to stick with off the shelf.

ZOOM ZOOM!
  • You have my sympathy.

While we are on the subject of revenge for careless stupidity, let me rehash one of my favorite stories: My friend, Allan and I came out to find parked WAY TOO CLOSE in a not so crowded parking lot. Of course the car (a 80s GM with those huge doors) had dented the door on the passenger side. It was quite obvious that car had done the deed since Allan's blue paint still hung on the edge of the white Buick's door. He too waited, darkness fell and still no one came out of the mall to face the music. My friend was now quite pissed. And then the idea hit him. Just before we drove away in his now damaged Mustang, he peed down the outside of the window of the Buick and under the weatherstripping of the huge door. There's a smell that didn't go away for a long time.

Ah, New York.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    That's really all I can say about the retaliatory incidents. Although I do feel your pain, guys! Someone nipped the edge of the bumper on my 95 DX in a parking lot pretty hard, cracking it and gouging out a good 3 inch by 3 inch region. No note, no info! And my repair estimate, over $550-600. Painting being the major chunk of that expense. My comp deductible is 500 - I can't afford that right now, so that spot has (ugly) silver duct tape on it! Maybe I'll put some mailing tape over that and spray paint it white for the time being :-)

Does anyone have any idea if this is a part (95 DX entire front bumper assembly, cover and stryofoam backing) I might find at car scrap lots? And how do I go about looking for it?

Hate it, Hate it, but that's how its gotta be. I too remember wishing I had something to take my anger out on, but since the (perpetrator's) car was gone, I hit the tennis ball around with a friend instead! I still wonder what I'd have done if the other car was still parked next to mine.

I wish they'd outlaw coupes with gigantic doors (like the Cruella DeVille, hehe). And drivers who're careless in a parking lot! I just wish this (and a general sense of respect for someone else's property) would be part of basic driver training.

I know I'm usually pretty careful about how I park and open doors, but I'm going to be extra careful parking if I'm ever in NY or Chicago now, though :-)

Just curious, does leaving a note, and noting the car registration not help at all?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    You weren't wrong. If you knew that was the car, you did the right thing IMO. I probably would have kicked it real hard too so that a body panel needed to be replaced. Door dings aren't accidents, they are about being careless.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    First, to Pete ... maybe now you can appreciate how fun it was to organize MAPP two years in a row! Use your resources ... may I recommend contacting the Mazda Club of North America, based in Chicago? They have a website:

http://www.mazdaclub.com

Also, do a topic search for all of the topics related to the Protege, including the Protege5, owners' clubs, etc. Write an invite and copy it to all of the topics. Include links to the MAPP I and II photo sites so they can see what fun they might have doing one too.

Good luck!

While I haven't left my bodily fluids on a vehicle, I do have a fairly good story:

While I was in college at an urban university, I parallel-parked along a side street downtown for an evening class. When I got back to my car, I found that the car behind me had crushed my clear plastic license plate cover, and dented my license plate, while attempting to park behind me. (I could tell it was him because he had one of those damned Pontiacs with the pointed bumpers and it lined up with the starburst in my plate cover.) I walked around his car and found he had a cover on his rear plate, too! One swift kick and his matched mine now!

Hee hee hee ...

Meade

• draymond2draymond2 Posts: 134
    Does anyone know any dealers that are discounting the Tribute now? I contacted some dealers in my area (metro Louisville) a few months ago, no one was interested in coming off of MSRP.

My wife wants to get rid of her SuperCrew, don't ask it is a long story.
  • Pete,

We know where you live.
    We know what car is registered in your name.
    How many 2001 Mazda Proteges do you suppose are registered to guys named Pete who live in your suburb?

May I just recommend that you remove your town information from your profile for a while?

I feel your pain, and I don't want there to be any follow-up.

twist