Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    It's the highway, fairly recently paved mind you, but it must be uneven. Yes it's 'quick crisp bounces' LOL - no swaying. By the way, I had my tires at 32, then the dealer put it back at 35 when I took it in for an align. said it would wear longer. Does any one have a recommendation for an accurate tire pressure gauge? I can get different readings with the ones I own. The local Firestone dealer said his electronic gauge cost a 100 bucks and it was accurate. Can I get a cheap gauge that is accurate within 1/4 psi?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    what are you maltb, on west coast time?

oh wait, you are...... nevermind....
  • I am not complaining that the suspension is too stiff, that is what I have my 84 z51 vette to complain about. All my mechanical sense is that it is just something that I will have to get used to. But, I will have the dealer look at it when they check out why the airbag light is on.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Just to keep us on the straight and narrow... :-)

The current A4 is based on an all new platform refered to as the "B6."

The previous generation A4 was based on a shortened version of the "B5" platform which also carried the Audi A6 and the VW Passat.

Here's where it get's confusing... the Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Audi TT, S3 A3, and various Scoda's and Seats are all built off the corporate "A4" platform. "A4" the platform has nothing to do with "A4" the car.
  • I'm thinking about buying a Pro ES in the next few months. I drove it the other day and I found it has everything I need. I need to know how you owners feel about the reliablity, cost of ownership, long term seat comfort and overall satisfaction. Also, is the automatic tranny a Mazda design or is it the unreliable Ford unit used on the 626? Thanks to all who respond.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    where are you? tell mikey why the Pro is such a good choice.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Okay, thanks for explaining that to me...

Although, that still doesn't explain why people would want to do that to their perfectly nice Proteges...

And of course, no offense to anyone here who has done that, considered doing that, or who have relatives with Proteges who have done that, or......:)
  • I'm replacing the fronts right now but I see the new Pioneers have one wide and one slim bayonet clip. Which one is positive? And which one negative? The box and instructions say nothing!
    I assume the red wire in the car door is positive.
    Any help is appreciated.

ROn B.
  • Aw, you guys are too much. You need to be old like me with 3 kids. Then you'd be home and on line instead of being out! I don't want to leave the car apart so I'm going to hook the red lead to the large bayonet clip on the speakers. I tried them and it worked so perhaps the side does not matter? I'll check back later and see what you all say.

Ron B.

Go Scuderia Ferrari!!!!
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    with the things I like about her car.

I like the seats, the way you sit straight up in it, the handling(more on that later), I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS, features, climate control, price (for a new car), arm rest, warranty (of course it's new) that's about all I can think of right now.

We bought it because of the looks. While it may not be MY cup of tea I like it for her. And the bobbing that you guys were talking about can be kinda annoying on some surfaces. I call it "yeah yeah right now gotta finda corner yeah yeah wheres a corner" handling. If only the engine were as good as the chassis this car would be perfect.

Oh yeah, we both love her car. What really made me look twice was someone posted something like "to keep an older car running you would be putting "car payment" type money into it every month. That's not true at all.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    some people are trying to make it seem as if I am complete "anti-Protege". I'm not or obviously I would not have purchased one. There are good aspects of the car as fxashun just said, but there are also some areas where it could be improved. It's the same with any car unless you spend upwards of $50,000.

Would I rather have a Civic? Honestly, yes sometimes (like when I see my gas hand dropping after having a little fun or just cruising at 80 on a road trip). But there are times when I am convinced the Protege is the best small car out there bar none. Would I take a NEW Civic over my car? Probably not. It does have the mechanicals down better (such as the gearbox and engine refinement) but the styling is not my favorite and since I got 0.0% on the Protege, it's just not worth it. Where it gets more difficult for me is when I compare that $4500 96 Civic EX to my car or any other Civic up to year 2000 (especially a Si but those things are holding value like crazy).

I have not said anything untrue about the Protege .. just some things that a few of you don't agree with. I have not said that it's the worst car out there or that I hate it and can't stand to look at it another day. I've just pointed out a few "opportunity areas". If I had lived with a Civic for the past 8 months I would probably have a list of "opportunity areas" for it too. In fact, I already do. But the grass is always greener on the other side of the automotive fence.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I love my Pro. It's an '01 LX 2.0 (Canadian model) with ABS, Air, and power locks. I've had it for just over 6 months now.

IIRC, the auto tranny is not the one from the 626, but I have the 5 speed manual so I can't say how well the auto works. The manual, however, is great. The handling is IMHO the best in its class.

In my personal experience and in car mag reviews, the Pro is extremely fun to drive. It definitely sticks out in its class in this regard.

Yes, the suspension is too stiff for some people. If you like mushy rides, I would look at another car. However, if you actually like driving, this is the car for you.

In terms of cost of ownership, I've only had to do regular maintenence (ie. oil changes)...however, since my car is black, I spend a ton of money trying to keep it clean!

One of the main reasons I bought this car was for reliability. Looking through Consumer Reports will show that this car is excellent in terms of long term reliability.

The seats are comfortable IMO and I have had no trouble with them. I've driven long road trips (approx. 7 hours) with only quick breaks, and I felt that the seat was very comfortable.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the Pro. Sure, it could use some more HP. However, for it's price point and the fact that it is in the "economy" class, I think the Protege is an amazing car.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your car buying decision and let us know how it goes!
  • reaglereagle Posts: 15
    Ron, do you have alarm in your car? If you do, its starter relay may be acting up and not letting you start the car..
  • The car does have the factory shock sensing alarm. I'm going to have to gring it to the dealer in the next few weeks. Time to test out their "loaner car or we rent you a car" promise. I'll mention they should check the starter and the starter relay on the alarm.

Thanks.
  • I could use your help on the rear speakers. I really wish that Edmunds had a search function. I was in the owners club and found the post you wrote about the front speakers 263, but can't find the rear deck.
  • Now I find the post only a few down from #263. I must be losing it. OK, time to tackle the rears.
  • OK, it's about 2:30 am here and I can't hook up the rear speakers. That's because I can't figure out which line is pos or neg in the rear. The stock speakers have no markings at all. The lines are the same in the cvar, one has a solid stripe on it and the other a pair of dots that are spaced about 1/4" on down the wire. I've looked at several websites that all say the solid stripe should be the pos. But I don't know if that's correct. Anyone know?

I'm going to bed and I'll check the board in the morning.

Ron B.
    I dunno Ron! Maybe a multi-meter? Sorry!
  • number42number42 Posts: 67
    Well I finally picked up my Pro. For those that might not remember, I bought a '02 LX with Moonroof, alarm, Auto and allow wheels. In the 3 days since I've had it I've already put in about 300 miles (It started with the Odo at 3 miles).

A few Comments:
    I'm noticing that if I stay even at 60mph, the tach is at a level 2600rpm. now since you guys seem to talk about much higher RPMs, I am rather confused about all this.

The handling is wonderful. In the 3 days, it has already manuevered me out of several accidents (did I mention I am also a new driver, driving in and around NYC?).

Finally a questions: Are the Mudflaps and Cargonet Accesories easy to put on (without a service visit?)
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    The mud flaps were a breeze. The cargo net required some drilling, so I would say it is slightly more difficult. The difficult part was figuring out where exactly the directions wanted you to drill. They may have improved the directions since then. I would order the accessories, and then decide whether you want to install them yourself based on how comfortable you feel with what the directions say to do.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    If you have a multi meter, you should be able to determine the positive lead easily. I am surprised that the stock speakers' inputs aren't labeled. How would manufacturing know which lead to connect?
  • Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter. But maybe this is a good time to buy one. If anyone knows about the wiring let me know. Otherwise I may buy a multimeter tonight.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 564
    The following is just my opinion, but I've had no engine trouble ever with a long succession of new cars: Please don't "keep it even at 60mph", or at any one speed for any length of time. For the first 800-1,000 miles try to stay below 60mph and vary the speed up and down, with moderate acceleration (up to 60mph) followed by a sudden lift off of the accelerator pedal. Good luck.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    What a pain in the neck catching up this morning, literally. LOL (trifocals)

All that Civic vs. Pro business was really the pits. If either side convinced the other -- what did they gain? Nothing!

dinu01 said:
    Browntrout and I don't mean it to be disrespectful, but a large # of Americans are very ignorant about anything outside of their little world that affects them directly. If they don't see it, it doesn't exist.

True, dinu01, 85% of Americans have never traveled outside of the country and many of those have no idea where states and cities are in the USA when major events happen. Many Americans have never been to other states and the less fortunate have never been out of their hometowns. Those who do travel may not be all that interested in foreign affairs, the politics of other countries are not the reason they travel.

About *bobbing* on the road: My Pro was doing that over one stretch of road I travel daily. After the tires were rotated and balanced I noticed it less. Part of the problem was the road surface which has ripples on it. But I don't notice the bobbing as much now. It's sort of a hip-hop action fore and aft as if the car's short wheelbase may be the cause. In a car with a longer wheelbase (110 inches) and softer suspension it would not be felt.

Sport suspension: To be perfectly honest, I don't like it. It has softened up somewhat and is now tollerable. But I DO like everything else about my '01 LX 2.0. I would never buy an ES nor the Pro5. Love the styling of the Pro5, don't like the interior -- never liked black and I don't like the fake metallic pieces.

I bought the Pro for it's styling and comfortable seats. If a car's seats are too firm, read cloth covered rocks, no matter how fine a car it is I walk away. Also, I like the bronze center pod. I have beige trim. I do appreciate the fact that the suspension provides the great handling.

On hard starting: I agree with dinu01 on turning off all electrical accessories. Pilots are trained to turn off all electrical devices before shutting down the engine, so the battery starts the engine the next time. I follow this procedure in my Pro so I don't get a blast of cold air in my face, and for the same reason pilots do it.

fowler3
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    The other day, my dad was driving with me and quizzed me about why I was turning everything off (fan, defrost, etc.) before turning off the ignition.

Me: "But that's what they taught us in driver ed in high school!" (to avoid hard starts)

Him: "But that was a million years ago! That's not necessary for cars these days."

Driver ed, for me, was in 1979. True, that was a million years ago...so who's right?

By the way, fowler, my driver ed teacher was a former pilot :)
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    So am I a former pilot. ;)

What that precaution really does is prevent a device from draining the battery. Say there is a short circuit somewhere you don't know about.

fowler3
    From my read of the manual in the area about the break-in, it states something to the effect of stay below 3000 rpm, varied speeds, go easy on the brakes, no sudden starts or stops, but doesn't really say anything about limiting speed.

I don't think I have even touched 3000 rpm, even at 60mph, going uphill. I do understand that the break-in period is mostly to make sure all the parts wear properly, and that the parts that are slightly off-tolerance wear themselves properly into tolerance.

Am I missing something?
    I don't remember it saying anything about starying below 3000 rpm, but what I know it says for sure is that you shouldn't stay at one constant speed for extended periods of time.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Vary your speed and stay below 3000RPMs. You know, it's really easy to do w/a 5 spd and even w/an auto (like mine). I usually have the PRO shift below 3000 in city traffic not to put too much pressure on the car. Yeah, you might think I'm a freak about it, but I LOVE this car and plan to keep it in the family for a long time. But I also switch the O/D to off and pass all those Civics, hehe! (Sorry ZZ79)

Dale: All acessories should be OFF to avoid battery strain at start-up. Remember, your battery is under a huge demand at start-up. Why reduce its life?

Ron: good luck w/the speakers. I have limited knowledge on this topic so I won't tell you where you should connect them.

Dinu
    You are right. Very easy, So far I have been very gentle with my pro (well except for that hairpin ramp at the end of the Long island Expressway that said 25mph that I seemed to be doing 45 at.... oh well, no damage, except for my wifes nerves. Gentle acceleration, minimal braking, and varied Speeds in the 40-65mph range on the highway and 10-35 on the street.

Did I mention that the Pro's handling has already saved me from a few accidents?