Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    My wife couldn't believe they charged more for the chrome wheels on the P5. She thinks they look really cheap. I don't like them at all either. My car had them, but I had the dealer swap them with another car on the lot.
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    You are dead on on that... Cavalier's are like driving a blender.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I liked the wheels, front end, and hood of the 2001 better than my 1999 DX. They made the styling sportier, and more European in my opinion.

I just happend to like the stereo better in the DX than my 2001 ES. It was crap!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Saw your post over on the P5 board...

Where the heck have you been? Hope everything's okay.

Or did you just suddenly get a life, unlike the rest of us? :)

--Dale
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    a friend has a Cavalier, their first new car, very cheap interior materials. Ride and power is the pits. I noticed alot of road noise and rattles. Very small interior, no head room. Probably, IMO the worst econobox on the road. I see alot of very young(early 20s) women driving Cavaliers.

Pjd58
    pjd:

Most of my driving lessons last year were in a Cavalier. Aside from the fact that the seat belt was WAY too tight, I never really did figure out what to do with my left leg/foot (and I'm only 5'3"). There was almost no leg room.

While the dealer was breaking...I mean fixing...my car a couple of weeks ago, I got the privilege of driving a Cav for the day. After I started it up for the first time, I almost jumped out and ran after the car rental lady. "Wait," I was going to say, "This car sounds like it's going to explode!" I gave it a couple of minutes, and then decided that's what it probably was supposed to sound like. VERY grabby brakes, very bad on corners.

Made me appreciate the Pro that much more when I got it back.

And no, I'm not trying to start a big Cav vs. Pro debate. I'm sure if anyone here owns a Cavalier, theirs is the best car that was ever manufactured. It's certainly not the car for me, however.

:)

--Dale
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Dale, did I ever tell you about my 93 Cavalier and how it kicks a$$ over every new car on the road?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    >>Dang people.... don't you all have jobs???

ROFL!!!!

(Um, not sure if you'll be #1 tomorrow, but my sense is that you are neck and neck with Infiniti G35 - where maybe they don't have jobs either!)
    Damn, boy, if it's that good, maybe I should consider buying one, after all. Perhaps I'll trade in my 2000 ES for a 93 Cav.

What options should I be looking for?
    Vanishing torque engine
    Super squish suspension
    Ultra no pad seats
    Body gaps like W Virginian teeth
    Leaks like a tin roof
    You'd better duck, Tim...

Every West Virginian out there is getting ready to pelt you with their ultra no pad seats...
    I'm taking my chances that the computer literacy rate there is below average.
    Well, this is rapidly turning into Roadside Cafe...and since I've seen the kinds of things you folks talk about over there, I'm going to steer us delicately back on topic.

This is the probably the most stupid question ever, but that never stopped me before.

I've been reading here and there about people with 5-speeds using brakes to slow down versus letting the engine (transmission?) doing the work. Consensus seems to be that brakes are preferable.

What about with an automatic transmission? I know that the two are fundamentally different, so maybe (probably) this doesn't even apply. But just in case it does, what's the verdict?

--Dale
    Yeah, the Cafe tends to be more like seaside pub. Bunch of sailors in there...hehehe.

As far as engine braking, I tend to do it out of habit. I like to keep the engine wound up and ready to launch out of a turn or from a rolling stop.

It didn't seem to have an adverse effect on engines or clutches. My last high-miler was my 87 Jetta that I sold in great condition with 187k miles. Since then I haven't kept my cars quite as long so I couldn't tell you if it hurt them.
    your banter is better than Abbott& Costello:)

Dale: Anyone who uses their clutch to slow down their car is just looking for maintance problems alot sooner. Brakes are used to slow down a car, not the tranny. Only under extreme conditions...snowy roads, very steep down grades etc. do I ever use the clutch to slow down. Basically use the clutch to slow down your car only when you need to have control due to the hazardous road conditions. When I was younger some of my friends downshifted all the time and kept the clutch engaged at stop lights, and needed to replace their clutch often.

With Auto trannys you can throw it into 2nd under hazardous conditions. The best advice is drive your car under control at all times and leave plenty of distance between you and the other bozos on the road.
    All of this is my .02 and only my opinion, some may disagree.

Pjd58
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Surprised me how quickly they came in. A little history. I ordered the Mazda MP3 rear speakers for my 2001 ES. Well, it turns out they are Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X698s. These go for $199 from Crutchfield. Mazda list price is $155. I got them from mazdadiscountparts.com for $138.20. I feel like I got very lucky. I thought I was going to get ripped off buying them through Mazda, but apparently I saved about $60! I'll post pics when I have them installed, probably Thursday.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    They came with Mazda install instructions as well. Can anyone tell I am excited?!
    Guys:

Thanks for your prompt replies, but I'm still a little confused.

So I'm in stop-and-go traffic, auto tranny, and cars up ahead are starting to slow down.

Do I:

A) Immediately begin a slow brake

B) Take my foot off the gas and coast for as long as I can before gently braking

Again, I know it's a stupid question, but that's me...pretty damned clueless:)

And congrats on your speakers, Boggse.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    PJD58,

Maybe i read your email wrong, but i don't understand what you mean when you refer to "using the clutch" to brake. If you are talking about utilizing the gears (downshifting with a manual) to slow down a car, I fail to see how that affects the clutch other than the second or so it takes to downshift. There is absolutely nothing wrong with downshifting to slow down a car. This is the whole concept of having a manual transmission as opposed to a computer controlled automatic.

Look, i could write a lot here about how what you said made no sense, but you did say it was your opinion so i won't flame you to infinity and beyond. I'm thinking that maybe some of your friends blew out their clutches because of the way they shifted and utilized the clutch as opposed to downshifting....
    I pick B.

Pjd58