Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Yesterday on my way to school, I was in the right lane. A silver 99-00 PRO ES was behind me, a gold 99-00 LX in front and a 2002 on my left. You should have seen that grin :) :) :). Unfortunately, the drivers didn't look like they were REALLY appreciating their car (ie: not enthusiasts). Maybe it was all inside???

Dinu

PLEASE no more 93 Civic discussions. I don't wanna write all that's gone wrong with it again.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Funny, I thought my 1980 Saab 900 GLi was the only vehicle that made you remove the entire engine to replace the water pump! Be glad you had yours go during your warranty period -- mine went at 70,000 miles and the pump was a little over $400, and the labor to install it was about $400 as well.

(By the way, that was in 1985. I'd love to see how much it would cost today -- but of course, my luck held as usual -- the very next year, they changed the engine design and one major change was the location of the water pump -- no more engine removals.)

Meade
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    Dinu,

several thousand posts ago..when i was strictly an inactive participant, i think you mentioned you have a Cuban music CD that was burned by a few locals. My wife and i were in Cayo Coco for 2 weeks in early December. Loved the music while we were there, but have never managed to find a CD or tape that we enjoy. Any chance your offer to burn a copy still holds. I'd be willing to trade great jokes if that helps... :)

Anyway, let me know and maybe we can arrange a deal. I'd burn you some music too but i don't have a CD writer...
    Sounds like it's time to turn on our "Off-Topic Police" searchlight, Batman!!!

;-)

Meade
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They had to take the whole engine out to replace the water pump??? Looks like an extended warranty will be in my future... :)
    That was hilarious!!!! :) I love it!
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Well, the Jetta I had did have a 10yr/100k powertrain warranty, so the water pump was not my main concern. My main concern was spending so much time in the shop while I was paying so much for the car. I guess I don't know for sure that they HAD to remove the engine to get to the water pump, but I watched them do it - for whatever reason. At least they let me watch...
    sound is essential for that link. I crack up every time listening to the sound effects for the Honda......ha, ha...LMFAS. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Has to be that Civic's engine from that link!! Hahahahahaaha!
    I didn't turn the sound on at work on my PC. I will have to listen to it with sound when everyone leaves this evening around 6pm or so. I can't wait to hear it now. :)
    If you loved it without sound, you will be on the floor listening to it with sound. There is nothing rude in it. Turn it up a little and try it at work. Turn it up loud when at home. I am laughing soooooo hard here!!!!
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    No wonder the Civic lost, he was driving sideways! He must have had the 4 wheel steering option from the J-SPEC Civic ;-)
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    When I can't ramble on why I love it so much. Especially now that it's all clean and shiny from the bath I gave it yesterday.
    HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

I just watched it three times in a row!!!!

Meade
    HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! I was going to attempt the engine translation but didn't dare.... you got it perfect!

FXASHUN,

NO!!!!! I hope it looks nice though. :)
    Gonna wash her Pro today. That black sure looks good with shiny wheels. Wish I coulda downloaded that link. I have flash and everything it just won't work.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    If you are worried about the corrosive properties of SOME GL-5 oil, either go with synthetic or carefully pick your oil.

Here is one that claims to be non-corrosive:

http://www.imperialoil.com/pds/gearls.htm

Some days are busier than others and arguing that big brakes work better than small ones was higher on my priority list. That and the toilets were filthy.

My 2001 Protege ES was black as well. The color is hard as heck to keep clean, but looks fabulous when it's nice and clean and shining. Definitely breathtaking. :)
    We watched that link finally....
    HILARIOUS!!!!!!
    To Galdalf:
    Zoom said that the sad part is the animation isn't complete. After the Civic and a turtle a Protege went by. Actually I wish she had posted this under her name.
    Can you save that cartoon?
    Another reason we bought it.
    My wife's 2000 PRO is black as well. So is my REX.

Black just looks the best clean....it's keeping it that way that's such a friggin' pain... A good wax helps.
    I'm offended by that link. I can kill a base model GTI since they only come with a 115 hp. Heck a Protege can take out a base GTI.

Bdda bdda bddbda dmmdmmdmmdm spit.<---My exhaust.
    I can't believe I just had to go back FORTY-FOUR messages to find one you posted this morning!!! Anyway, you were talking about having found only two TSBs for your 2001 Protege on Edmunds. Well, maybe Edmunds picks and chooses which ones it wants to publish ... because while there aren't that many (no more than 10 or so), there ARE more. For the REAL scoop on TSBs, check on NHTSA's site at www.nhtsa.gov, go to "Problems and Issues," and enter the appropriate info for your car. You can also search for recalls, government defect investigations and (my favorite) customer complaints on any car.

Have fun!

Meade
    (My exhaust.)

;-)

Meade
    I can tell where your finger's pointing!!!

(And I hoped you washed it after playing in the commode!)

:-o

Meade

P.S. I don't think it was "big brakes vs. small ones." I think it was disc brakes vs. drum brakes. I forgot ... which is better?

OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Someone needs to get their facts straight. The GTI comes with the famed 1.8T engine standard. It has 180hp and can be chipped up to 210hp very easily. I have stomped many a Civic who thought they could handle my 1.8T Tiptronic automatic Jetta. Don't be fooled just because it has 4 doors. :)
    Why are we discussing Civics and Jettas here? THIS IS THE MAZDA PROTEGE TOPIC!!!

Paul, I thought we agreed to keep our car conversations in their respective topics ... ?

Meade
    But it was okay to post the Flash that everyone was laughing at, even though it was a VW flash, right?? :)
    I just thought of something that might help you with your Coke stain. They have that stuff called Oxy-Clean. That takes anything, and I mean anything, out. You could try some of that. You get power form, dilute it with water, soak the atain, scrub, and let sit. You can get it at Wal-Mart or something like that. It's like $6 or something, I think. Good luck.