Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    First, my symaphies to Dale as well. Despite the situation being hilarious, I'm sure it wasn't an enjoyable thing to endure. But hey, at least you have a great story to share!!
    Rbrooks,

Not sure if the cruise control is the same on your car 2002 as it is in the 2000. If they are, maybe this will help.

In order to turn the cruise control on, you have to push the button in, that is located at the end of the cruise contol knob. With this now pressed in, the cruise control system is engagaged, but not yet "set". Once you reach your desired speed, i believe you have to click the knob and shaft downwards to set the speed. The cruise control should then engage immediately and a little green light will show on the dash controls that it is set. Have you tried that?

If you then manage to set the desired speed, but have to brake, the system will remember the setting, but disengage the actual cruise control. You would then need to push the knob upwards for the car to resume it's previously set speed. In order to disengage and turn it off, you would need to push the button again at the end of the cruise control knob.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    >>>Nick, I got a couple of questions for you. My local B.J.'s Whole Sale Club is offering a $7.50 per tire discount on the BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 in stock. They are listed regular price of $73.99, not to bad.

*My out the door price:
    $73.99 per tire
    -$7.50 discount
    -----
    $66.49 x %6.0 PA sales tax= $70.48
    ------
    $70.48 and $10.55 total install fee (mount, balance, new stems, and disposal of old tire)=$81.03

*$81.03 total per tire<<<<

Excellent price...i paid $73.99 + 9.99 wheel deal + 6% tax....wish I had waited 3 months ;)

Ok, B.J.'s only carry this tire in the 205/55-15 size.

1.)How do your 205/55-15's tires fit?
    Perfect fit

2.)How do the 205/55-15's tires look?
    Check out the pictures link in Yahoo groups.
    The look awesome, especially from the rear...FAT, PHAT....

3.)How did it fit on the OEM alloy wheel (rim fitment)?
    Perfect. if u read the Tire fitment Handbook that u can find at the BJ's store, Michelin/BFG recommends this tires as "Plus 0" size for our car.

4.)Any issue's with tire clearance in sharp turns or bouncing roads?
    None whatsoever.

5.)What are your impressions of the 205/55/15 V-rated(BFG Touring T/A V4) tires, you purchased?
    Overall good tires.
    Reduced vibrations and noise on rough roads.
    cuts through water puddles cleanly...used to feel a huge drag on the RE-92.
    I maintain a 30 PSI pressure and the car now feels like a econo-luxo-sedan, especially in the passenger seat since u no longer feel the sharp bumps that make ur teeth grind.(I can now compare the ride,make that bump, quality with my friends Honda Accord 2001 EXV6.)

6.)Nick, any comments or tips would really be appreciated!
    I have found that I can spin the tires If I lead foot at stop signs on wet roads....and also if I have to execute an immediate takeoff from a traffic signal into a left/right turn.

I never hydroplaned with the RE-92 poortenzas....nor with these.....never got the chance....always drove (still drive) carefully in wet, especially on descending ramps....maybe I don't have the courage to test tires at my expense ;) since common sense tells me that any vehicle is prone to slip&slide when u speed & brake aggresively while descending on ramps / bridges.

Best of luck!!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    no worries...laugh away.

That's what I'm here for...to provide a constant source of amusement, since I'm not a gearhead :)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Posts: 102
    look at the bright side...at least the windshield didn't leak!

rbrooks: i've got a 2001, which uses the cruise control stick vs the buttons in the 2002. however, whenever i set my cruise control, i just flick the stick and it sets...no need to hold it in for a couple seconds...hope everything works out!

'duh'
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I have the 5-speed, so I'm not sure on how the Pro's cruise works. However, I know that in my dad's '91 MPV, you had to press the "cruise control" power button, then get to the desired speed, and then push the "set" button in for a second or two...not just click it.

For anybody who has the cruise control working, how is it? I know in the old MPV, it was terrible on hills, as it would lose 10 km/h before trying to get back up to the "set" speed.
    Ahhhhhh, i wasn't aware that the 2002's have the dreaded "Ford-like" buttons on the steering wheel set-up.... I hate the way Ford does that and how the Tribute inherited them. The cruise control stick configuration is great.

Rbrooks,

Doesn't look like my comments will help you much. sorry....
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Does the word CRUISE appear on your instrument panel when you press the power-on button?

I usually hold the Set button a second or two 'til it engages. Maybe you are pressing the Decelerate button?

You have to be above 40mph to use the cruise control.

fowler3
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I have a 2002 pro. I just turn on the main power button, then push the set button. Used it this morning, and don't recall having to hold the button down to get it to work. I will try it at lunch and see what I get.
    but on some long trips where we have, the cruise control works great. both uphills and down.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Drain plug: as best as I can tell the 1.6 and 1.8 have a drain plug on the Trans pan. Your best bet is to get under there and look. If not, you remove all the bolts to drain the fluid...messy.

Bearings: They are all sealed; no need to re-pack.
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    If you have a 5 speed and you are using your cruise control don't slip it out of gear. The cruise doesn't detect that it's out of gear and brings up the throttle.

(I was experimenting last night)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Posts: 102
    tim: yea, the cruise control in the '02 is button type now. i think they wanted the steering column to look less cluttered, since mazda has now made the 3 spoke "racing" wheel standard in all '02 pros. personally, i like the stick vs the buttons also...IMO, it's more intuitive to use!

mike: u can get cruise control with the 5 spd (like mine). it works fine on the pro...speed control is kept fairly constant on hills. a lot better than my bro-in-laws '96 civic (which did the same thing as your dad's MPV)

'duh'
    Then I wonder if it's an ES vs. LX difference. There was no mention to me of optional cruise control. However, I still don't think I would have taken it...I was (am) on a limited budget and that would have put me up more money than I had.
    Cruise was standard on the 2000 LX which is the ES for that year here in Canada. I didn't actually want it as a feature, but didn't have the choice.

Back in 2000, you had the LX (ES) Protege, the SE Pro and the DX Pro. They changed that from 2001 forward.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    I pulled the trigger on 2 sets BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 tires. My OUT-THE-DOOR price for the tires, lifetime rotations, flat repairs, new valve stems, environ & disposal taxs/fees, mount and balance, yada yada was $324.12 per set of 4. I got both sets installed this morning. BJ's Club was a better deal than TireRack, National chains or the local yocals could do for a V-rated all-season performance tire. Meade, thanks for helping keep my sense of humor during my search and Nick, your "real life" history with the 205-55vrs size tire gave me the confidence to finally pull the trigger on the BF Goodrich tires.

-Larry
    I've the '01 LX 2.0...there was the SE below and the ES above my model.
    yes, that's right. From 2001 they have aligned the models like the US. Could never understand why we had the LX and the US called it the ES. Now, they are the same although i do believe some of the standard features in the models vary between Canada and the US.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    After all that -- Goodrich T/As? What made you decide on them?

Meade
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Price was important, also. The 205/50HR15 Dunlop SP Sport A2 from TireRack would have cost me, installed $897.46 for 8 tires. The 8 BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 tires cost me $648.24 Out the Door! A difference of $249.22. BTW, Consumer Reports Ranks the BF Goodrich Touring All-Season above ANY Dunlop Tire? Nonetheless, If money was equal, I would have ordered the 205/50HR15 Dunlop SP Sport A2's from TireRack, because I do believe they are a tad better. Again Meade, a sincere thank you for sharing your opinions and tire buying experience with me. $249.22 is a fair amount of cash.

-Love Train