Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You might want to go back and delete the other 3 or 4 posts you made, and just keep the first one. It happens when you refresh your browser while posting.
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    I think just about all of us have done that at least once!
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Welcome to the Mazda Protegé board!

I didn't buy the extended warrenty so can't advise you. other than you can buy those plans anytime during the original warrenty period.

As for uncomfortbale seats, I found the LX seats very comfortable compared to competitive cars. The only thing lacking was lumbar support which I took care of by making a small pillow for my lower back.
    If this is the problem the pillow is easy to make.

Try the controls for adjusting the seat height and angle. There are two knobs on the driver's seat. Stand outside of the car and raise the seat fully, then get in and make small adjustments downward. At the same time try the angle adjustment for thigh support. And move the seat forward and back 'til you find where it feels best.

Car seats are firm these days, the Pro's seats are larger and provide more comfort than most. It could be you were use to the seats in your previous car which had many miles on them and well broken in. Like shoes, they took the shape your rearend.

fowler3
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    First off, congratulations on your new Protege. What model and is it an auto or 5spd?

Also, just as an FYI, if you hit the refresh button, your message gets posted again and again as you have no doubt found out by now...

From a personal standpoint, I have never purchased an extended warranty. The reason for this is mainly two-fold. One, reliability and quality of manufacturing are very important to me and I simply don't buy from poor manufacturers, or buy cars that have problem plagued histories. This immediately reduces your exposure to potential problems. I use the Ford Focus as a prime illustration of this point.

Second, I am fairly anal-retentive regarding maintenance of my automobiles. I also tend to notice even the slightest nuance in the drivability of my cars and will have it looked at and hopefully, resolved immediately. I also tend to keep my cars about 5 years and then trade them in.

All this said, every car manufacturer makes a lemon or two and nothing can really protect you from that. You are obviously planning on keeping this car for a long time. You have made an excellent choice in the Protege, as it has been an extremely well-built and reliable car for many years. So, from that standpoint, you are on the right track.

I also noticed that your yearly mileage is very low and this fact will also reduce wear and tear on your vehicle. I think the biggest advantage you may reap from the extended warranty is if you have an automatic transmission. Auto trannies typically wear faster and are more problem prone than a manual set-up. The Protege doesn't have a history of auto-tranny problems, so you should be fine, but this extended warranty will give you the peace of mind. Auto trannies can be expensive to rebuild or replace out of warranty.

In all, I doubt you will need the extended warranty with this car, but if peace of mind was what you were after and can afford the initial hit in the pocket, then you certainly will enjoy trouble free zoom-zooming for quite some time.

Now, if you had bought a Focus, or Neon, or Sunfire, or Sentra...an extended warranty would have been a very prudent choice.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Mother Nature is playing an April Fools joke on us. White-out conditions in Minneapolis now. Nice.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Here in Maryland where I am, some of my co-workers are wearing shorts and t-shirts today. The temp is suppose to hit 65 degrees today, and 70 tomorrow. It sucks to be you right now dude. :(
    My humblest condolences....

It is actually beautiful here in Toronto right now, although a little chill in the breeze. We got the white stuff last week.
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    That was an interesting letter. Question: do you want a turbo to take a car from 130 hp to... 220? I would guess such a car would be dual- personality, with a large turbo yielding an accompanying large turbo lag. I don't want a car that is dead until the turbo kicks in, and then runs like crazy. Imagine such a car in the snow, when the turbo hits. Imagine revving it at Every turn just to keep from getting killed with an "off-boost moment".

That said, the reason I'm not looking at the MS3 is I don't want black or orange, or the big wing, or the 450-watt stereo. Like others here, I want an engine option for the Pro family, not a limited-run competitor for slammed Civics. I think Mazda missed an opportunity here. They can still suck sales away from Subaru by making that 170 hp engine available across the line.
  • pcalvinpcalvin Posts: 44
    I have had my '01 ES for well over a year now, and I continually get around 21-22 mpg. This is a mix of highway/city. I have never gotten over 25, no matter how nice I drive it. I am not a "gas saving" driver, but my '92 3.8L Buick got better mileage than this. Is this normal, or is this a possible engine/other problem?
    I have the 5-speed std with 13,000 miles.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I get 28-29 on Highways, 24 in city.
    better get urs checked 'cuase it's below the specified range.
    if u wanna drive that fast for extended periods, better get a buick or a crown victoria.....I am sure u are not wanting to run a slalom at that speed so handling and double wishbones et al. don't matter ;)
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    Sorry, I didn't read the board until this morning since Friday. I installed a supercharger kit on a 1984 Porsche 944 and a 1994 968. they were from www.Huntleyracing.com They were great. the kits come complete and the difference is amazing. The kits ranged in price but were about $4500 For that these things are incredibly engineered. It's cheaper than a turbo kit and the boost pressures are lower for the sake of longevity over crazy hp. but hey also offer higher pressure kits as well.

Personally, I'd prefer a supercharger kit for the Pro over a turbo kit, but everyone is stuck on the "turbo is better and new and superchargers are old and out of fashion" point of view for the most part.

I can't afford the new turbo Pro, but I eould be seriously interested in the turbo kit depending on price. Add some Performance Friction pads all around to the brakes and you'd have a great start. Since I don't autocross the Pro, I would not mind lacking the ltd slp diff. All that extra hp would make commuting even more fun than it is now.

I'll probably keep the Pro well past 100,000 miles anyway and a factory engineered turbo kit won't make that big a difference in longevity. Especially if it's from a 2.0 based kit like Mazda's would be.

Ron B.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    First, welcome aboard Library!

I haven't gotten below 28mpg yet and I've got 2600 miles on her so far. 5 spd, '02 ES. Most of my driving is highway, but your mileage pcalvin seems very very low.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Congrats on your Protege purchase. My wife just bought a 2002 Protege5, and I drive a 2000 Protege ES 5-speed. I owned two 1992 Protege LXs in the past, so we're on our third and fourth Proteges.

When I bought my 2000 ES back in May 2000, I purchased the TotalCare 5 year, 100,000-mile warranty with a $50 deductible. I paid about $750 for it. My wife bought her Protege5 back in January of this year and got a 6 year, 100,000-mile TotalCare warranty (also with $50 deductible) for about $950.

The warranty is very comprehensive -- much moreso than many aftermarket car warranties. I have studied it in great detail and it's a great extended warranty -- it only leaves things like brake pads, belts and hoses and other "wear items" out. Other than that, it's truly bumper-to-bumper coverage. We wheeled and dealed on the warranties and got better prices than you did -- I'm surprised you're paying so much and you don't even have 100,000 miles of coverage. Maybe things are just more expensive in California than they are here in Virginia?

A couple of things I really like about the waranty:

(1) It picks up Mazda's roadside assistance program when the manufacturer's warranty expires, carrying you through to the end of the extended warranty.

(2) It provides free rental car and lodging/meals reimbursement for several days (I think it's three) if you have to take the car in for an unscheduled repair out of town.

(3) And a big plus -- you don't have to pay for any repairs and then fight them for reimbursement. You give the repair shop a 24-hour, toll-free number to call, and the EasyCare folks (that's the company that sells the TotalCare warranty) give him a Visa, MasterCard or AmEx account number (theirs, not yours) over the phone. They'll pay for the repair on the spot, minus your deductible, if you have one.

If you want to learn more about your warranty, check out the company's website:

http://www.easycare.com/

Good luck with your new car! I've never had a mechanical problem with any of my Proteges -- my second '92, purchased after I totaled my first one at 28,000 miles, went 83,000 miles until I traded it without any problems. So far the 2000 has been 35,000 miles with no problems, and my wife's 2-month-old Protege5 is almost ready for its first oil change, again with no problems.

Good luck!

Meade

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    click the link below to see some of the new mazda's at the ny auto show...

the 2003 MazdaSpeed3 (turbo protege) is included.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291945243

p.s. don't get to upset when you see a few non-mazda pics

It's actually good to know all of the details. Some folks always want the peace of mind with a new car purchase. Hey, nothing worng with that and at least the Pro is a reliable car.
  • number42number42 Posts: 67
    As bad as Kim-chee is (I grew up eating it, funny area i grew up in).

as for durian (for those that dont know it) see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/

• SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    My usual driving is 50/50 city/highway and I get between 28 and 32 MPG.

This weekend I got 34 MPG on a long trip to Maine. About 60% highway and the rest, fast 2 lanes (45-55mph).

P5, 5-speed, 13K+ miles
    so far i've done on average 27.1 MPG in about 50/50 city/Highway (or what passes for highway driving in NYC) '02, LX, Auto. 89octane, 1000 on the odo.
  • Thank you for all the first-hand information about the extended warranty. I guess I was taken by a fast-talking salesman! I'm embarrassed to admit that I paid $1240 for an 85,000 mile policy with a $200 per visit deductible. There was too much pressure to read the fine print while at the dealership. I will return there tomorrow to ask for a significant reduction in the deductible and price, or else I'll just cash it all in. He said it was fully refundable for 90 days (he said a lot of things, though).

Thanks again.
    Wow, i didn't read that part.....
    To charge you a $200.00 deductible on each visit is insane and corrupt when you are already forking out $1,240.00 upfront. That's unbelievable and I've never heard of that in my life...... Yes, you should get your refund if you are entitled and then go to another dealer to negotiate an extended warranty if you want one.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to threaten court action if they won't let you back out.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    It's fully transferable if you sell the car, so if I decide to sell my Protege when it's four years old with 70,000 miles on it, I can offer the buyer a one year, 30,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty! There's something not a lot of private sellers can offer!

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Not meaning to pry, but now you've got me curious...where's the funny area you grew up in?

--Dale
  • dotkobedotkobe Posts: 5
    definitely acquired tastes...
    how about the sweet aroma of curry
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    One of the reasons that most economy cars are going to rear axles is because they are just that...Economy cars. I mean they are going to sell just as many Corollas with the rear axle as they are if they made an all out MP3ish Corolla. That's why the Civic no longer has double wishbones, the Sentra has an axle, and why the next Protege may have more Focus in it. We debate the EX vs. SE all day but a majority of people don't even care about the EX, most Civics sold are DX's and LX's which I would NEVER buy.

So really the debate over which is better is moot because we (mean us the debaters) are a niche market. Our cars the Civic and Protege really are so close that what we probably ought to be discussing is who actually can DRIVE their cars. And who will actually TRY to push their cars to the limits that we argue about so much in here. I mean I'll run my car to redline and leave it there on the highway but popping the clutch from standing start... I'd rather not.

The Austin Mini won races against cars with more than twice its power back in it's day with superior handling but it was racing some cars that were lucky to have disc brakes. Since no one here has an MP3 how many think there is enough difference in actual handling for it to matter between an EX and a SE 2.0 in most driving situations.

Not enough curves on most 4 lane roads, so the handling quotient is moot and pretty equal in the power dept so all depend on who's willing to push that little bit extra. That's why the "green car" kept up with a Maxima SE. She wasn't willing.

80 to 100 mph is nothing. I mean the speed limit is 70. If you are in a car that makes you think that 100 mph is fast, you need another car. Try 1986 RX7 base stripped 147 mph, 1991 MR2 Turbo 145, 1992 300zx Twin Turbo 152 mph. All cars I've owned on an empty stretch of highway. I cruised through Fla yesterday at 90+ with a trail of cars behind me including SUV's. 100 is passe. Got 30mpg with the A/C on.

Vocus...Paintwork kills value. That's why my "silver car" was $4500 and her "black car" was only $11,000. Carmax gave you what they thought your car was worth. Since the prices are no haggle it serves no purpose to lowball someone and kill a deal that may be working on the floor. The buyers only place a figure on your trade, they have nothing to do with the sales floor.
    And what that VW dealer did to you on your Jetta should never be mentioned. There are laws in some states against that.

170hp is very little power from a 2 liter. I never had a problem with the boost on my MR2. It was a 2 liter 200 hp engine. Bulletproof til over 100K when I sold it for my Vigor. WRX is a 2 liter 225hp, the Lancer's rumored to have 260hp from it's 2.0, SVT 170hp normally aspirated 2.0., next years SI is rumored to have 200hp 2.0 from the Type-S RSX.
    >>>80 to 100 mph is nothing. I mean the speed limit is 70. If you are in a car that makes you think that 100 mph is fast, you need another car.<<<
    exactly my point....u need a touring car....one that does not have double wishbones...rear axle is fine....one with a big v-6, inline 6 or V-8..

up here in NJ, speed limit is 65mph.."strictly enforced"...and the pro is more than enough for the competition to pass at highway speed(65-70mph)
    Well I grew up in several areas of NYC. One in particular, had the reputation of having students from all over the world. In areas with korean, Chinese and Indian supermarkets, you learn about many things, usually by accident. Life is too short to eat bad food. too short to not own a PRO also (To keep this on topic)
    Curry?
    Which curry? There's Indian curry (which is really a plural, as there are many), Thai curries, Malaysian curries, even japanese curries.

They just get nasty when they are around too long (too long is 2 weeks or more).

just don't get tumeric on the upholstery.