Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    when it's minus 200 and you have no garage, it's all worth it. Even the 57% tax.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Yeah, we have a 15% tax rate on goods and services (everything except food).

I said $32 taxes on a $200 job (parts and labour), not on $50+.

You're right, I could have saved some $ by doing this myself, but the fact that winter-rated windshield washer fluid freezes on the windshield if not wiped out immediately, made me take it to Mazda before thinking about doing it myself. I could have done the oil, sparkplugs and the coolant flush myself, but I don't have a proper place where to do it until next year and the weather is pretty harsh.

Check this out (from www.theweathernetwork.com)

CURRENT CONDITIONS
    Dec 3 2002 6:00PM - Pearson Airport
    A few clouds
    Temperature - 7 °C ( 19°F )
    Wind Chill -13 << This is what kills you
    Visibility 24 km
    Wind 15 km/h W
    Relative Humidity 62%
    Barometric Pres. 103.4 kPa
    Ceiling Unlimited
    Dewpoint -13 °C

I also want to make sure they have nothing to say if it ever needs warranty work (I plan on buying an extended warranty and keep this car for 8-10 years).

Dinu
  • Options
    Labour 162.00
    Parts 57.65
    Total before taxes 219.65
    Taxes 32.95
    TOTAL 252.60

And keep in mind this is not Miami :)

Dinu
    PS: Hmm... Maybe I just need to change the flag back to the maple leaf to avoid confusion...
  • Options
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/cities/can/toronto_ON.htm

It's actually a normal winter day, but once it gets below -15C, you're toast. Well more like frozen meat than toast.

Dinu

• Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    What you're saying. But you could have waited until Friday when the heat wave hits and the hi will be 1. Here in Louisville, the local forecasters say we might get btw 1" and 3" snow, so all the grocery stores are packed with people stocking up for the first "blizzard" of the year.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    you gave it your best shot.

You tried joking, cajoling, and threatening.

But it's clearly time to throw in the towel and just rename this discussion:

"All Weather Freaks, All the Time...And Oh, Yeah--Some of Them Drive, or Have Heard of, Proteges."

:)
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    I forgot to mention all the people at the grocery stores were driving Proteges.
  • Options
    :-D
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    TEACHER'S PET!!! TEACHER'S PET!!!

(I guess you'd know what it's like to be one since you're a teacher yourself, ya big ol' tattletale with the big red whelp on your butt!!!)

Meade

P.S. (And don't yell at me, this is Protege-related) It's 18 here and we're under a winter storm warning. We're expecting up to four inches of snow, then a changeover to freezing rain -- which if you're not used to it, it makes for a wonderful inch or so of ice on top of everything (including power lines and the trees hanging over them). The whole mid-Atlantic as far north as NYC is expecting this stuff -- so do yourself a favor. While you're stocking up on bread, milk and toilet paper, buy a few extra jugs of winter windshield washer fluid. I did yesterday and put two gallons in the trunk of my Protege. If your state's like Virginia, they put down tons of calcium chloride (i.e. SALT) and it gets all over your car, including your windshield, as you follow traffic. Stock up -- you're gonna need it as this stuff starts to melt Friday!!!
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    It took more than 10 minutes for someone to tell Dinu he could save money by doing it all himself. I knew it would come. It's a compulsion.

Ugh.
  • Options
    And if you don't have all the proper tools, how's it gonna save you money anyway?

Besides, when you have it done by someone else, you have them to blame if it's not done right!

But God Forbid if they won't give you a loaner car while they're changing your oil ...

Meade the Litigious
  • Options
    I'll have you know that my rear end is just fine.

There may be a few scrapes and scuff marks, but nothing that a little touch-up paint won't take care of.

We're talking PROTEGES, people!

:)

--Dale
  • Options
    Tell me, Teacher's Pet, what did that last post have to do with Proteges?

Hmmmm?

Gee, it's starting to get cloudy here.

Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    it's been gone for less than 24 hours and I already miss it.
  • Options
    How about a another report on my new Silblade wipers. 6 degrees with ice and snow on the windshield. Nothing sticking to the wipers and they still cleared the windshield with no hopping or other frozen characteristics.

These are working better in cold weather than even the big ugly "winter" blades I once tried. I must say, I'm extremely happy with them.

Thanks to whoever posted about them. I can't remember who it was right now. But I'm ordering a set for car #2 right now.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The snow's a comin'! A balmy 18 degrees this morning. Thank God for heated seats and mirrors.. :)
  • Options
    * It would have taken me a longer to do it myself (if I could move my fingers after the frostbite kicked in that is).

* If I would have had a problem with a sparkplug breaking, I would be dead - imagine taking the engine apart just to get a sparkplug out?

* The coolant flush and oil change can be done at home, but I don't have a proper place where to do it until next year when we're moving to our new house with the nice garage, just for the PRO (and the 2nd PRO that I'll get of course).

All in all, remember it was $250 Canadian ($160 US) for a major tune-up that keeps the PRO running and myself happy (just in case something breaks, it's their problem. They can't say that b/c I didn't take it to a Mazda mechanic they will not honour the warranty work).

It's a fair price to pay for the job done and for the piece of mind that goes along with it. And if they didn't do it, I would not have those 4 new hubcaps :)

Dinu
  • Options
    I'm gonna keep pointing out your little quips until you stop. We all know you're bragging about your Jetta, and frankly, sir, this is the Protege discussion.

Meade

P.S. Your rental Malibu has heated seats and mirrors?
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Hello everyone, seems like such a long time since I've posted here. I have been very busy with work, but it's finally slowing down now because of the upcoming holiday's.

It's good to see the same familiar faces. Noticed that Paul's car is still breaking down with regularity and that he is still very much in denial over his car's questionable build quality. Meade is up to his usual wit and tongue in cheek candor. Dino is going through yet another set of wheel hubs.....

Just thought I'd say hello and i also have a question for Meade, that anyone can respond too if they have a comment, which i'll write in my next post.
  • Options
    Hey, at least this is Protege related. I'm posting here instead of the "problems" section becasue this is far more active.

AS you may remember, I had the Dunlop SP Sport tires put on the wife's Protege in the summer. They have been great tires and we have both enjoyed them immensely in dry, especially wet and even now in snow. Although, i will be putting the winter tires on this weekend.

Anyway, recently the Protege has been transmitting quite a bit of vibration into the steering wheel and cabin at high speeds. Typically, this is only noticeable on the Hwy at about 3,800 rpm to about 4,400rpm in 5th gear. Essentially, the car is doing about 75 to 85mph when the vibration becomes most evident. Slower or faster speeds make the vibration stop. The car has never transmitted much vibration previously, even at speeds in excess of 95mph.

I will be taking the car in to be looked at and my first guess was that my tires were out of balance or the alignment was off. However, the alignment seems fine, (no pulling or slack in the steering wheel) and from my detailed observation of the tires, they appear to be balanced just fine. Also, it's not the ignition coil as i finally received my recall notice a few months back and had this replaced ASAP.

So, I'm wondering whether you, or anyone here for that matter, has had a similiar problem. I know that some people have had issues with the balancing on the Dunlop Sports, but i'm not very convinced this is isolated to the tires.

all feedback welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
  • Options
    Wow, I thought you were going to ask me if I'd tried the SPs in the snow. I will be tomorrow!!!

Nope, sorry I can't help you. I have about 13,500 miles on my SPs right now, and I've rotated the tires about every 6,000 miles. I had the "opportunity" to drive about 10 miles at speeds in excess of 80 mph a few mornings ago, and I was very impressed at how smooth and quiet the tires were -- so much that I even wrote a post here about it. And my alignment isn't perfect -- my car is pulling ever so slightly to the left.

You haven't taken a pothole too hard or done anything else recently that may have slightly warped a wheel or damaged a strut, have you? And one other thing -- those wide grooves in the SPs aren't holding a stone ... ?

Good luck!

Meade
  • Options
    You'll find that the SP's are pretty darn good in the snow. They surprised me at least. Because of the stiff suspension, i don't find the Pro a great winter/snow car, although it does regain it's composure pretty fast when it starts to slip. I would say the SP's are about average for an all season performance tire in the snow. You could do much worse certainly. Poortenza's come to mind. Enjoy the snow and be careful...

I've rotated the tires as well and the last time was about 2,000km ago. Everything checked out perfect in the service. I asked my wife if she hit anything hard, pothole or otherwise and she just gave me one of those, um, looks... I'm sure you know what I mean. The kind that indicated she might hit me very hard if i persisted in asking such questions. Checked the tires thoroughly for signs of alignment or improper balancing wear and didn't see anything. Stone or otherwise. Tread is also still excellent.

I guess this is why i'm befuddled. I don't think it's the tires or alignment and it's certainly not the engine misfiring as she still pulls like a top even at that speed. I guess I'll wait to see what the vaunted Mazda tech's come back with. The vibration is not tremendous, but significant enough when you've never had any noticeable vibration prior.

Thanks for replying.
  • Options
    ... but it happened once at Goodyear with my old Mazda truck, and what you said about a recent rotation made me think about it.

Check your lug nuts.

Make sure that (a) they're all there (Goodyear left TWO off once), and (b) they're all snug.

I didn't think you'd have a bent wheel; ours are made by Enkei and they're very good wheels. About a year ago I placed my front left tire directly into a hole that was about a foot in diameter and about three inches deep -- going 50 mph. The steering wheel jerked and the front suspension made the kind of sound that caused me to be very sheepish about getting out and looking at my wheel and tire -- and then even more scared as I accelerated up to speed after seeing no visual damage. Guess what? Nothin'!

Meade
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Salt is NaCl: Sodium Chloride

CaCl is Calcium Chloride...you're right though..it is used as an anti-ice agent (ice/snow melter).
  • Options
    but I'm so anal that I already checked that too. All the lug nuts were in place and torqued correctly too.

I've heard of things like that happening to people on numerous occasions. Thankfully it has never happened to me as there would likely be one less mechanic in this world as a result. I'd go absolutely "ape excrement" over something so blatantly sloppy as that. Hey, I said I was anal.

I'm wondering whether it might be my wheel hub/bearings or CV joints that could be causing this? My wife and I both drive pretty hard, so maybe they are wearing out. However, no tell-tale noises related to that and no vibration until about 3,800rpm and then only in 5th gear. She's fine in every other gear hitting that and well past.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    It causes weird front end vibrations when it goes.
  • Options
    yah, that's the way i'm leaning too. i just don't have the sort of ticking, rat/a/tat/tat kind of noise that is usually associated with the CV joints going. Then again, it's too cold out now to have the windows down so maybe i'm not hearing it over the growl of the engine. :)
  • Options
    Now, now, I cracked one myself this summer as I pulled if off the car to clean the steel rims (I know this sounds mental, but stay with me here). A piece of it just ripped in my hand! I had 2 that were slightly scratched, but not chipped/broken.

I think Mazda realized there are some problems with those hubcaps since they just put 4 on my car for free, without asking and wrote on the invoice "as per bulletin"...

It's not like I get a kick out of jumping curves.

Dinu
  • Options
    Calcium Chloride is salt too ... just as potassium chloride is. Sodium Chloride is TABLE salt ... there are other salts. Didn't you take high school chemistry?

Meade
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I've never heard of the others referred to as salt....c'est la vie.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
  • Options
    Isn't it nice to own a car built by a manufacturer who recognizes defects on its own and offers up front to correct the matter. Just like the coil pack I had recalled on my Protege when I didn't even know anything was wrong with it. It's called customer service.

Unlike those OTHER manufacturers who won't admit a problem that's been plaguing owners of their product for three years, and prefers to wait until somebody like NHTSA forces them to take action ...

Meade
  • Options
    I just went off and did a little quick research and it appears that in areas (like mine) where they use Calcium Chloride, it is used as an amendment to Sodium Chloride. So we get both!

From what I read, the CaCl releases heat as it melts, accelerating the de-icing effects of the NaCl.

There, our chemistry lesson for today ...

Meade
  • Options
    Now I wonder who you could be talking about? (Like I don't know!)

Yeah, it's pretty good to know people care for your business - that's why I think they'll see me again next year when I can also say "PROx2" :)

Dinu
  • Options
    Meade, Nice dig at Fuh, Fuh, Fuh, Fuh, Ford. Doh.

What do you mean you don't get kicks by jumping over curbs? I swear that was you.... Maybe i'm getting you confused with Mike... you know, the chemically challenged Canadian. ha, ha. :) How was that for alliteration? I think i could have written Baerwolf. Anyway, i digress.

On the matter of my vibration problem, i'll let everyone know what Mazda says once they hopefully identify the problem and fix it. Strange, my wife never complained about the vibrations. she seemed very happy after each turn of driving the car. Too happy in fact. :)
  • Options
    Just like Jerry Seinfeld aren't we Tim?

Just because Mike and I had a slippery encounter with the City of Calgary and City of Toronto property last winter, does that mean we like off-roading in our PROs? Actually I always wanted to drive a WRC car...

On you last comment, you gotta get that vibration fixed ASAP! Next thing you know she takes the PRO for a L-O-N-G drive and doesn't come back.

Dinu
  • Options
    Yah, that's what I'm worried about. I'm already a little jealous of the washing machine and dryer and all the time she spends with them. Now the car.... it's too much for a committed husband to deal with all at once. :)

Don't worry, the wife had a nice off-road experience too a couple winters ago. no damage though, luckily.

The Pro is now 2 years and 7 months old and has 61,000km. No major problems at all, unless you count this vibration, which isn't major, or hopefully isn't. A few minor problems, loose vents that rattle in the cold and a squeaky driver seat (and this was before the vibration problems...:) ) which were quickly resolved at the dealers. And one recall that my car never was symptomatic of, but i had the ignition coil replaced anyway.
  • Options
    1 yr and 5 mths: 48.157 yesterday

No problems, running well and keeps me zooming.

Cheers! I gotta head out (get a haircut, visit Best Buy - a store opened near my house, look for possible X-mas stuff). The advantages of university: I'm off until January! HE HE!

BTW, Best Buy bought Future Shop here in Canada, but I wanna see how they differ. I have a Future Shop card for 90 days no pymts/no interest, so I doubt I'll visit Best Buy too often fo relectronic stuff.

Dinu
  • Options
    be careful about buying that (r)electronic stuff. have fun shopping. see ya.
  • Options
    NO HOMEWORK, I GET TO READ WHAT I WANT TO, AND NO FINALS!!! But I do miss the parties and living rent-free at my Dad's house, and driving for Pizza Hut so I could buy 1992 Proteges and other toys!

(OOOOOOH! Good on-topic save there, Meadeball!!!)

:D

Meade
  • Options
    so Meade, how ya doin' and how is the Protege running? Still like a top?

my wife and I still love our Pro. I think we're gonna keep her until she dies one day.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I noticed that Edmunds lists the new Mazda basic warranty as 4 years/50,000 miles, and the powertrain at 3 years/50,000 miles. Does this mean that the powertrain is not included in the basic warranty and it is shorter??? Malt??

Work just closed, so I will check your responses from home. :)
  • Options
    ... but I was under the impression that it was bumper-to-bumper, like you. Maltb?

Meade
  • Options
    sounds weird to me. powertrain less than the basic warranty??? What...what...what...WHAT???!!!
  • Options
    47,500 trouble-free smiles (typo intended).

Oh, I've got a thing or two (read: nitpick) I'm gonna have done right before the warranty expires. My trunk lock is getting persnickity when I try to open it using the key -- it may just be I've worn my key down since I have been known to use it for other functions -- you know, like opening mail and, well, when you can't find a Q-Tip ... :D

I've also heard an occasional, very faint "squeak" from the suspension when I'm on gravel or rutty pavement. I probably could correct it with my can of white lithium grease, but heck, it's winter and I'll let them put some lube down for me.

You can see I'm really stretching things here. But to answer your question, I love my Protege as much as the day I bought it. And it's officially half paid-off now!

Meade
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My DX started with that trunk lock thing. Just get some lock lube stuff and it will be fine. It's the lock, not the key.
  • Options
    Yah, i am so impressed by the Protege. It's such a great car for the money. i truly believe that it can't be beat in its segment.

Happy that your car is running great. Despite my "good vibrations", our Pro is running fantastic too. Hasn't lost any of the fun or spunk it had when we first bought it. If anything, the Dunnies add to the fun.

On a separate note, i've noticed the rear trunk lock has been a little stiff and finicky of late too and I don't even open mail with my key or use it as a Q-tip!! :)
  • Options
    and how do you know for sure it's the lock? Meade has admitted to having a worn key.

The key on my Civic got so worn it wouldn't unlock or lock the doors anymore. I went and grabbed the spare and it works just fine.

So it may very well be the lock, but don't try to state it as fact.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I noticed the other day that my engine idled kind of anemically after starting out in the cold, which it had never done before. In neutral, it was idling around 500rpm (normally is around 700rpm) and sounded weak. The engine feels normal when I'm on the gas.

I got the recall notice, so my 1.6L engine is amongst those affected, but hadn't noticed any significant loss of power or economy to date.
  • Options
    it could be the IC. however, i only thought the coil in the 1.8L was affected. Regardless, you should get it replaced if you got a recall notice.