Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    I'm not sure how many F1 fans we have here but I am so pumped up, I haven't had time at night to start changing the front speakers. I may do them tonight after qualifying.

As an F1 lover, I have to say, if yesterday's times were in any way representative, the rest of the F1 field may be spanked when Ferrari gets the F2002 on track. I know it's hard to take anything of value from a practice session, especially the first. But, there is generally not a 1.5 second gap between the top 2 teams.

We'll know more by the second practice session and I'll be glued to the set tonight at 9pm EST for qualifying. If McLaren and Williams don't outpace Ferrari by .5-.75 min at qualifying, this season could prove ho-hum if Ferrari's F2002 is as realiable as the F2001.

By the way, nice to hear from another former 944 owner who realizes that the Pro offers fantastic all around performance for the price that is actually beyond that of others in the same price range. "Feeling" is more than numbers and Mazda has aimed the feeling of this car a bit above the price tag.

Ron B.
    Ron B.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I'm as psyched as you are about the F1 season starting. Qualifying tonight at 9pm, race live on Speed Channel Sat. night at 9pm.

I think Williams & McLaren are holding back a bit in practice... look for the times to be much tigher tonight when it maters. My man Montoya will storm in!

I just started watching last year and became addicted. I'm going to see some of the practice days in Montreal this year and the wife and I ae going to attend the US GP at Indy!!!! :-)

It should be a great year. I'd look for the Renault team to do well this year. Button is a heck of a driver when he's in a good car, and the Renault factory effort (formerly Beneton) will be a STRONG car.
    My 2 brothers and I have attended the first 2 USGPs and we renewed our tickets for this year. It is fantastic there! Make sure you get hotel as soon as possible. We made our reservations last October for this September's race! They go quick! The sound is beyond belief. To hear a v-10 scream at limits nearing 20,000rpm in qualifying is something else. The best part is if you go on Saturday for qualifying, you can walk all over the track as it's general admission.

If you haven't gotten a hotel room, do yourself a favor, call the Indianapolis visitors center and get their help now! I mean now! When we went to the first USGP 2 years ago, I thought I was smart making reservations in March for the September race. Well, let me tell you, I spent DAYS calling hotels and the closest I got was almost 100 MILES away! When we checked in, there were many people coming in to see if there were rooms. So, reserve your room and make sure you guarantee it. If you spend the day at the track and get to the hotel late, you don't want to find that the room is gone.

Ron B.
    My 2 brothers are going to the Canadian GP this year. They are psyched!

The times will certainly get closer in qualifying. While I am a fan of Michael's, in reality the best he should be hoing for is 4th in qualifying. There is no reason with 2002 spec cars, both Williams cars and at least 1 Mclaren car should not outqualify the year old (albeit updated) Ferrari.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I like the Renault team for some reason I can't explain. Kimi in the McLaren should be fun to watch, as well as JP in the Williams. Canada's own JV took a trip on the grass in practice, but if this guy has a good car he can do wonders again. As for Schumi, ever since that 1997 ordeal when he tried to ram JV off the track, he's not anywhere near my favs. Sad to see Alesi gone to DTM, while excited to see what the Toyota team can do. And who can forget Murray and his great commentary.

Dinu
    GO! GO! GO!
    The day after I picked up my Pro I posted to this board that when I went to start it, the engine turned over but did not start. I tried a second time and it began to turn over and then ground to a halt like the battery was dying. I tried again and it started fine. At the time, I thought that maybe it was 2 different things: 1) my fault as I may have let the clutch up while turning over (this is the first car I've had where you need to depress the clutch to start) and2) the infamous hard starting issue we experienced with my wife's 2000 MPV.

Well, the problem never occurred agin for the next 3 weeks. Last night, I turned her over 2-3 seconds, did not start. Tried again, no start. tried third time and it did that grind to a halt thing like the battery was dead. 4th time strted right up. I definitely had the clutch fully depressed. What gives? I could bring it to the dealership (it's only 1 month old), but I know where that's landing me. This has occurred only 2 times in the probably 100 times the car has been started. The chances of them reproducing the problem are near zero.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I want to know if there is a general problem. Mazda new about the hard starting of the 2000 MPV's v-6. They were working on a fix while they were selling the cars. By the way, we've had the updates done to her car and it has made a big difference.

Thanks for any input,

Ron B.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    My wife's family lives just over the KY border and we are visiting them for that week so we're all set on where to stay. Her Uncle runs a Peb Boys and has pit passes and such and a friend from college works at the track (for the IRL) and is hooking me up too. :)

I think Trulli and Button in the Renault are ging to surprise a few people this year. They weil fight it our for "4th" with BAR and Jaguar IMO.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    As I mentioned before, you need to make sure all electrical components are off before cranking the engine. This includes the fan, AC, wipers, radio, defrost, etc. Mine has not had this issue for a long time. Only happened 2-3 times since I had the car and it always started after turning the radio and heat off.

I would suggest having the computer re-set so all prev codes are erased. If they will do a reading, they can find it easier. But as you said, if this occurs rarely, I doubt the code will even be stored.

Could this be caused by impure fuel? What about spark plugs? I know the car is new, I'm just trying to fig out what else it could come from.

Dinu
    See, I wish I could say it was because the radio or heat was on, but, since I found out the heat makes my a/c compressor stay on, I don't even turn the fan on. I know that when I just experienced this last night, the fan was off. I can't say 100% about the radio. I have a habit of turning it off before I turn off the car, but I will make sure it's off from now on and see if it occurs again.

It can't be the plugs because it runs and idles perfectly. It's definitely an electrical supply problem because the power to the starter is being greatly reduced. I can't believe the radio being on would draw so much amperage that it would affect the starter.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    I don't see how having ALL of the electrical accessories on could make it that hard to start a modern engine. I would have the starter checked out.
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    I never turn off my radio or heat or anything, and I've never had a problem starting my 01 ES. I suppose it might make a difference if its very very cold outside. I would guess that it might be the starter though. I would have it checked out.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    >>>>If you examine the leading/front edge of the spoiler you'll see its all flat, maybe 3/16"-1/4".
    Therefore it couldn't produce any lift/down force since all flow across the surface would be drag, i.e. turbulent, not laminar flow. <<<<

a SPOILER does what it name implies.
    It SPOILS the smooth flow of the air over the rear trunk area.
    A smooth flow of air would produce a lifting effect viz. the rear of the car will feel less planted on the road. In short, the spoilers job is to improve the contact between the rear tires and the road by SPOILING the smooth air flow.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    So the air crossing it would tend to push the trunk downward. So maybe it does have SOME function, even if nothing else than to keep the trunk closed if you left it open!

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Glad I am not the only one who felt that the "steering wheel" was not as tight at 80+ as it is at 65mph.

After lots of pondering, I believe this is caused due to the "toe-in" of the front wheels opening out with such high forces acting on it at that speed.

But the car steers great if you DO NOT try to grasp the steering wheel tightly.....just hold it lighty at those speeds ( i know it's supposed to be otherwise) and the car within itself does not seem to lose composure...it tracks straight and even.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    When I open the trunk lid (with the pull-handle inside my Pro), the lid does not spring up as it does in my Cavalier. Guess it must be due to the downforce of the "spoiler".
  • for most of the trip I was doing about 140kph but for the part when you get out of Quebec upto about Brockville, it was closer to 160. That was 4 years ago. Whould not do that now, cops are watching speeders alot more over the past few years.
  • aerodynamics is an important part of car design. Unfortunately, one can't predict how modifications or add-ons will effect things w/o wind-tunnel testing [or at least seat of the pants experience. Effects are highly speed dependent. A spoiler that looks like it should decrease uplift might only work at very high speed, or may not work at all. Sometimes, manufacturers will offer designs because buyers like the way they look, regardless of functionality.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    I have a 2001 ES with 7500mi and the Dunlop sport 5000's. There's an uneven stretch of highway on my commute .The PRO is the only car of the 3 that I own (including an 82 Jetta Diesel) that makes me bob up and down like a bottle in the ocean on this stretch. I'm doing around 60 usually. I know this car has a sport suspension and is built for handling etc. but I'm still trying to reconcile what that is supposed to give up in terms of a ride. Since I have never driven any of the other manufacturer's compacts of recent model years I don't know how to evaluate the PRO in this respect. Can we not have a car that has a sport suspension which damps out road bumps more quickly? I know many on this board have stated that the PRO does have a somewhat stiff ride, but I don't know how that compares with others. I don't like a car with a dead steering feel but I don't want to feel bumps either. Are these two opposing requirements?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Just saw an emerald green, gen3 Protege with GOLD badging...nameplate, Mazda logo, flying M....

Only saw it from behind, so couldn't see if there were any other gold accents...

Anybody else ever see this???
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... electroplated in gold (real gold, mind you!) by a lot of aftermarket shops. I've seen them at my Mazda dealer, doing it to a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I have no idea how much it costs.

Meade