Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    I never turn off my radio or heat or anything, and I've never had a problem starting my 01 ES. I suppose it might make a difference if its very very cold outside. I would guess that it might be the starter though. I would have it checked out.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    >>>>If you examine the leading/front edge of the spoiler you'll see its all flat, maybe 3/16"-1/4".
    Therefore it couldn't produce any lift/down force since all flow across the surface would be drag, i.e. turbulent, not laminar flow. <<<<

a SPOILER does what it name implies.
    It SPOILS the smooth flow of the air over the rear trunk area.
    A smooth flow of air would produce a lifting effect viz. the rear of the car will feel less planted on the road. In short, the spoilers job is to improve the contact between the rear tires and the road by SPOILING the smooth air flow.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    So the air crossing it would tend to push the trunk downward. So maybe it does have SOME function, even if nothing else than to keep the trunk closed if you left it open!

Meade
    Glad I am not the only one who felt that the "steering wheel" was not as tight at 80+ as it is at 65mph.

After lots of pondering, I believe this is caused due to the "toe-in" of the front wheels opening out with such high forces acting on it at that speed.

But the car steers great if you DO NOT try to grasp the steering wheel tightly.....just hold it lighty at those speeds ( i know it's supposed to be otherwise) and the car within itself does not seem to lose composure...it tracks straight and even.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    When I open the trunk lid (with the pull-handle inside my Pro), the lid does not spring up as it does in my Cavalier. Guess it must be due to the downforce of the "spoiler".
  • for most of the trip I was doing about 140kph but for the part when you get out of Quebec upto about Brockville, it was closer to 160. That was 4 years ago. Whould not do that now, cops are watching speeders alot more over the past few years.
  • aerodynamics is an important part of car design. Unfortunately, one can't predict how modifications or add-ons will effect things w/o wind-tunnel testing [or at least seat of the pants experience. Effects are highly speed dependent. A spoiler that looks like it should decrease uplift might only work at very high speed, or may not work at all. Sometimes, manufacturers will offer designs because buyers like the way they look, regardless of functionality.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    I have a 2001 ES with 7500mi and the Dunlop sport 5000's. There's an uneven stretch of highway on my commute .The PRO is the only car of the 3 that I own (including an 82 Jetta Diesel) that makes me bob up and down like a bottle in the ocean on this stretch. I'm doing around 60 usually. I know this car has a sport suspension and is built for handling etc. but I'm still trying to reconcile what that is supposed to give up in terms of a ride. Since I have never driven any of the other manufacturer's compacts of recent model years I don't know how to evaluate the PRO in this respect. Can we not have a car that has a sport suspension which damps out road bumps more quickly? I know many on this board have stated that the PRO does have a somewhat stiff ride, but I don't know how that compares with others. I don't like a car with a dead steering feel but I don't want to feel bumps either. Are these two opposing requirements?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Just saw an emerald green, gen3 Protege with GOLD badging...nameplate, Mazda logo, flying M....

Only saw it from behind, so couldn't see if there were any other gold accents...

Anybody else ever see this???
    ... electroplated in gold (real gold, mind you!) by a lot of aftermarket shops. I've seen them at my Mazda dealer, doing it to a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I have no idea how much it costs.

Meade
    my dealer offered this to me..the GOLD package....but for $250...I might have taken it..
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    A Protege with the dreaded gold trim-itis?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    even I experience this on the NJ turnpike... couple of miles...
    But I guess one cannot have a luxurious ride + sports suspension with $15,000.

upgrade to a merc or bimmer maybe the only option
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Alex,

While I would not describe the movements of the Protege's suspension over uneven pavement as bobbing, it does not absorb the irregularities of the road in the same way as, say, an 82 Jetta Diesel. However, I prefer it to the undulatory motions of a large Buick any day. Essentially, no you can't have a Lexus like highway ride without sacrificing the ability to corner flatly, at least not without spending a lot more money than Proteges cost. Sporty suspensions are firm, and luxury suspensions are soft. In the middle is what is called "touring" which is what most people consider a happy medium. I would put the Jetta in this category, especially modern ones, even with their sport suspensions. The Protege has always had a slightly sportier suspension. With the 2001+ ES, it has actually become firm enough to be considered harsh by some people. If you really feel like you are bobbing like a Buick, I would have your suspension checked out. Also, make sure your tire pressure is 32psi cold. The Protege should have more sharply defined movements. You shouldn't bob more than once or 1 1/2 times.
    There's an uneven stretch of highway on my commute and my 2001ES (7500mi, original Dunlops) will bob like a bottle on the ocean over this stretch. It's very noticeable .I'm usually doing about 60-65. None of my other cars incl. an 82 Jetta has this much movement on the same stretch of road. I didn't drive any of the competition before buying the PRO and I don't really know what a sporty suspension is supposed to give up. Is good handling incompatible with good damping of road bumps?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They must be some pretty hard bumps, because mine never bobbed. And you think the Protege hits bumps hard? Try a Jetta with Sport suspension and 17-inch tires. It's really harsh sometimes.
    I didn't see my first post, so thinking there was a problem posted again. I'll have to go over this stretch again with my Jetta and the Sable. It only happens on this section. I love the way the PRO tracks the road and would not want to give that up but there's a struggle in my mind whether I should have not gone with another Jetta. I didn't mainly because of the recent reliability issues. I haven't driven any of the new Jettas.
    "Quick crisp bounces" -- LOL!!!

No offense -- it just sounds funny when someone tries to describe such a subjective problem! It's like hearing someone trying to describe a noise their furnace is making or something.

Has anyone asked the guy how his shocks are doing?

Meade
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    I agree with Pat the host. Let's call the Honda vs. Protege debate a stalemate and stop debating ad nauseum about the relative merits or demerits of each car. A little discussion is good, this was getting too much.

The real point is that most people here love their Pro's. Some here may have owned Honda's and are not as impressed with them as you are. This is not a bad thing. As I mentioned, I have owned Honda's and have had great experiences with the vehicles. I have also had great experiences with Mazda.

I think what is starting to irk some people, and certainly myself, was that you were taking almost every opportunity to say how you thought Honda was better than Mazda. If this is your opinion, then good, just don't constantly go out of your way to point it out. Not everyone agrees with you so let it go. Essentially, it became like a broken record. I think I am almost intimate with your boyfriends 1993 Civic now. Great year for Civics by the way...:)

Anyway, you have a lot to contribute and have done so on most opportunities. Just try and keep the Honda this, and Honda that, to a minimum. You have my apologies in adance if i have offended in any way.
    Yah, i really struggled with how to phrase it...

That was the best i could come up with on short notice. I did mention the shocks. Just thought he may have been describing a condition which is quite normal for the car, but that his old "subjective" interpretation thought maybe there was a problem.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Definitely get your shocks/springs checked, and I wouldn't have too much buyer's remorse about getting a Protege instead of a Jetta, but Paul may disagree...
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Everyone picks the car that they are happy with. Sometimes, they just don't pick it right the first time. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Paul, are you actually saying the Pro is a cheap impersonation of the Jetta?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Thanks for the nice synopsis. No car will satisfy everyone. And sometimes, not any ONE car will satisfy a person. :)

Get one that fits you and your desires/needs.
    then why didn't you actually buy the Audi A4 version. Isn't the Jetta just the cheap impersonation of the Audi A4 since both are based on the exact same platform...

Just yanking your chain... :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    That last sentence was a cheap shot! I refuse to jump into a debate on Protege vs. Jetta though. I think we are all sick of defending our car for this week! It's Friday, so let's just let the good times roll!
    Keep Rollin, Rollin', Rollin'.....!!!! :)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I'm ready to call it a week...

Anybody for suds and darts?