Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    I'm not a Pro owner, but I've driven both the Pro and Sentra. I'd take the Pro 8 days a week over the Sentra. The only thing I could think that might swing you the other way is if the Protege's ride is too stiff for you. The Sentra, for some reason, feels very cramped compared to the rest of its class.

As far as resale value, I bet they'll be almost identical down the road.

Of course these are my opinions, buy what you want and do what is going to make you happy. Good luck.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    How long down the road do you plan to sell?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    You can use different filters than what is specified for your car. For example, GM has two different size filters that are interchangable. The reason for the size difference for some applications is clearance. If the clearance is OK, you can use the bigger filter is most cases. It's the inside of the filter that can make things tricky though. The bypass and anti-drainback valves may be different. Just because the filter threads on OK, doesn't mean that it will work OK. I am not sure about using the V6 Mazda fitler instead of the regular one. I guess you could shoot MazdaUSA an e-mail and ask them.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    when I put on the v6 filter!

2 more hours and I'm outta here!!!

long weekend, woohoo!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    lifted up the car up onto jackstands, and found all the key items easy enough, but then I hit a snag. The frigging drain plug is bolted dead tight and I couldn't get it off!!!! Looks like the dealer airwrenched that SOB in good. #*^%(&$*(#&!(!FF(*$&(*!!!!!

I'll try again with help from someone that has air tools to untighten that POS >:(
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    are you sure you are going the right direction? I've never seen one I couldn't get off.

Lefty Loosey - Righty Tighty
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    LMAO!!!!!!

I hope you get that drain plug off alright Hank. My Uncle can undo mine easily when he does my Pro. Not sure why they would have used an air tool for the drain plug. :(
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    In lieu of a long-handled wrench, one thing you can try is to put a length of pipe (slightly larger than diameter of your wrench handle) on wrench to give more leverage.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I finally got the tether anchor installed(MAZDA ISO kit) in my car. The dealer only installed one in the center of the rear deck. Well that is ok since i place my child seat only in the center.

The problem is: my '99 ES does not have the 2 'U' hooks at the bottom of the seat.

How do I use the ISO child seat?

Weren't Mazda supposed to provide all the components of the ISO Anchor system?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    If you don't have a pipe, you can link two wrenches together and get the same leverage effect. It's kinda hard to explain in words, but you can join two open ended wrenches together and that plug will come right out.
    Click on

http://www.wrightexperience.com/edu/engine/index.htm

then click on "Vertical Four #20" and you can hear the sound of something that changed the world forever, starting in 1903!

• yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    Very cool. Thank you.
    Please note that engine in original 1903 Wright airplane was a horizontal design, not the vertical 4 whose sounds are heard on the site I recommended. Didn't mean to mislead.
  • number42number42 Posts: 67
    well, actually i had the dealer do it.... the dealer told me that he would not put in any oil but their own, for liability reasons. is this common?

(I had 4 qts of mobil1 10w30 all ready for it too)....
    That is such a TOTAL CROCK!! I wouldn't believe anything that dealer ever has to say from now on. I know that's not any help, but it made me see red.

Changing your own oil is so easy I strongly encourage it (save the oil and filter receipts so you have proof the work was done by you). Get set of Rhino Ramps at Wal-Mart. Save lots of money, and you'll have the satisfaction that the oil change has actually been done, and done correctly!
  • number42number42 Posts: 67
    well the way he put it: if something goes wrong with the mazda oil, its totally on mazda. If it happens with mobil 1, then there is a whole mess with who pays what.

Problem I have is that I live in an apt. and the garage I house my pro in decidedly not maintenance friendly. (no maintanence or even washing allowed), and no, thats not uncommon in my neck o' the woods (NYC).
    I really do understand your problem re DIY (I should have said DIY if practical).

However, I still maintain that the dealer has absolutely no reason to claim a possible legal problem in using a recognized brand of motor oil in your car. The same holds true for using other than OEM oil filters.

Mazda is not going to void your warranty if you DIY and use non-Mazda oil or non-Mazda filters. In fact, it would be illegal of them to do so.

I do believe that Mazda would prefer that the dealer sell you all the mazda stuff he can. Ha!

Best wishes.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Posts: 27
    Their is a technical service bullentin, service bullentin number 0900901 regarding wind noise from windshield molding on the 2002 protege. I sent an email to mazdausa for the details on this TSB and the fix they recommend, just in case I have a problem with it, have not noticed the wind noise problem so far.

Will also post this message in the maintenance and problems site.

Frank
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    It was great hanging with you guys last night...hope the rest of your weekend goes well, and that my driving wasn't too scary for ya. :)

BTW, hit 12,000 after dropping you off!

--Dale
    That's a load of crap. Mazda doesn't make oil...Some company does it for them and they just stick a label on it. In the manual it states that you just have to use oil that meets SAE standards. No way on earth that you have to you some special Mazda oil...there's nothing that can really be different about it.

When I first got my car, I asked my dealer about synthetic. She said that they don't have any in-house, but if I brought my car in for an oil change, I would just have to bring my own oil and they would put it in for me.

But now I just goto the Midas where my Uncle works and get oil changes done there. No way am I paying the dealer $40 for an oil change!
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    In winter, RFG is mandated for use in the philly area. RFG stand for the Reformulated Gasoline aka Oxygenated gasoline.

from http://www.citgo.com/Products/QuestionsAnswers.jsp

"The oxygenates provide additional oxygen in the combustion chamber and thereby result in a more complete combustion of the gasoline"

Then why is it that in my '99 ES, I actually observe loss in power while using RFG?

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    If expenses are a problem now, new ones will be found to make up for the increased income. Of course getting expenses in line is easier spoken than done.

You got that right! Just as I had gotten my expenses straightened out my medications took a jump in price. One went from $36.72 to $74.81, good for two weeks then refill! All four went up. It wasn't too long ago the four cost $150.00, now, one of them cost that.

fowler3
  • rae52rae52 Posts: 99
    Chikoo, it's because oxygenated gas actually has LESS energy by volume i.e.; this means that your car will burn more gas then it will using conventional gas to travel the same distance.

Hope that clarifies it for you.
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Posts: 166
    What is Mazda HQ's email address for technical-related questions?
    Kaiser it is mazdausa.com, select contact us, and send them an email they will respond in 24-48 hours. I don;t know if there is an email address for the canadain division. What part of Canada are u from, I am originally from Fredericton, New Brunswick, but moved to sunny warm florida many years ago.

Frank
  • geckophgeckoph Posts: 6
    Hello,

What prices are people paying for 2002 ES manual with ES premium package? I can find $1500 cash and this weekend, a dealer told me about an extra $300 incentive. I'm thinking about 14,100 with destination. Any thoughts?
    From the Mazda Canada website:

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/contactus.html

Mazda Canada

305 Milner Avenue, Suite 400

Scarborough, Ontario

M1B 3V4

1-800-263-4680

Information Centre

Fax: (416) 293-2780

For part availability and pricing contact your nearest dealer.

All other inquiries, please contact Customer Relations at 1-800-263-4680.
    Like Chuck Heston in the Omega Man...
    Where is everybody?????
    I know it's a holiday and all for most of you guys, but come on!

BTW, Happy Memorial Day Yanks. :D
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Posts: 166
    I'm from Toronto, moved to South Florida 'aboot' two years ago after I graduated from Ryerson. (I'm one of those brain drain grads!!!)My Protege is also a Toronto native and will probably be returning in the next year, it'll be three years old and have never been through a Canadian winter! When I went to Fairbanks to check out a 2002 Pro, the sales guys couldn't wrap their minds around my 2000 1.6 SE with manual windows and doors locks and a power sunroof, they all came out to look at it!
    I just bought a 2002 protege es 5 speed, fully loaded with premium package, autodimming mirror with compass and outside temp, wheel locks, cargo net and security system with shock sensor for $15,656.00. Dealer kept rebate, car listed for $17,800.00

Frank