Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    ...does anybody have any experience about the BFGoodrich Touring T/A VR4 (205/55/15)?

I actually bought that tire in a slightly different size 195/60/15 (I think it's been a while since I bought those tires) I will say one thing about them. They wear like Iron. I had the tires for 1.5 years and one of them got an object in the side wall and I had to buy a new one. There didn't appear to be any apreciably difference in the older tires and the brand new one.

The only complaint that i have is that as they get older (about 20k miles) they don't handle the snow as good as when they were new. They still work great in the dry and wet just not snow or slush. Obviously get more opinions before you make a decsion but I was perfectly happy with them. (I had them on a Saturn SC2)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    That's really funny to me. When I went to the University of North Dakota, it was 55 degrees below zero with a 88 degree windchill, snowing with high winds and schools and businesses were still open.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I am so sorry, but that would have been one day when I would have been calling work and telling them it was too darn cold for me to come out. :)
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Thanks Shrique.

How noisy were they?
    How was the wet traction? (hyrdroplane, et al)

Especially in relation to the RE-92 poortenzas?

I am after this tire 'cause BJ's wholesale is having a great deal $73.99 + $9.99 / tire. This includes the tire itself, installation, disposal of old tire, balancing, lifetime flats repair, lifetime rotation and balancing.
    so $335.92 (no tax in DE), I can get new tires.

But again, how good are they?
  • You think that it's funny calling 8 inches "severe" .. here in Atlanta we got about 2-3 inches of snow and all of the schools are closed along with some businesses. But we can't even drive in the rain so it's probably a good thing.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I'm not that crazy. Of course I didn't go to school that day. Anytime that there is a possibility that I may *die* from walking to class and be found in a snow bank 4 days later I think it would be safe to skip class.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    so far here in southeastern Virginia, and yes, the place is virtually shut down. And it's still falling.

Every one makes fun of the southernish states that are paralyzed by even as little as an inch or two of snow, but the thing is that there is little or no removal equipment. They can't even do a good job of clearing the primary roads, and the secondary roads are just left to melt whenever they get around to melting. So regardless of whether anyone in these parts knows how to drive in snow and ice (they don't!), the roads are very dangerous.

Oh well, this is fun! I haven't seen this much snow here in maybe 20 years! :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    We got about 4 inches last night and all the schools, daycare centers,etc. are closed. Store shelves are empty: no bread, no snacks, stuff kids eat up when they have to stay home. Get this, I live in a townhome community which takes care of cutting the grass and trimming the shrubs, but they don't send anybody to shovel our short driveways and sidewalks -- that cost $60 per homeowner every time it snows. I wait for the stuff to melt, to heck with them.

More snow expected Sunday.

Last January,we had 10 inches, stayed on the ground a week, followed by an ice storm, another week went by and another snow storm on top of the old -- I was stuck indoors for over two weeks. To the east, Durham got 22-inches the first storm. It was February before planes could take off and land.

fowler3
    The reason Southern cities shutdown, without snow removal equipment the parking lots can not be cleared, so people stay home. Also, they don't know how to drive on snow and especially ice. SUV owners think 4X4 means their vehicles never skid on ice. LOL! They skid worse than cars. Although many SUV's are not 4X4, the roughest offroad stuff they drive on is a gravel driveway. ;)

fowler3
    I saw this guy pass me in a 4Runner in the snow back in February, 2001 when it snowed here in Md. last (the day before I got my 2001 Protege actually). He was going about 55 mph on a road that's limited to 50 anyway, in the snow. When I got up about 2 miles or so, he was sitting on the side of the road, front end in to a ditch with his air bags popped. Then gonna sit there and curse and scream. Come on now. Dummy.
  • I got in to this to find out how people like the Mazda Protege, and found more information on the current snow out east and down south. I can't believe it, but we have not had even a light dusting of snow. Last year we had over 20 inches of the stuff. I must admitt that I like it better this year. Anyway, we are thinking about buying a 2002 Protege ES. I have had two 626's and have had excellent luck with them. We were thinking about a 4X4, but decided that when I had my Expedition I only used it twice in the snow. Front wheel drive usually will handle any thing that we get out here. So, please let me know what kind of luck and how you like your Protege's. Thanks for your help.
    just a minute ago and my good neighbor is clearing my driveway. A nice lady indeed. I would do it, but at my age it's dangerous. My dad dropped dead shoveling snow and he was 5 years younger than I am now.

fowler3
    I have had 2 Proteges (a 1999 DX and a 2001 ES) and liked both of them alot. I traded my 2001 on a Jetta though recently. I had 38K on the 1999 when traded, and only 2 little problems in that time. The CD player got stuck twice, and the transmission shifted funny when passing. Neither problem was found by the dealership though.

The 2001 had more severe problems though. Brake rotors were warped (but that was my fault for washing the car when they were still hot), the radio blew out two times, once draining the battery and leaving me straded at 9850 miles. And the power driver's window got stuck or something. It was all fixed, and I put 20K miles on the car in 8 months. Definitely would recommend a Protege as good, solid, somewhat sporty, low-priced transportation.
    You would like a Protegé, considering you had two 626's. They are currently the best compact cars on the market, in my opinion. The ES is sportier and has stiffer suspension than the LX. Depends on what you like. I bought a 2001 LX 2.0 with AT and love it. It gets 28mpg city and 36mpg highway driving at moderate speeds, 60 to 65mph highway, which is our speedlimit anyhow.

My car has been perfect in its 8 months of use, no problems whatsoever. It's roomie,has comfortable seats, and all the car I need. I recently made a 427 mile day trip and was not tired at all when I got home.

You can pay more for another small car and not have as much driving fun. The Lexus IS300 looks like an economy car, the Protegé ES looks like it costs thousands more.

fowler3
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    --How noisy were they?
    Pretty good actually. I thought they were more quiet than the stocks on my Saturn

--How was the wet traction? (hyrdroplane, et al)
    It was really good when they were new but got gradually worse later on. At about 20k miles they were very acceptable on dry and pretty good on wet but pretty poor in slush and snow.

--Especially in relation to the RE-92 poortenzas?
    I've never actually driven on poortenzas. I've only driven on BFGoodrich, Bridgestone and now Dunlops on my P5.

Try this site out. It's huge but has lots of conversations on all sorts of tires. Mostly older stuff but it might be helpful.
    http://www.autopedia.com/bbs/tires/index.html
    or the main site.
    http://www.autopedia.com
  • I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I have a '99LX with AT, owned since Feb. 1999.

Minor issues: weatherstripping comes easily off rear doors on the rear edge of the window frame (easily fixed with silicone caulk), steering wheel initially off-center (fixed free). I also found the AT shifts hard from 1->2 when stomping on the accelerator just after letting off it. I avoid this by allowing about a second after letting up on the accelerator before stepping on it.

Other than that, I've had no problems. I have about 24,000 miles on the ODO.

Changes to '01-'02 from '99-'00 (that I'm aware of): thicker sheet metal in the strut towers (better handling), more sound-dampening materials under the cabin floor and around the wheel wells, 2.0L engine now standard across all trim levels, interior dash and console changes, audio system changed, headlamp assembly and front fascia changed, wheels are larger on the LX (15 v. 14), map lights even w/o moonroof, more substantial sun visors, trunk-lid spoiler standard on ES, dual tripmeters and persistent (displays when ignition is in OFF) display of odometer/tripmeter.

I chose the Pro over its competition for roominess, handling, value, comfort and outward visibility. None had the right combination of the above, except the Pro.

My minor nitpicks (accounting for changes in '01):
    Interior lighting dimmer control is clumsy to reach. Coin holder is small. Stock speakers may be sub-par, depending on your expectations.

I really like my Pro, even if it does have the smaller 1.6L engine. I like the ride and handling very much (to the detriment of my fuel economy, which averages about 29.4mpg in mostly local driving). zoom zoom :)
  • I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.
  • I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine but it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.