Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    As of tonight, there are 40 confirmed Proteges that will show up for MAPP IV. With still 3 weeks before the meet, we might get yet more signups as people clarify and open up their schedules!

this may end up being, by far, THE BIGGEST Protege enthusiast meet, EVER, in the US....

check it out if you haven't done so already!

http://www.protegenetwork.org/chapters/DC/mapp4.htm

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I removed the ES sticker from the sides of my 02 Pro. I don't like those stickers. I think they look cheap. Anyway, they came off easily, in one piece, after peeling back a corner. The sticker glue came off easily using a bit of car polish.

I estimate that this "mod" adds at least 10 hp. The car feels much lighter, and therefore quicker, with better turn-in and a more balanced feels since the weight came off the front end.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    install 'v6' stickers in place of the ES.

Guaranteed to boost 20hp or ur money back ;)
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You could have also used this stuff called Goo-Gone to take off the sticky stuff. I removed the pinstripe from my ES when I had it, and used this stuff to take off the sticky stuff. It came right off pretty easily. Also, it smells like orange (if I remember correctly), so no nasty smell either.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    is excellent for removing adhesive as well, and its useful for other things as well.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    use nail polish remover to:

Fix bumper scratches/marks, remove other cars' paint from your own (door dings).

I have a Zoom-Zoom sticker I have yet to add to the top rear window of the PRO. How much HP does it add? I have tinted windows. Does that count for reducing the drag coefficient of the car? What about the chrome muffler tip? I think that's an extra 5 HP right from the factory.

Dinu
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I put 5.0L badges on my old 88' Subaru wagon. It made a WORLD of difference. Any Ford dealer has them and they aren't that much money, considering they will turn your wimpy little 4 cylinder into a thumpin' V8. If anyone has any questions on the install, e-mail me.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Stickers also add handling AND HP increases. Well worth the investment.
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Everyone knows that removing the ES sticker only adds 5hp. Furthermore, the hp gain that you get from adding the V6 sticker is in direct proportion to the the size of the sticker. I have seen Civics gain 50hp just by using stolen V6 badges from an Accord. A little known fact is that the initial affect is additive but displays satuaration kinetics. So if you steal 2 badges and put them both you can get 100hp but each additional badge yeilds diminishing returns. Now on the other hand, if you really want big hp gains you have to remove the standard spoiler and add a double "ninja" wing that sits 2-3 feet off the trunk. Thats where all the real power is. A conservative estimate of 200hp over stock is norm. But I guess everyone knows that.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    when I added the "ProtegeClub of Illinois" sticker to my back window, I noticed a definite improvement in handling.

Only problem is gas mileage goes WAY down when I cross the state line.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Be careful with the Type-R stickers. Many people don't realize that while they will increase your hp, they will DECREASE your torque output. Just something to consider before anyone takes the plunge and buys the Type-R stickers.....
    You're allowed to leave the State?
    mAd TiTe y0!
    Right...I should have said Type-R badges (not the stickers). If you can score a set of actual badges, it's as good as having the real thing.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Just go for the MP3 badges. It slows you down a bit but the sound out of your radio has never been sweeter.

Warning: Use only as directed. Some restrictions apply. May cause nausea, headaches or bloody noses. Results may vary by individual based on location, age, and hair color.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    We don't need no stinkin' badges!

(sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Now, painting the brake calipers yellow or red will reduce 60-0 stopping distances by at least 15 ft.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    if you lower your car so low that it scrapes the ground whenever you enter your driveway or a parking lot, add a skirt package to it, do the Alteeza lights on the back, change your turn signals to blue bulbs, spray paint the interior to match the exterior of your car and get a shop to engrave "V-TEC" on your engine right next to "mazda", that you're a complete moron? Eez dat ryt peeps or eez it just dat people are bitter and don't understand what maad stylz iz all about, yo?

I hear ya Hank: Dat type o'ryde is mad tyte bro!

Degeneration RULZ dee nation!

Dinu
    That's too funny that you said about painting the calipers. I painted them yellow on my black ES, and they looked pretty cool, from what everyone said.
    mah Pro iz da bomb y0

dem wings giv me MaD hAnDlInG!!!!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    What'd I miss? What's Paul driving now???

Maltb -- You're off the hook. I had a change of heart -- either that or the sun cooked my head a little at the beach.

Forty cars at MAPP IV -- wow. Still no confirmation from Larry, huh? Oh well. I was going to offer to do something nice for him, but it's too late now. Oh well Larry -- I really was asking for a reason.

Personally I'm looking forward to MAPP! I noticed you organizer guys haven't included a line for the total number in each group on the signup sheet. (40 cars and owners, yes -- but will the owners bring a friend or spouse?) I think you need a head count so you don't have half a burger and one potato chip for each person!!!

Meade
    Your Past MAPP Organizer With Some Experience
    Wil and I was just talking about that last night, we will ask everyone that signed up for a head count soon enough....

and it's still 3 weeks away! we might reach 45 before the 28th.

We gonna need A LOT of food this time!!
    There'll be only one (me) in my Protege.

Just let me know if you need anything.

Meade
    Very funny. I am driving a lowered, ready to be chipped 1.8T Bora...
    I bought a 3000GT VR-4 with about 100k miles on it for around $10k. It was in one bad accident before I got it so I got a 5 year old VR-4 for about $10k. Even now I have seen them sell for $8k. It was a fantastic deal. But did I leave well enough alone? No. Over about 3 months I put about $10k worth of mods into it. Looked pretty cool with 18s and ran like mad. I suspect while it was running it was making about 400+hp. While it was running.......I sold that car about 2 years later for what I paid minus the mods. That means I took a $10k loss. Also that same day I made a pact never to mod a car again.
    just goes to show that once you start modding your car, you're in it for the long haul (eg more than 2 years...) ....
    In 1985 I purchased a 1980 Saab 900 GLi for a song. Being the stupid 20-year-old I was, and having just inherited $5,000 from my deceased grandmother, I went out and added the following:

- Shelby wheels shod with Pirelli P8s (as if the stock alloys, which were fine, needed replacing!)
    - Rear spoiler
    - Rear louver for window
    - Saab custom-design steering wheel (yep, I was stupid)
    - Hood edge protector
    - Upgraded sound system

After buying all that stuff, the car started falling apart. In one year I had replaced the transmission, two rear main seals, part of the fuel-injection system and the rear brake rotors and calipers. Not to mention a Saab-exclusive $400 water pump (needed to remove the engine to get to it) and a $250 O2 sensor. By the time a year had gone by, I was being told I needed a new timing CHAIN since the chain in the engine was wearing a groove in the block.

If I'd saved my bucks, I would've been able to keep the car going. Instead I took a big hit in the wallet and the only car I could afford next was a 1987 Hyundai Excel with no a/c. (BTW, that car went 115,000 miles in only four years of driving for Domino's and Pizza Hut, and only had one major problem -- a tranny bearing fixed under warranty. Other problems that I associate with cars over 100,000 miles were a blown upper radiator hose, a replaced water pump and alternator, and replaced C/V joints. All in all, that Hyundai was probably the best $7,100 I ever spent. Not that I love Hyundai or anything, but that car wasn't so bad.)

Meade
    As long as you don't go crazy with the mods, then that's no big deal. I don't have $10K to do mods, so that's not a thing. I just wanted to change one or two small things about the car, like performance springs, a front strut brace, a different antenna (hey, it was cheap), and a different badge. I only spent about $200 for all this stuff (you would be surprised what you can do given the resources), so that's not too bad.

As far as the chipping is concerned, I am still in the "thinking" stages with that one. No definite answer yet. Even if I chipped and added a different exhaust, the total cost (this and the mods above) would be about $1200.

Also, the muffler that someone on here added was $350 alone (wasn't that you, Hank?). So everyone seems to want something a little different. :0
    ... a power antenna.

;-)

Meade
    not $350, the Mazdaspeed muffler was only $220. $350 sounds more like a full cat-back exhaust system from Bosal...

and get that chip already Paul! that's like the most bang for the buck for VW 1.8T's!!!
    When the crap did your Jetta become a Bora?
    don't tell me you replaced the Jetta badge witht the European Bora one!!!!!

false advertising!!!! (or that other word)....
    False advertising...I like that one. Excellent. My Pro is 100% w/out false advertising...which in itself is sad :(
    I would not. When I sell my Protege in about it will be dead stock with all records.
    Nematode: I am only doing little stuff, so I can take it with me if I decide to get rid of the car.

Big H: Yeah, I replaced the badge. It was a very inexpensive change, and I like the other badge better.
    even though it's still false advertising (similar to those that replace Proteges with Familias), I guess it's still better than those people that put Si badges onto their DX Civics...
    Kinda like those who put the Sport20 badges on their Proteges in the US...
    that's why i said it's not AS bad as the DX-to-Si badge conversion, at least under the hood they ARE virtually the same (Jetta and Bora, that is)

btw, in defense of the guy with the Sport20 badge, he does have the Japanese FS-ZE motor (170hp NA!) under the hood, so it's not false advertising per se ;-)
  • dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    I just got one of these on Saturday. I think it looks really nice. It was easy to install and now I don't have to worry about the hood getting chipped. I wish I would have got it sooner. I have 3 chips on the hood with just over 3000 miles.

P.S. The help section on posting pics is wrong. It tells you to type out source when you should only type src. After messing with it for 20 minutes I went to the picture thread and found that I wasn't supposed to type out source like it says to in the help section.

Paul had one of those on his 2001 Protege. I got to see it; it looked pretty decent.

Meade
    I still have the bra part in the trunk of my car. I lost the edging thing though. I offered to give it to someone at the "other" site, but feel bad because I can't find it now.
    Thanks to all your car-care suggestions, I took myself to Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago and bought some Meguiar's leather cleaner for my car. Last night was the first chance I got to put it on, and it looks great! If the rest of this product line is as good as this particular product is, I will be glad to use the rest of their stuff on my ride.
    I'd really like to wax the car again before MAPP IV, but now that our damned Governor has prohibited car washing statewide (yes, you read that correctly) due to the drought Virginia's in, I'm really pissed!

Meade
    They prohibited car washing in Baltimore months ago. Now you know how I feel! :) I am glad my car is white now.

I have never waxed my car yet though, I need to get on it. My dad's been on me about that too. He offered to do it too, but the car is never home and also it's not his responsibility.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Must be serious when they start cracking down on washing cars and stuff like that.

I know the water table in our local aquifer is down several feet over the last few years. Still, there are some fools who continue to water their lawns as if we're being flooded.
    It's bad enough that if you are caught washing your car or watering your lawn within city limits, you can get up to a $500 fine.
    I love those, the best alternative next to DIY in the driveway :-D

automatic wash should be LAST resort....
    You mean those "hand wand" places that you've gotta feed at least five bucks in quarters into before you're done? Where, unless you use the "foaming brush" the guy before you just used to clean out the mud-encrusted wheel wells of his 1978 Bronco, you have to try to bring your own stuff and use that damned "wand" -- which serves triple duty in the delivery of water, "hot wax" and engine cleaner -- to fill up your bucket and wash your car -- while some "fella" waits impatiently in a booming, lowered 1988 Civic for you to leave? And we won't even mention what part of town these little oases usually are in ...

Meade
    They have 2 or 3 of those around me. I hate using them though. After I wash the car, I can see the streaks on my car where the brush cleaned through the dirt, but left some behind. You might as well not even wash the darn car.

I have taken mine to an automatic wash a couple times, but it's a "laser wash". Nothing touches the car. It's like $7, but still worth it, and it even dries the car. The Amoco down the street from my office has one, works pretty well unless your car is really dirty.