Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Never had a grinding noise coming from the engine. On really cold mornings, my engine may sound a little rough when it first starts, but never grinds! That doesn't sound good....Does it do it every time you start in the morning?
  • Every time ... It's sort of like something rattling in there.
    Have you checked under the hood when you start it? Maybe a belt that needs tightening is rattling?
  • Let me correct that....before it would just happen occasionally, maybe once a week or longer. Now it seems to happen every time I start moving in the morning.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Did you call your service rep?

-Larry
  • Eveything seems to be in order under there. Guess it's time for a trip to the dealer :(
  • no not yet, at first I thought that maybe it was a characteristic of the engine but it's getting worse. These little things have me questioning how long I want to keep this car :(
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Is that all it takes to worry you? An insignificant part that doesn't leave you stranded? you must have amazing luck with cars.

BTW, I could never turn TGI Friday's coupons. You might just figure out who I am after all.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    my 00 ES's engine sounds rough on cold mornings in the same rev band you described as well. But I wouldn't call it 'grinding', and it goes away after the engine warms up to normal operating temperature. Does the noise in your engine go away after the engine warms up?

Check with the dealer just so you feel better about it, but I bet they'll describe it as 'normal engine characteristic'...
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Zoom x 2: Yep! That 6 looks good! Why wouldn;t they name it Atenza here too? I like Atenza.

Engine is rough for about 3 minutes after I drive it in the morning. When it's really warmed up, the power also improves. In my experience, it's with all cars that you get more power when the engine and components are warmed up.

Door rattle: Haven't got one.

Dinu
    Check the 626 Problems board! They mention "valve ticking" when cold that goes away in a few mins. They're suggesting synthetic oil solves it or change with reg oil more often. I do it at 2500 miles and it still does ot sometimes, so I will try synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1.

That 626 problems board is great if you wanna appreciate how good the PROs are. Still a Mazda, but what a POC.

Dinu
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Go have a look at the Tribute topic! Ah, good ol' Ford ...

Meade
    Been there. Hopefully the 6 will be Mazda not Ford. I really don't trust that company at all. Seems like every week in our paper ine of their vehicles is reported with mass complaints or recalls...
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I'm not sure who designed the 6, but it's being built in Flat Rock, Mich.
  • duh_sterduh_ster Posts: 102
    i tried starting the car this morning and it wouldn't turn over!! i had to hold the key turned for about 10 secs b4 it started up! this is the second time this has happened! anybody know what this could be caused by? it wasn't particularly cold today, and it's started fine on days 5x colder than today! (and no, i did not leave any electricals running last night)...
    'duh'
    ... but built, as you say Sporin, in Michigan. Scroll up to the links I posted this morning from Mazda's website.

Meade
    ... the first thing I'd suspect is the battery. How old's the car? Cold weather tends to spell death for weak batteries.

Do you have one of those little "windows" in your battery? If so, it should be green -- if it's clear or red, time for a new batt'ry!

Meade
  • duh_sterduh_ster Posts: 102
    ...the car is about 5 months old!! if it's the battery, then i must be running on a 9 V...:P
    'duh'
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    go to the 6 forum on here for more info, but here's a tidbit.

engines:
    2.3 mazda designed, ford built
    3.0 ford duratech with VVT

Trans:
    Mazda 5spd M/T
    Jatco 5spd A/T

Assembly:
    AAI plant in flat rock, MI Current home to the 626/Cougar
    No idea man. Mine has started fine for me, so you're right, I don't think it's the weather either. I'd definitely call Northhill and ask them about it.
    If I have mine outside in the cold for a few good hours, I ***NEED*** to turn off all components (radio, heat, defrost, etc) and then crank it. It always started this way w/out a pron. On the other hand I tried to start it with the radio and heater on at "2" and after 3-4 secs, I stopped, turned them all off, then it started.

Dinu
    Good discussion on that Speed Ch. board. I still don't see the appeal of NASCAR...

Dinu
    Oh well, so much for good ol' born-'n-bred Mazda. Another one bites the dust.

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    Gotta start an argument somewhere!

Isn't that what internet forum's all about? :D
    Read this in the Integra -vs- RSX - vs- Celica board:

""I just read this in the NY Times:

"The only MP3's for sale these days are used ones.
    But those willing to wait will soon get another chance to buy this car, or one much like it, in a Mazda showroom. Impressed by customers' enthusiasm — and by reviewers' disappointment in the lack of power — Mazda has decided to produce a new version that it will unveil this spring, perhaps at the New York auto show next month. The car will get a new name and, praise the engineers, a turbocharger to give the engine enough juice to match the suspension.

No word yet on how much more the MP3's successor will cost than the $18,500 Mazda charged for the 2002 model. But in light of the traffic jam among under-$20,000 performance cars — think of the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, Honda Civic Si, Ford SVT Focus, Dodge Neon R/T, Toyota Matrix XRS and Pontiac Vibe GT — a big price increase probably isn't in the tea leaves."

The MP3 outslalomed a Ferrari 360 Spider and Corvettet ZO6, give it more hp and the car quite possibly jumps up to the top of my list in this price class!""

Did the MP3 outslalom the 360 Spider an Chevette (I know it's a Corvette)?

Hank: It's a good argument though...

Dinu
  • narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    I think it might have in that car & driver comparo. It was really low on power, but it still won because of it's overall handling prowess and ride.

I too have that cold start hesitation. After cold starts, the car will hesitate around 3000 rpm, but the hesitation is gone after the engine is warm. It's annoying. I think it's a feature of the newer Mazda engines, cause my 93 mx6 2.0L doesn't do that.

Another question I had was re: manual trans fluid changes. How often should that be done? Is it necessary? My MX6 shifts pretty poorly compared to the Protege ES (of course the MX6 has 128k mi on it), but I can sometimes feel gear grinding thru the gearshift as I move thru the gates.
    Apparently you don't need to do it.

BUT, when I'll buy my used MX-3 in 5 spd in June, I will change the tranny oil, along with the coolant, check the brakes and brake fluid, rotate tires, etc...

Now I'm not 100% sure, but I did hear that changinf the tranny oil on a high mileage car that was never changed before can actually DAMAGE the tranny. Particles and oil that "host" the gears build a strong glue-like residue over time that prevents leaks, etc. So it might not be a good idea to disrupt that "sludge" if the tranny oil change was not done at regular intervals.

Q: Am I right, or way off?

What about an auto tranny? When would you change it?

Dinu
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Yes, it did, according to Road and Track's slalom times, anyway. They did a piece on under $25,000 sport cars in which, in addition to mentioning that tidbit, they refer to the MP3 as being the best sports car bargain available in the US today.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    And in a Motor Trend test, the P5 actually out-slalomed the MP3!
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    That's only on automatics. You want to be careful if you change the fluid on an automatic that has high mileage and it has never been done. It doesn't matter with a manual.