Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Well, it actually rained yesterday in sunny Southern California and I got to try the stock Potenzas in the wet for the first time.

Once rolling they had decent grip, but on take-off they spun far more than the Pirelli or Goodyear tires of my last car. They are good enough (and we get so little rain) that I'll try to put 30,000 miles on them before getting something better.

The Firestone Affinity tires that came on my wife's car were so bad I wanted to replace them from day one.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    I purchased two 2000 Mazda Protegé ES's in March of 2000. One vehicle, I drive and the other is for my wife, Trudy. Both cars have automatic transmissions and came standard with the 195/65R15 All-Season Performance Bridgestone Potenza RE92's.

All due respect, Larry, but you mean 195/55R15, right?

My stock Potenzas currently have just over 30K on them. The only time they've spun on wet pavenment take-off is at one particular intersection in one particular suburb near me...it's happened several times at that intersection, actually. I know, freaky. :)

Anyway, I did some calling around...my new Falkens are now in Chicago, and should be delivered to the tire place this afternoon.

Woo hoo!
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Thank you Dale. I stand corrected! :-)

195/55R15 All-Season Performance Bridgestone Potenza RE92's

-love train
  • Options
    Well, I have my new Falkens, all right, unfortunately they're in the back seat of my Protege, rather than at the service place I requested they be drop shipped to.

Seems either discounttiredirect.com or UPS got creative, and decided to sent them to my home address.

And when I wasn't at home this afternoon, UPS helpfully left them at the corner store, which helpfully accepted them.

So now I'm driving around with $300 worth of smelly tires in my Protege until I can get them installed.

>:-O
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    ...smell great! ;)
  • Options
    ...for a few minutes.

But what the heck is my car going to smell like tomorrow morning? :P
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Sorry, Meade, I did get sort of stuck on the MZ3 boards for a couple weeks. Was anxious to find out how good the 3 is and kibbitz with the posters. ;)

Raymond said: "Jim, do you get paid for advertising chat! LoL."

LOL! Well, NO! I don't. It's an old habbit from being a chat hound -- gets in your blood. Besides, if no one shows up Edmunds will kill it. :(

I'm beginning to think about tires so I read every post here, although my Pro has only 16,783 miles on it and the tires were rotated last at 13,750 miles when I had an early 15K check. Due an oil/filter change now.

Thought the steering was pulling to the left at traffic stops, but checking additional stops realized it was probably just one or two with rutted pavement. In the South summer heat melts blacktop at intersections. Though we had a mild wet one this year.

Mazda3 buyers and prospective buyers seem thrilled with the MZ3. I looked at three Sunday, a red one, a black and, a white one, all 3s sedan models. My first impression was not like the others; I was disappointed with the design. It looks too bunched up to me. Too tall and too short, especially the back end. What you would get if you breed a Civic to an Altima. To me, the Protegé is much more balance, almost perfectly proportioned.

The curve of the roof makes the sedan look taller than it is, it's definately taller than a Pro.
    One of the red MZ3's was on the front row lined up with Protegé5's. With the exception of the Sport grille its lower bumper is almost identical to the older Pros. The main difference between them, the Pro5's bumpers are squared while the MZ3's bumper is rounded producing a decided bulge with the jutting V of the grille.

With all the photographs we have seen, and played with, the one thing I have tried hard to like is a black interior. I have always hated black steering wheels and is one reason I got rid of a '97 Accord in less than a year. Bought a dark blue with dark grey trim trying to hide it. It didn't work. I know I would hate a solid black interior.

Motor Trend said in one issue, "If you don't like the interior trim in a car do not buy it, that's where you will spend your time." Adding, "no matter how nice the styling and features." Good advice.

My contempt for black trim goes back to 1963 when I bought a Riviera with black seats (No A/C). The steering wheel was black plastic with decorative chrome rings just above and below 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. I got tired of first degree burns when I grabbed the wheel after the Riv had sat in the sun all day. Man, was it HOT!

My neighbor has a black BMW with black leather seats, she has to put bath towels over the driver's seat before she can get in it.

I bought the Protegé as a temporary car until I could find something I liked better. I haven't seen anything better, just more expensive.

fowler3
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I like the Protege interior more than the "3".
  • Options
    It's hard to judge the size of anything if it is solid black. The 3's cabin looks small because of that. They didn't use the red and blue counter point colors enough, especially the red/blue dot cloth, none on the doors. Hopefully, the hachback seats with stripes will help.

The only black on my Protegé is the plastic around the gauge cluster, everything else is either beige or taupe. Black is always dusty and I have habit of cleaning my car as I drive, sometimes running across lines. I would be a terror in a black trimmed car. Worse, I would have to detail the dash before startng the engine, every time I got in it.

My first thought was how can the trim be changed, maybe a solid color in leather other than black. In the old days, people always bought seat covers to save the fabric so it would trade good.

fowler3
  • Options
    I test drove two Proteges when I bought my 03 DX two weeks ago, and the LX had a black interior that I thought looked very nice. The black looked terrific on the dash, very sporty.

My car has the beige two-tone interior which while not as sporty as the black, is much cooler here in sunny Southern California, and looks almost as good.

Actually, its gray plastic that I can't stand. I've had so many cars with gray plastic interiors that I'm absolutely sick of it. My 02 Galant was gray inside, as was my 97 Sentra, 94 Aspire (Korean model, in Korea) and 94 323 (gray seats, black dash). My wife's 01 Saturn L200 has a gray interior if you read the window sticker, but its actually closer to taupe, and not bad looking.

It is so nice to be in other than a gray plastic interior again.

Oh, as for the car, 1300 miles and enjoying it tremendously. The car really sticks in corners, doesn't lean on its suspension and even with the slushbox it just feels fast. Fuel economy isn't terrific, but not terrible either. I tried to squeeze out a high-mpg tank that was half freeway (70-75MPH) and gentle, though fast cruising in town, and my result was 25MPG. I expected a bit more with all the highway driving (about 150 miles highway), but of course the car isn't really broken-in yet.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Why couldn't the tires fit in the trunk? 4 will fit back there.
  • Options
    Easy for you to say.

Alas, my trunk runneth over.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Remember where Dale is from? She keeps the bodies back there.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... elephant with a cold, you!

Enjoy them Falkens - be sure not to overwork them as they're 'seating' for the first few days & couple 100 miles after installation. Then you can continue to speed on those suburban roads and take ramps at thrice the posted speed limit again :)
  • Options
    (and Raymond, I'll deal with you later...mwa ha ha ha.....)

When you say, 'overwork,', what exactly do you mean? Travel at high speeds? Take the corners hard? In other words, drive?!? :P
  • Options
    Forget fuel economy above 60mph! On a day trip to Virginia, 10 hours driving, I got 36mpg. But I didn't drive above 60. The route was over twisty, hilly, and mountainous roads with sweaping curves, just right for the Pro. The second leg was through the Virginia Piedmont, rolling foot hills with smooth highways and little or no traffic.

Speed kills more than fuel economy, it prevents seeing beautiful countryside and views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. On my trips I stop every 50 miles and take a 15-minute break, buy a refreshment, and enjoy the views. Makes a boring trip a mini-vacation. Near the end of the second leg, I stopped at Appomatox to read the historic markers about the Civil War. On the return leg, same highway, I stopped at another historic site, Thomas Jefferson's summer home, Poplar Forest, to watch the archeaologist at work and to take photos. This was a business trip on a perfect sunny day. I arrived home, at 9:30PM, refreshed instead of worn out. :D

fowler3
  • Options
    reminds me of? Especially the black model with black trim and those flashing LEDs -- David Hasselhoff in Knightrider and his Firebird with flashing LED headlights when the car talked to him. LOL!

Mazda, in its last ditch effort, must have done a lot of marketing research. Americans are suckers for flashing LEDs. Look at the millions of audio systems they buy. They sit in the dark watching dancing equalizers bounce up and down. Put them in our cars they will buy them. Leave off variable intermitant windshield wipers, same cost.

fowler3
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    good comparison Jim!!! I would never think of it.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    50-100 miles should take care of it. Just don't put too much load on them (so take it easy on sudden accelerations and don't travel at triple-digit or high-double-digit speeds). I think what happens is the rubber around and between belts heats up and vulcanizes more thoroughly once you install and run on them. Heat them too much, and you may shorten the life of the tires by weakening the rubber between the belts of steel, nylon, polyester etc.). If you make a number of short trips v. fewer longer trips, you might need to travel more cumulative miles to accomplish this. The key is to heat-cycle the tires a few times before really putting the pedal to the metal.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    This is in response to post #22820, 11/30: I've had service done by both Wescott and Hine (I was working in San Diego at the time), and bought my daughter's '99 ES at Hine in March of '99 (while she was at UCSD). Your problem is that you went to the wrong dealer. Hine is a great dealer that I would recommend to anybody. BTW, Diablo Mazda in Walnut Creek is also an excellent dealer.

I know hine well as my family has purchased 3 mazdas there over the years. I would have loved to have purchased at Hine. Only problem was the had only a few Mazdaspeeds and a DX - neither of model fit my needs.

BTW, my ghetto dealer still hasn't delivered my fobs. The salesguy said they're out. The parts guy said otherwise. Huh.

I'll drop the car off Thursday to get the scratches removed and get my fobs.

The parts guy asked if my pro had an immobilizer. Huh? I thought the pro didn't come with that new fangled 1990s technology!
  • Options
    tonight, bring your questions and your comments and join in. Doors open 15-minutes early to make the week's fastest and most enjoyable hour longer.

Time: 6:00PM to 7:00PM PST -- 9:00PM to 10:00PM EST

We need your support to build it.

See you there!!

fowler3
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

Dale
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I was sitting at my desk on the 11th floor of my downtown office building at 3:59 p.m. yesterday when I heard an extremely low-pitched rumbling. Since we have a large railroad bridge by the river at the foot of the building, at first I thought it was just another train. But then -- then -- oh my goodness, the building started swaying. It started as a kind of wobble, then it began to sway back and forth slightly. My monitor and the little Christmas tree on my desk shook so much you could hear the monitor creak on its base. I stood up, then sat down, then grabbed the bookcase -- heck, I didn't know what to do! It lasted about 30 seconds and then died down. My wife called on the cell phone to tell me there'd been an earthquake. Then I tried to call my boss out in the field, but the phones were dead. For the next few hours, trying to make a cell call was a real pain in the butt as the circuits were all tied up. I exited the building down 22 flights of stairs -- hey, I don't like elevators that much to begin with! I did a visual inspection of the house when I got home and found no cracks, but I plan to get under the house this weekend and look a little more closely. Heck, I hope I don't find anything; our homeowner's insurance, like most, doesn't cover earthquake damage. Actually the Great Quake of Ought 3 performed one home-improvement task for me though -- ever since we moved into our house four years ago, Sean's bedroom door has stuck along the top when you try to close it. So much so that you have to lean against it to make it shut all the way.

Welllllll, guess what?

:)

Hey -- in deference to my friends out on the Left Coast, this little mag 4.5'er wasn't a biggie -- but it was a history maker in Virginia.

http://www.geol.vt.edu/outreach/vtso/heli/GIF/ELN_EHZ_SE.20031209- 12.gif

Shaken but not Stirred,

Meadeball
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    LoL, I don't know what I would have done.

Maybe someone had a video camera on you and will make a Meade Bobble Head.
  • Options
    drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Just passed by a local mazda dealer and saw an M3 side by side with the protege. Exterior appearance indicates that M3 is bigger but the opposite is true once your inside. The protege's 8-way driver seat makes it significantly more comfortable and there is more knee and toe room at the back. The m3's telescoping steering did not help much, it still is far away and not as comfortable driving position (gotta have that tilt control for the seat bottom).

The only thing needed for total comfort for protege is an elevated foam padded center arm rest. This is simple to remedy since I am able to install a brand new arm rest from a '96 camry into my wife's 2000 elantra (with 8-way seat too). I can rest both elbows while holding both hands to the steering. More similar driving postition to the c-class, how about that!
  • Options
    is there one available that fits the Protege well and matches the beige interior?
  • Options
    I'd kill for a good armrest! I drive 90 miles a day and my arms are tired from it.
  • Options
    drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    It involves creative thinking when hunting for perfect armrest sourced from other makes. I have to remove the lumbar adjuster so the camry's arm rest can fit on my wife's 2000 elantra. Maybe the arm rest pad of that in 1999 altima will be narrower and fit better. It has beige color too. When installing you need good amount of spacer in between (I used wood screwed to both sides) to attain similar height to the door arm rest. And it needs to be placed a little forawrd so your elbow can rest while holding the steering.
  • Options
    had a fabulous armrest, perfect height and very soft. Of course, the door armrest was hard, poorly shaped and generally uncomfortable, as was the door sill for when I wanted a change of position.
  • Options
    Why is it the cats doing ergonomic design of interiors never seem to consider arm/elbow placement?

I dig my BMW but the driver's door is useless for arm resting. My Pro's just as bad. At least the bimmer has a nice soft shifter armrest on the center console - and it can be moved up so it's out of the way when doing more spirited driving.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    for resting my arm was and it wa what made me go for it.
    maybe I am built differently?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I saw on that was made by some small company for the Protege, but it looked really cheap and out of place. Other than that, I haven't found one.
  • Options
    what company made it, and more importantly, do you have a website? I will have a cross-country drive coming up in about five or six months and would like to set one up, even an ugly one that can come off later.

As for the driver's door, the Protege's is excellent, both the armrest and the upper sill. The Galant was actually the only car I've ever owned that had uncomfortable doors, and has added that to my pre-purchase checklist.

I think the best driver's door (for arm resting) I've ever owned is my current 03 Protege, with my 97 Nissan Sentra and 94 Mazda 323 also very good. Actually, I think smaller cars do better in this regard, perhaps because the door is usually closer to the driver's body.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I think the best driver's door (for arm resting) I've ever owned is my current 03 Protege, with my 97 Nissan Sentra and 94 Mazda 323 also very good. Actually, I think smaller cars do better in this regard, perhaps because the door is usually closer to the driver's body.

See, that's exactly what I don't want. I drive with my windows up, ac going and moonroof open. I don't want my arm close and my shoulder cocked to compensate for the window by my elbow. And I'd prefer some supple padding up there too. Plus a real armrest for the door! I often end up on the highway leaning back and raising my arms over my head or trying to find somewhere comfy to let them rest while I drive with my knee.
  • Options
    I also drive with the windows up and the AC on, and find the Protege doors are extremely comfortable, both at the real armrest and at the top of hte door sill (where the window begins) for resting my left elbow. Both spots are well padded, and more important, well shaped. If it was a larger car with the door farther from my body, I wouldn't be able to reach the steering wheel while resting my elbow.
  • Options
    There ya go. You want to touch the wheel. I want to just prop my arms up and lean back. No need to touch the wheel. ;)
  • Options
    what's your license number, I want to stay far behind you when on the road? Maybe if you had a transplant, grafting your hands onto your knees, then you could do whatever you want to with your arms.

It would be interesting to see your reaction during a blowout.

fowler3
  • Options
    the small, thick steering wheel of the Protege is about as close to 3-spoke perfection (especially after putting on the nice wheelskin leather cover) as anything this side of a BMW. I can't keep my hands off of it, even when the car isn't moving.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Amen.
  • Options
    Fowler---I'll grab the wheel. No big deal.

As for the wheel itself, it's decent but my Jetta's mom leather wheel felt meatier and my bmw's whole ergonomic setup is damn near perfect.

My pro is a fun commuter. But i must admit I really look forward to the weekends and driving my bimmer, which feels like a race car now.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I got a glimpse of the front end. It might sell well in Europe but here I don't know. It looks too playful on the front end to me. I really liked the 99-00 Protege sedan's before the refresh. The 01-03 Pro Sedan looked good but liked the the 99-00 exterior better. Also I am a big 02-03 Pro 5 fan as well. MP3 was a looker in 01 too.

The thing about the 3 Mazda tried to be VW too much maybe. It also dissapoints me to here the interior room in the 3 has less interior space than the Protege. I have heard glowing reviews about the way the 3 drives. Exterior wise I'm not so sure. Mazda won me back in 1998 when I had to dump my car and get something in a hury.

Lastly, what audience is the 3 going to sell too? Its too playful on the exterior for the guys and too funky looking for women buyers. With the 6 Mazda hit perfect on the buyer they wanted. I'm going to see have to see the whole car to judge. Cars i hated when they came out or saw photo's: 98 Accord, 04 TL, and 03 6. Like them all now.
  • Options
    protege123protege123 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what type of side air bags come on the 03 Mazda protege lx? Are they head protecting? Or just for the torso? I heard they were something called dual chamber thorax bags...is that correct?

Thanks for any info. you may have...
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    The SAB in the Protege protect the head and torso. Never heard of thorax bags, but it could be.

Ted
  • Options
    Lastly, what audience is the 3 going to sell too? Its too playful on the exterior for the guys

Playful? It's chiseled, upscale and muscular, unlike the very thin skinned, flat, slab sided shape of the Pro.

and too funky looking for women buyers.

Not to any woman I know. Several have commented to me that they saw a 3 and liked it. One friend who wanted an RX-8 is now thinking of a 3. More in keeping with reality.

With the 6 Mazda hit perfect on the buyer they wanted.

I disagree as sport sedan fans I know all looked at the 6 and passed because it's understated styling and total lack of power missed what they wanted from a sports sedan: fun.

I'm going to see have to see the whole car to judge. Cars i hated when they came out or saw photo's: 98 Accord, 04 TL, and 03 6. Like them all now.

Seems you prefer cars that are more undercover machines. to each his own. I think the 3 is finally getting mazda on track toward a sporty, luxurious image. Something the pro does not have in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    was never a characteristic I connected with the Protege, but the Pro always had a very sporty image, especially the 99-03. Even in DX trim, my 03 looks hunkered down and ready for business.

Thin-skinned? While the Pro is a small car, it does fairly well for its class in crash tests, which would suggest anything but a thin skin. It doesn't even look thin-skinned. While lacking many of the creases and folds of the 3, the Pro definitely has a muscular shape which has aged very well in the 5 years its been on the road. I'm not confident that the 3's design will age as well. Understated and classy usually hold up longer than flashy and trendy, just the nature of things.
  • Options
    We did a drive by at Millennium Mazda this afternoon. My wife liked the hatch quite a lot, but not the sedan (they only had one which was black). I agree with her. The hatch is definitely the best looking. I liked it better than I thought I would from the pictures (I had the same experience with the RX-8). The sedan looks like a mini 6 in the front and a mini Passat in the rear -- a weird combination.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    weren't very favorable. There are those that say they changed it in the final refresh but no one bothered to test it.
  • Options
    I didn't say the pro is thin skinned, only that it looks it. it looks like an econo box. and in my eyes the design couldn't have aged well as it was a bland car to begin with and will forever be that.

Just my 2 cents on my 03 ES.

Still shocked someone could say a pro looks muscular. Wow, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    In fact, the Protege rated an "Acceptable" from the IIHS. I would say that is better than "weren't very favorable." The scale is:

Good
    Acceptable
    Marginal
    Poor

That puts the Protege in the upper half of the scale. Mind you, it's no Volvo S80, but for a small car, it does pretty well.