Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Jeff, I have a 2000 ES. No factory alarm. Sorry.

Larry: But we all know what Car & Driver said about the Protege: "BMW verve for less than half the price. What's not to like?"

(Heh heh, I have that memorized!)

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I have a whole bunch of articles from different magazines on the Pro. When I get home, I am going to dig them out and post some good quotes. It's interesting that every mag that reviewed the Protege had exellent things to say about it.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,324
    The intent of leaving it out is likely safety-driven, but it may also be cost-driven.

For those with a grip over the driver's position, it's for assisting in getting into and out of the vehicle.

I also like the vertical "pistol" grip in the front passenger door. It's very comfy. Almost makes me want to be a passenger, if I weren't having so much fun behind the steering wheel. :)

I thought they took these out of the 01-02 sedans but have it in the P5. Are they back in the sedans?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Adjusting the sensitivity is something you can do or your dealer(if they admit it, sheesh) can do for you.

1. Locate the shock sensor that is tie wrapped on the wiring harness just below the steering wheel.

2. Adjust the shock sensor's sensitivity knob by:
    - turn the knob counterclockwise to decrease the sensitivity
    - turn the knob clockwise to increase the sensitivity
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    THANKS! I thank you, my daughter Sarah thanks you, her neighbors thank you. hehehe...probably her dealer thanks you! LOL
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Jbollt, didn't the dealer tell her that they couldn't do it? Why would they do that???? Maltb, you da man!
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    IIRC, the dealer contacted Mazda who told the dealer the alarm sensitivity couldn't be adjusted (am I remembering that correctly?). What is up with that? It sounds so easy, so why didn't whoever was contacted at Mazda, let alone someone at the dealer, know how to do that?

Maybe the person at the dealership didn't give this issue the attention it needed - read into that what you please.

Yes sir, maltb is da man. Maltb, are you a Mazda service tech? If so, if I have any problems, can I bring my car to your shop?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Here is a site showing the changes for the P5 mid-year. It came from someone who posted it in the P5 forum here on Edmunds'. They also added side marker lights to the car too, cool! :)

http://www.black3.com/p5/

Quick question about that oil filter change, if you would. I'm coming up on my first oil change, and I do them myself as well. What size filter wrench will I need for this little guy? The manual has some story about needing a special one to tighten (and presumably loosen) the filter. Is that so? TIA
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Posts: 163
    Well I took the plunge on the weekend and decided to do AutoX in my P5 and let me say that this is so much fun. First you get to drive as fast as you can through a tight small course and then see how you compare to other drivers in similar (and some not so simlar) cars. The bad part was that it rained all day (had to use the wet race setup LOL) which lowered the times somewhat. Still the P5 with the Dunlop 5000's handled far better than I was able to drive it. I never really hit the limits of the car as it was wet and my first time plus I wanted to do very well and represent my fellow P5 owners with dignity. I ended up finishing 15 out of 23 with a large Subaru showing (I guess the rain does brings out thie Subies). My happy moment was beating one of the Civic SIR's and my sad moment was being beat by a Subie Outback (with the H-6) with a baby seat. If interested you can see the final times at

"http://www.wosca.com/Event_Results/Spring-2002-Event-2-Results.htm"

Cheers,

d.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Great job!
    Most of us follow the P5 forum as well. Sounds like a good time was had though.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    The filter is so small in diameter I don't know the measurements. I still had the old wrench from my 85 Prelude which was small and it was about 1" too large in diameter. There's not much room so I ended up getting in there with a Stilson wrench or pipe wrench. I have a very small band wrench and it could not go near small enough.

The problem with buying the filter wrench to fit the filter is that the aftermarket filter form Purolater and Fram are not the same size as Mazda's. So, you'd be buying it to use once.

I suggest the following: get the car in the garage, jack up the passenger side, get a stand under it and slide under from the front. The filter is on the rear of the engine, you can't miss it. the factory filter was black. Just measure the diameter and buy a filter wrench that looks like a large pair of pliers. This way it will fit the factory filter and the aftermarket ones as well. But, if you follow the directions for the aftermarket filters, you should be able to take the new ones off by hand.

My 2 cents, I used Mobil 1 as I always have. 10w-30. The factory said it's good down to 10 below 0 and in NY where I am the ambient temp is not getting anywhere that low.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    I just called the dealer and there's no way the car will be ready today. The service manager said the front seats were out of the car and the entire dash is out of the car, he said, really Mr. brooks, you should see it, the dash is really completely out of the car! I'm feeling sick. He said hopefully tomorrow.

My fear is that a lot of these wire connections are meant to last forever, but not necessarily meant to be taken apart and re-connected without great care. I hope the technician is careful. I also hope ther's no rattles and squeeks. A lot of these parts have anti-rattle washers (rubber and felt) that work great, but are not meant to be used more than once. I won't know until this winter so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Still Zooming in the loaner Pro. Just not shifting for myself, relying on the slushbox right now.

Dealer ZOOM Zoom zoom
    Do yourself a favor and get a Lisle "import car" adjustable filter wrench. It will fit any brand name filter that goes on the Protege. As far as needing a special tool; I think that was a way to get people to have their oil changes done at the dealer. There is nothing special or Mazda-specific about a filter wrench. Besides, you will probably only need the wrench once for the first oil change. I swear the factory uses air tools to put the oil filters on. After that, if you hand tighten the filter like you are supposed to, you should be able to get the filter off with your hand too.
    Thanks for the info, folks.
    I have one small dash squeek. Since it is so small, I think I will leave it be - I'm afraid more squeeks, and some rattles, will result from taking apart the dash to get this one small one. Besides, I can just see the service tech's report - "Cannot duplicate problem"
    Where in the dash is the squeak coming from?? Hard to pinpoint, but I thought I had a dash squeak too, but it turned out to be the seatbelt on the passenger side.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had one of those in the 99 DX, but it would come and go.

I finally got the rattle fixed in the Jetta. They said they could not find it, but I wouldn't give up. They brought down a rep from VWoA in Michigan to check my car out. Turns out, it was a loose screw in the defroster air vent. That's something, isn't it? :) They got it fixed though, so that's cool. Those little rattles are maddening though!
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    still no rattles, except on he..he.. potholed backroads of south philly.... the whole car bends and bucks on those roads....

anyway meade
    >>Why doesn't the driver get one?<<<

well I had a handle on my suzuki and it was never used...while the passengers one was used a lot....
    I guess the mfgrs also saw that statistics and removed it from the drivers side...one more cost saving item...
    >>Why doesn't the driver get one?<<<

I can't believe people are still talking about this. Why doesn't the driver get one? Probably the same reason why the passenger doesn't have a steering wheel.
  • Thank you soooo much, maltb! I'm gonna print out that post and have it with me the next time I try to talk to them . . . maybe then they can get a clue. ::sigh:: I suppose that's what you get when they put a Mazda service department at a Lincoln Mercury dealer. And thanks Dad for reposting about it so much while I was at work. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten the answer I was looking for . . . thanks again!!

Other than that one thing, I'm loving my car. I can't find any fault with it . . . other than the fact that they didn't have the color I wanted ANYwhere in the Detroit metro area . . . why is the Seabreeze so hard to find! I ended up with the Shimmering Sand.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    No problem Sarah, you know I would go to the ends of the earth for you....I did last week, in fact..went to Detroit to help you negotiate for the car. ;-) Sorry we couldn't find a Seabreeze Protege.
  • Hey, this isn't the end of the earth! And whoever it was that mentioned a trip to Clinton Township . . . I've driven through Detroit and they've never taken potshots at my Mazda, so I think you're safe. :-) It's the potHOLES you have to watch out for.
    and isn't it nice to see this forum foster family relations? Gee Dale, no hug needed today.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    And I was just itching to instigate a group hug today....:)
  • dotkobedotkobe Posts: 5
    maltb is on the $$$ as always.
    i have a copy of the installation instructions that came with my car.
    i don't have a scanner but i can fax it to you if you want.
    it's 11 pages short...

dot
    I grew up in suburban Detroit (Novi), and did my undergrad studies at a school in Detroit (Wayne State University). Those Detroit potholes, just like the those Detroit cockroaches, are huge and plentiful. Not a bad city, just as long as you don't need to actually stop anywhere in it. ;-)

Mazdas got much more popular around there once Ford bought into the company. It gave the Ford employees in the area (Ford HQ, Southfield) some quality vehicles from which to choose. My sister in law, a mid-level exec there, drove a Miata for a while. Zoom Zoom.

PS. Go Wings!
  • f4jf4j Posts: 7
    Forgive me if this has been hashed over a few times before, but I couldn't find much using the search.

Most posts I see here talk about 3 mo/3,000 mi between oil changes. My '01 Owner's Manual Maintenance Schedule 1 says 6 months/7,500 mi.
    Schedule 2 is 4 mo/5,000 mi.

Why shouldn't I trust the manual and use their recommendations?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

Man, I wish this site had a little better search and message threading.