Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Uhmm.....if you want more attendee's to come to CAPP, ADVERTISE!!! I'll advertise for you if you send me the details and stuff. Ask Hunter who owns "Protegetech.com", he said he'd advertise for MAPP II but it was too late by the time i told him about it. Oh and I don't know if you were kidding about making a "Protege Owners Club" but that exact same name just started a month ago located here: http://www.protegeclub.com That is where i got a few more people to attend MAPP II and there were a few people in the Chicago region talking about getting a meet going. Also try posting it on the protegetech yahoo group, there are a LOT of people on that.

If you want me to advertise for your meet, send me the details at groharlem@hotmail.com I'm sure you could get at least 10 people to go (i'm hoping) if you advertise on the protege forums.

BTW: props for what u did to that deville...that [non-permissible content removed] had it coming :)

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    You're welcome. Now stop being so paranoid.

Meade
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Meade- Maybe that's possible, but based on the description of the damage by Pete, I would be truly surprised if he didn't realize that he'd smacked the car next to him.

Probably, like somebody already suggested, he saw Pete waiting for him, and decided to check out the Blue Light Special one more time.

Steve
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Also, off the previous subject. I wanted to thank you for your hard work in organizing the MAPP II. I think everyone who attended had a good time. Speaking of which, you mentioned you'd done something to your license plate frame to keep it from rattling. What was it again, just rubber bushings of some sort?

Steve
    That license plate rattle fix really was a no-brainer. The problem is, since the plate is attached to the car only by the top, the bottom is left to hang right against the trunk lid and vibrate annoyingly every time you shut the trunk, turn up the bass (just stock sound system here, guys, OK?), or even hit a big enough bump!

Solution: Go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, Trak Auto, Advance, NAPA, hell, most anyplace that sells car accessory stuff. Then go to that part of the store that we *REAL* car buffs never visit -- that place where they have cheap stick-on mirrors, compasses that pick their own direction, magnetic key safes, aftermarket coin holders, pina colada air fresheners, etc. -- YOU KNOW the area I'm talking about.

Pick yourself up a pair of black NYLON license plate bolts and nuts. They're cheap (if you pay 2 bucks you've probably paid too much) and the bolts are maybe 3/4 of an inch long, if that. Remove your rear plate and attach these things, nuts included, to the BOTTOM two holes of your plate. Then re-attach your plate (or should I say, "Installation is the reverse of removal"). The additional length of nylon bolt that protrudes through the nut will now serve as a standoff, holding the bottom edge of your plate away from the car just enough to keep tension against the trunk lid -- but not enough tension to hurt the lid, especially since the nuts are nylon. Now your trunk won't TWAAANNNGGGG when you shut it!

You can *just* make out those nuts (for placement purposes) in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/media/specialty/meade00_rear.jpg

By the way, I originally did this high-tech ;-) mod to keep my license plate frame from rattling. Little did I know it wasn't the plate frame that was rattling -- it was the plate against the car itself. This solved both problems!

Meade

• This is a first: My MP3 needs the clutch adjusted! I told the service department at 1500 miles (first service) that I thought the clutch was not adjusted correctly and they didn't adjust it then. Now the clutch is engaging at the very top of the pedal travel. Is this normal on the Protege?

Shiftless in Suburbia

P.S. ...and no it's not due to holeshots at every stoplight, or even every other one!
    My 2000 ES is my third Protege, and my second 5-speed. My 2000 just flipped 27,000 miles and is doing fine. My 1992 went 83,000 miles with no clutch abnormalities.

I'd take your service department to task on your complaint, if I were you. The Protege's clutch is hydraulic and is self-adjusting, so they shouldn't have to adjust anything as it wears. If it's out of whack in its travel now, it was out of whack when you bought the car and they need to adjust it.

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    OK, folks, need some advice...

Kind of crunched up my tailpipe this morning getting out of my very tight apt. building garage...backed into some concrete (curb?) at a not-so-slow speed.

Probably needs to be replaced.

So the question is, go to the dealer (many miles away), or the goofy body shop (3 blocks away, but not to familiar with Mazdas)?

Should I demand OEM, or is aftermarket OK? How much you think this will run me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. to Pete:
    Totally understand your frustration with the dent...yesterday, I was parked in the last legal spot from the corner on a city street. Jeep Grand Cherokee decides to pull in behind me, somehow thinking that if he got REAL close to me, that would somehow make him legal as well. Result: I tore up my bumper on his license plate holder trying to get out. [maybe I should just never drive in reverse, right? :)]
    Ouch! Sounds like one of those weeks you should've stayed home and watched the soaps. We all have 'em! My condolences!

We, the enlightened fellow owners of the Protege Posse, need more information. Did you damage just the end of the pipe (it's a chrome cover, not really part of the pipe), or did you do worse -- such as jam the end of the pipe into the muffler, or dent the muffler, or EVEN WORSE, push the entire exhaust system out of whack?

Meade
    ...those are very good questions, and now I'm REALLY going to have to display my ignorance. Please remember that I never even owned a car until a few months ago...

The outer cover part seems to be dented a little bit into the inner part, although not so much as to completely close the whole thing up...really just the shape of the opening is changed a little.

As far as jamming things into the muffler, or knocking the whole exhaust out of whack, I really don't know. It did sound a little louder to me on my way to work this morning :( What would I be looking for to see if this happened?

And thank you for your quick response! You must be working hard, just like me :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I'd have the dealer look at it, just to be on the safe side. You don't have to commit to doing the work there.

What concerns me is the change in the sound. It indicates something has changed further up from the tailpipe (and could've created a leak in the system, which may lead to exhaust gases getting into the cabin). Minor crimping of the tailpipe shouldn't have changed the exhaust note or sound level that you'd notice it.
    Yikes!!

Okay, windows down until I get it to the dealer.

Thanks for the warning.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    IDEAS tonight! Meade in particular. That twanging license plate, I've been bothered by that too on most cars I have owned. Try those self-sticking pyramid-type rubber pads sold at K-Mart and Wal-Mart in the picture or household area. They work too on the back of the plate.

Pete--I feel your pain. Know how you felt and I have had bad urges to cut valve stems or punkture tires (all four) with an ice pick, many times. Of course, I would leave a note on the offenders windshild: "Calling a wrecker won't cost you as much as repairing the dent and painting my door. See ya!"

Usually, at Wal-Mart, I park way out and if another driver parks too close to my car, I move it farther out where employees park. That usually works and the excercise is good for me. Look for the most empty part of the parking lot. Wait a few minutes to see who comes in and if they park next to you. Some drivers have to have a car next to them to judge the painted lines marking the ends of the spaces. Anybody THAT DUMB is going to hit your car.

fowler3
  • isellhondas "Inconsiderate Buyers" Oct 10, 2001 2:30pm

Just to show you I'm not the only "paranoid" one on Town Hall. At least one leading citizen also thinks discretion is a virtue in here.

twist

(not paranoid, just recommending common sense, especially now that I know I can get a map to Meade's front door knowing nothing other than his Town Hall screen name)
  • Sorry about your car. I'd probably do the same in your situation - there are waaayyy too many ignorant people in this world that need to be taught a lesson or two. I'm surprised I've actually made it two years with NO door dings on my car. The only blemishes it has are some mysterious scratches by the rear left wheelwell and a scratch on the bumper that where my fahter backed it into a pole :( Hardly noticeable though!

Oh and Larry, how's the work coming on your Protege in the body shop? Have they fixed it up like it was before that stupid deer hit your car?
  • I run Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic oil in my car since it hit 10K miles. As a matter of fact, I just changed the oil yesterday. I think synthetic does have its advantages, it runs noticeably smoother than before and when the engine is not warmed up yet it sounds better.
    Come on over! I'd love to show you the car. Just call first. My home phone number is (202) 456-1414.

Meade
  • meade is President of the United States!

Can we end this now?

Pete can decide for himself what to do, as have we.

twist
  • krotinekrotine Posts: 93
    i'm still working on uploading the pics to my site, as of now i have the group pic and the "hotel" where we stayed overnight...

http://www.krotine.com

krotine

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I wanted to do the same on my Pro (use Mobil 1), but the dealer suggested that it would be too expensive since to keep the warranty "on", the oil filter would have to be changed every 8000km (regular Mazda Canada svc. intevals). This would mean that I would loose oil when changing the filter, which would have to be replaced. At a cost of $7-8 Cdn per litre, this is a more expensive option than to do the regular svc intervals and complement it 4000kn in between with a home-done oil change but with Mazda factory filter and Castrol GTX. So that`s what I am doing now:

4000km=home oil change with Mazda OEM filter and Castrol GTX

8 000 km=regular Mazda service done at dealer
    12 000 km=home
    16 000 km=dealer
    etc...

Hope this helps.

Dinu