Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    How do you know that the V6 filter will fit?

The reason I'm interested in new oil/diff filter is that on my last oil change, after 3000 miles, the oil was pretty black and dirty.

Here's another can of worms...
    Has anybody switched to synthetic in winter, but back to conventional (dino) in the summer? Results?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    found this little tidbit on protegeclub's FAQ, and also confirmed by the parts dept guy when I asked him. I said, "will the v6 filter fit the Protege?", he said, "yeah."

yeah, that's it...
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Yeah, there are lawn mower and motorcycle filters that are bigger.
    all Mazda V6 engines use the same filter...
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time. Seeing as how I put about 2500 miles on a month, that will be any day now.
    So time ago, someone mentioned that the Mazda engineers were kind enough to put handy-dandy fill and drain plugs on the manual tranny. I found the drain plug while changing the oil, but where's the fill? Does it look just like the drain? This is the 2.0 in an 02. Thanks. I'm probably just going blind in my old age.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    sucks what???
    what did you have in mind? ;)
    The fill plug looks the same as the drain and it is directly above the drain.
    How the heck are you supposed to be able to reach down there to put the tranny fluid in?

BTW, since I'm on a knowledge kick right now, anybody know how much tranny fluid it takes for the 2.0 L 5-speed manual?
    Use a funnel with a plasic tube attached to it and fill it from under the hood. I believe the tranny holds 2.8 pts.
    I assume you meant qts... :P
    Thanks for the info.

For Canucks: 2.8 quarts=2.649788 Litres
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Believe it or not, they are good quality and can be had for cheap at Target.
    Actually, I think it is pints. The little tubes that the fluid comes in are pints and the tranny holds almost 3 full tubes.
    Well then...umm..ok.
    2.8 pint [US, liquid] = 1.324894 liter
    who makes Car and Driver filters?
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Posts: 27
    The protege 2.0 litre engine has the tiniest oil filter I have ever seen, my 1.6 litre nissan's oil filter is about 3 times larger, maybe why that is why with 171,000 miles, it still does not burn a drop of oil. Has anyone used the 626 v6 oil filter on the protege? Does it fit ok? I change my own oil, is it difficult to change the protege's, (just bought mine and it has just 500 miles)?
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Once you go to synthetic you cannot go back to conventional dino oil, as far as I know
    The Protege's oil filter is easy if you have a lift. It's kinda a pain in the butt though if you have to do it on jack stands in your driveway.

sfrat-You can change back and forth between syn and dino and I don't see how there could be a problem.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Tired of changing my oil because the puny Protege filter is clogged. I know the synthetic oil isn't even close to being worn, but I can't change just the oil filter without draining the oil first.

Today, you can switch between the two or even make your own blend (say, use 1 bottle of synthetic and two bottles of regular...just try to match the viscosity ratings), or buy a pre-mixed blend.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Wrong.

I ran 15000 miles on Castrol and the AMSOIL synthetic.
    Then switched back to Dino the last oil change.
    No problems observed.
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Actually, I went and did a web search, (not that I don't trust you all, but was just curious). I was completely wrong. So I'm sorry for putting out bad info. I did find where it said that putting sythentic into a high mileage car can be problematic. I also found a "Ask the Mechanic" type place who asked Protege Fan's exact question. The guys response was "Why?" He claimed that the load on the engine because of the summer heat and the AC system is harder on the engine than winter driving, so it makes sense to use it all the time, not just during the winter.
    I just got in and read all the posts concerning the switch b/n dino and synth. Thanks for straightening everything out all!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Car and Driver filters are made by Champion Labs.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    I'm no expert, but I would think changing to a filter larger than required would somehow change the hydraulics of the lubrication system. Not to mention probably adversely affecting warranty coverage as well.
    Hmm. I wonder if a bigger filter would create more back pressure on the oil pump. You may have a point there. I bet the effect is really quite small, but if something went wrong, someone might complain.
    so you're saying that using an aftermarket filter like Purolator or Fram would void my warranty, because their sizes are all different? LMAO.

Man if that's the case, Jiffy Lube would be sued left and right for 'voiding' people's warranties, LMAO.
    No, not just aftermarket. I'm talking about using the filter for the V6. It was designed specifically for a different engine, as opposed to an after market filter designed specifically for that engine.
    perhaps our in house jiffy lube expert newcar can disspell all these confusions about filters. Todd where are you? :D
  • djcdjcdjcdjc Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between the two. In its favor, Consumer Reports predicts the Sentra will have a higher resell value. But the Protege seems to have power windows etc. for the same price as the Sentra GXE Any thoughts?