Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• I didn't say the echo was easier to modify than the protege. I'm pretty sure the protege has a bigger aftermarket right now since it's been out for over a year longer than the echo. What i meant was the echo is MUCH lighter than the protege...something like 500-600 lbs lighter. The motor that comes with it stock accelrates quicker than a protege, but the car does have that "love it/hate it" styling. I would love to modify one just b/c not many people would. I like a challenge, and the echo isn't all that bad looking of a car. Just imagine it lowered with 17" wheels, and it'll look MUCH better ;).

Since i can't fund paying $13k for a echo right now, i'm going to buy a Ford Festiva and put a few engine mods and exterior mods on it and use it for a daily driver while My protege is getting its BP-TE motor swap performed ;)

Don't laugh, the festiva weighs 1700 lbs....comes with a 1.3 liter 63 horsepower motor and still accelerates 0-60 mph in 9.8 seconds......all while getting 37/48 gas mileage and costing $1000 or less. (thats why i'm doing it really...heheh, i'm only 19 and hardly make any morney :( )
  • Here is the link to that pic I was talking about. It is the wagon version. Tell me what you think. I really like it.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/guest/newnews/openpic.php3?f=media/1-2456.jpeg&w=738&h=382

• EWW!! I don't like that at all. the front is all big looking like an SUV and the rear reminds me of the new RX8. I REALLY HOPE they don't use that concept to replace the protege.

It looks like a Focus/Axiom on crack lol
  • Geez.

On the Echo, my fiance loves it but only if it has the fender flares...I don't really care for the looks of it or the center mounted gauges. And once you put some decent options on it you are in and around Civic and Protege territory, which to me are 2 much better cars.

So far my Pro has 3500 mile...she just had her first oil change with Castrol Synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. It may be my imagination but she seems to run a little smoother.

One problem, I seem to be going through some kind of Honda withdrawal. I would kill to have my Accord back about right now :( But it will pass... I hope. With the depreciation on this car it's a bit early to start wanting another car :( But on the plus side it drives great and after the recent wash I was staring out of my window to look at it :)
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    Go out of town and the board explodes...

I'll answer the poll, trying to contain to the original three reasons, taking the car class as a given and in no particular order:

(1) Rear seat space. The Corolla loses badly here, and this eliminates other competitors like the Jetta.

(2) Reliability. This and #1 means there are two cars left: Civic and Pro.

(3) Handling/styling. Pro wins easily over Civic there, so it wins overall. Simple...
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Does remind me too of Lexus styling, which is not to say that it's the worst thing in the world; Echo-type styling would be. NOT a fan of that car at all. The pic looks good; like the big rims and low profile tires and the front appearance, but I think the back triangle-shaped window should be extended to follow the back contour towards the hatch. I like it!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Uh...yuck.

Looks like a locomotive steam engine. Hints at lots of straight-line power, no manueverability.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    That wagon concept is hideous, although, I have seen worse.

Makes me wonder if there's a "mole" within the design works. I think the same of Cadillac's recent concept vehicles.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Well, that new Mazda is the SHOE that goes in the shoebox! Add a few laces to the roof rack, a big ol' tongue lapping up the windshield and a Nike "swoosh" on the side, and you've got a large, wheeled track shoe!

Meade
  • My fiance worships that Protege5. He tried to talk me into buying one when I bought my Protege but not only was it not available with the 0.0% they didn't have a silver 5-speed with a roof. He says that he is going to buy one when they go down to 0.0% interest. Probably trade my car and keep his Civic and LS.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    which is a better clue to what the next Protegé may look like, see this URL. It's in Spanish. Click under the picture -- Galleria -- for more photos and interior pics of dash. Really cool.

http://www.elmundomotor.com/elmundomotor/2001/10/16/coches/1003262288.html

The link you all are talking about is the European version.

fowler3

• ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2001_tokyo/

A bunch more pix of new Mazda vehicles, including the 6 (or Altenza).

There are also editorial comments at
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv? port_code=autoweek&cat_code=autoshows&loc_code=index&content_code=03460216
    (ummm - that link didn't post correctly - word too long - manually cut and paste the text into your browser to read it)
    The RX-8 looks decidedly retro from that profile.

Also, they made a mistake spelling the wagon's name - it should be Hideous, not Hideout!

Lots of pretty ugly vehicles among those photographs - make the Echo look like a work of art in comparison!

As for the Protege Wagon photo someone posted, it looks like it was faked in Photoshop, strange background and didproportionate front and rear seating areas - judging from the door designs!

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I had to run across town at lunch and stopped by Richmond's OTHER Mazda dealer. They had a yellow MP3 AND a yellow P5 on display. Drool, drool, drool! I was surprised to see a Protege, for the first time in my life, exceed $20,000. (They had a bunch of "port-installed options" on the P5, plus it had all the normal options too, and it was about $20,600! Whew!)

I picked up a 2002 P5 brochure for the wife. We'll probably be buying one next year -- looks fun!

Meade
  • magillamagilla Posts: 75
    Love the picture that panamaltd2 posted of the proposed proto wagon. Very cool. I guess each to his own. I'd buy that in a second if the pricing weren't much different. Now, on the other hand, the pic that fowler3 posted ... doesn't that picture say 626 above it? Unless I'm using my grandfather's eyes, how can that be the new proto? Bring on that wagon!!!
  • This is just a follow up on the post of the new Pro wagon I put up. I have heard reports saying the next Pro will have very "emotional" styling. I think the styling might be a nicer in sedan version. The front is my favorite part though. Has quite a presence.
  • That is the next 626 which Mazda has decided to rename the Mazda 6. Pretty cool huh?!
  • etrastetrast Posts: 9
    I am considering installing a aftermarket mp3/cd receiver in my 2001 pro ES. HAs anybody tried to install it on their own ? If so, how difficult is it? This is my first attempt in something like this. Also any recommendations for the receiver (Considering AIWA and Kenwood)
    Thanks
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    I'd recommend using cructhfield.com. They send out detailed descriptions of the removal and installation procedure for head units specific to your car, and provide free tech support on the phone (I was speaking to one of the tech support guys WHILE installing my CD changer in the trunk - which is certainly a superset of the task ahead of you)

And crutchfield includes all wires, harnesses and (sometimes at no extra cost) adapters you need to make your removal and installation a simple plug out, plug in process.

Do it yourself, it'll save you about $40!

As for brands, the Kenwoods are rated among the best, but also consider factors like wattage, number of pre-outs (to connect amps etc), CDRW compatibility, CD Text, 80 minute CD compatibility, ability and method to scan through tracks, ID2 and ID3 (mp3 filename details) compatibility, and ability of the head unit to act as a CD changer controller, for CD changers of the same brand. Then consider which brand has CD changers available that you might like to buy (for a future upgrade).

There are reviews of many car audio products at epinions.com and carreview.com. Take a look at them too.

Here is the link to the crutchfield in dash mp3 CD player page http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-LGt2fp3JnWK/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=62700&s=0

You can specify you vehicle and the web page will be filtered to include the ones athat can be installed easily with no wiring modifications, or just call crutchfield and ask them!

I'd recommend Sony, Panasonic, JVC, or kenwood if you want to add a good changer in the future.

Post a report about the installation and your pick here or in the Accessories and modifications board for Mazda Proteges! Good luck!

• I just discovered my first door ding! I'm pissed! I was washing my car and lo and behold there this crease in the sheetmetal under my driver's side mirror!!! It's along the character line too, which will make it even more difficult to remove! I think I'll try that Dent Wizard company, how much does it run to get a ding removed?

I guess my luck ran out...I guess having the car for two years w/o a door ding was pretty good, now I just need to be even MORE careful...bastards!
  • I think Gro has the JVC SH-99 MP3 CD player in his car. On Crutchfield they sell it for $399, but I've seen it at Sears for $299. Not a bad deal if you ask me.