Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I have been to the largest Mazda dealer's business six times in the past three weeks and they haven't sold a single Protege from the first shipment. All the Pros they had I photographed several times on Sundays when no sales people were around. Must be hard to deal with. But the other dealer, in High Point, NC, sold only 4 last month, so he said.

Not to worry, the Honda dealer has about 40 Civics he hasn't sold. They stretch in a line side-by-side for about 200 feet. I'd hate to be paying interest on those.

Could you guys answer a couple questions?

What is the small button on the shifter? And what are the vent slots in the sunshade for? I have never noticed those on other cars with moon roofs.

fowler3
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    Assuming you're referring to an AT, it does the same thing as "D3" and "D4" on a Honda. Instead of having two positions, "D3" and "D4", Mazdas (and Toyotas, etc.) have only "D". The small button toggles between O/D off (D3) and O/D on (D4).
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    But I'd be interested to know what kind of stuff everyone's been able to tote around in their Protege.

My most recent vehicle, prior to my 2000 Protege ES, was a 1994 Mazda (built by Ford = piecajunk) pickup. So I was used to hauling basically whatever I want, when the damned thing was running.

I surprised myself a few weekends ago by being able to place a Type 1A (heavy duty) 6-foot fiberglass stepladder in my Protege, with the back seats folded down, and SHUT THE TRUNK to take it home. And no, I didn't have to recline or slide the front passenger seat forward -- my pregnant wife rode home from Home Depot with me and the ladder.

Another amazing tidbit -- I went to Lowe's about a month ago and purchased FIVE 4x8 sheets of OSB (which aren't too lightweight), along with eight 8-foot 2x2s. Of course, I had to have the OSB cut into thirds (it was OK, I was flooring my attic), but with all that weight (and mine too -- check out my photo on Prototech; I'm not a lightweight either) the car did fine. (Well, my ES rode and handled like a Buick Roadmaster, but it made it home OK!!!)

Anyone else stretched the limits of Protege utility?

Meade
  • norcannorcan Posts: 72
    Yep, let's see. Beginning of March, me and 2 of my neighbours headed off to Costco. Put into trunk: 4-40 lb boxes of kitty litter, 6 cases of 24-cans pop, 6 jugs of juice, 2 cases of laundry detergent, and about 10 bags of groceries. I still had my curling broom and a small shovel in back. Closed the trunk with room to spare.

With 3 adults and trunk loaded handling didn't seem to be affected at all, plus I saw my ES reflected in the Costco building as we pulled out of the lot and the back end of the car looked normal.

Meade. Re. Sun shade vents - good question, need to ask someone with Mazda insight, right maltb?

Trunk lock - I'll ask again, why the air space around the lock?
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    I made it to North Carolina and back this weekend. Got caught in the traffic on 95S on Friday afternoon when a truck full of treated sewage spilled south of Fredericksburg. Yuck. Stop and go for three hours. Protege ran wonderfully, no complaints. Saw a 2001 Millenium Red Pro ES in Virginia from Quebec! He was a long way from home. That's the second ES I've seen so far.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I took home a new front door from Home Depot the other day. Although I couldn't fit it all the way in, a ratcheting tie down kept it from coming out. I have the same problem as you Meade. After coming out of a truck, I don't consider what I purchase. I buy it, take it out to the car, scratch my head for a minute, load it up somehow and go.

My guess is that the sunshade vents allow you to tilt the glass up and keep the shade closed.

Norcan, explain your trunk loch question. The only time I worry about ice is when I go to the quicky mart and hope that they have ice in the soda machine.

:)
    Hmmmmmm, there's a wee space around the loch, it's just floating i'there I tell ye. Take a closer looch.
    I'll take a look at lunch.

Note to Malt:
    LLL (look lock lunch)

This issue may be as elusive as the beast of Lochness.

Can you tell I suffer from sleep deprivation?

I love the humor here. Just go read another topic -- this one looks more like a fraternity -- or even maybe a family. It has ... dare I say ... SOUL!

Aye, I doon't recall any wee bit o'space arewnd mah loch, man, but I'll lewk latair fer ye.

One little idiosyncracy that did take me by surprise occurred this past Sunday when I was installing new license plates on my Protege. The two threaded holes for the trunk-mounted plate go right through to the trunk! My original plan was to take off the old plate and wash the car so I could clean off the grit and dirt that had built up behind the plate, but I had to block the holes with the screws so I didn't shower the trunk! I guess this is common on many cars, but it just kind of surprised me -- kinda makes me want to put some silicone or something in there with the screws so moisture doesn't weep its way in there.

Norcan, I wasn't the one who asked about the sun shade vents, but I agree with your idea.

Sfrat! You drove right by me here in Richmond! If there's a next time, let me know ahead of time and we'll meet up somewhere.

Norcan, I don't know how long you've been on this topic, but last winter I discovered a neat feature about our Proteges that involves icing in another way. I had the misfortune to turn on my windshield wipers to try and clear ice (no snow, just ice) off my windshield, not realizing that the wiper blades themselves were frozen to the windshield. I saw them move about 1/4 inch and stop, the motor obviously straining to pull them free. By the time I stopped the car on the side of the road and freed them manually, they wouldn't move at all. I tried turning the switch off and on for at least a minute or two. "Damn," I thought, "I've burned up my wiper motor." ... or at least blown a fuse. Nope, all the fuses were fine. Oh well, I thought, back to the dealership. Just as I was beginning to fabricate a tall but believable tale so I could get the motor covered under warranty, I tried the wiper switch one more time. Swish swish!!! (Not to be confused with ZOOM ZOOM, of course.) They were back! There must be an overload protection feature in the wiper circuit that resets itself after a few minutes. They've worked fine ever since!

Meade
    Meade. Sorry, you're right, sunshade was fowler3's question. Talk about out to lunch.

Re. wipers, I sure hope the motors are protected because I do that all the time - turn the wipers on without checking if they're frozen. I hate when that happens :(

Pro'ers, IMO, the red is absolutely gorgeous, saw it when I first went looking, a 2001 ES with a 'sold' sign in the showroom. It sold me! Only reason I didn't get same was that my last 2 cars were 'reddish'. Just haven't seen one on the road yet. Of course, I also like black, silver, sand, seagreen, etc :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I am sitting in M.I.S. class right now and I can't help but go to the edmunds board. This is much better than class. All this talk about ice and winter needs to stop. We had one of the worst winters ever here and its just starting to go away. I wish the only ice I needed to worry about was the ice for my soda. It may be soon, because I am looking for jobs in So. Cal. right now. Hope the "rolling blackouts" go away soon. I guess its better than the whiteout we get here for about 6 months of the year. I'm getting ready to wax my car for the first time, any technique/wax recommendations for a silver car would be helpful. 3 zooms.
    to see the power go out here. It appears that the ISO is careful about switching off areas of large business populations. I think it's a big PR blitz to keep more people from coming to California.

Uuu-uu-hh-hh...oo-ooo-o-h-hhh-hh-h-hh-hh...Itt f-eells ll-llik-ke a-an 8.5 earthquake....

See how it works?

Everybody here tells me "have fun in California with no electricty" or "have fun in California when they have an earthquake" or "have fun in California with all the "gangsters". I'm not worried though. I did a city comparison on MSN between Minneapolis and Compton,CA for fun. Mpls. has the same violent crime index (both are much worse than the national average), and significantly higher property crime index than Compton! I couldn't believe it! I thought Compton was the nation's armpit. And the ratings show that San Diego is a much safer city than Mpls, and that is where I want to live.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    Zaino.
    fastdriver "Zaino Car Care Experiences - Part 2" Apr 10, 2001 10:39am

BTW, San Diego is a very nice place to live, if you can afford it.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    Yeah, that wiper relay resets itself after about 5 minutes. Nice feature.
    The only thing I can think of is they vent the space between the shade and the glass so heat build-up doesn't cause the shade to pop out (down).
    There has to be a tremendous amount of heat in that air space at times.

Over on the BMW 3 boards, several 330i owners are advising prospective buyers not to buy the moon roof. They had them on previous cars and never used them. Ditto for me, too. I never used sun roofs on two cars. Forgot them most of the time.

Enjoyed the MAPP pics on ProtoTech. Copied two to my hard disk. Hope you don't mind? I live in NC, but use to live in VA.

By the way, I did own a GLC, one of the first, the Special Edition hatchback in silver.

fowler3
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    on it they were driving Humvees and the "drill instructors" asked some recruits what cars they drove.. one of them said "Mazda Protege ES 1999" just like that.. no one else gave anything as specific... So who loves their Protege!!!!
    ... I had an Audi Fox, though smaller than a Protege, its trunk could hold quite a bit of stuff.
    For a camping trip it held: a two-man inflateable boat; two paddles and folding tent; two duffle bags of clothing; two sleeping bags; a 12 gal. ice chest; two lanterns and portable radio (large); food containers with pots and pans;a two-burner stove; and a two gal water jug. No cargo in the passenger compartment. No folding seats.

fowler3
    Has anyone removed any badges on their protoge? I wanted to remove the "protoge" and "mazda" (not the flying M) badge from the trunklid and was wondering if those badges had posts that went into the sheetmetal or if they were just simply attached with adhesive. MaltB knows this.
    I went out and checked, and those badges do have posts into the sheetmetal. I felt them in the trunk. Dangit!
  • Man, I don't check in for a while and I'm 200 messages behind. So here are some comments on some of the posts i just waded through:

Vocus mentioned that his blue headlights didn't work well in the rain. Blue light is scattered more than other wavelengths, so in hazy atmosphere, its light disipates. That's why amber sunglasses cut glare better and some foglights are yellow.

It's a good sign when most of the complaints on pros are about the cd player and minor sounds.

It's nice that cars come in different colors, and the pro looks good in all of them. But jstandefer is correct, classic red is best.

Tire sizes are approximate. They vary not only by manufacturer but also by model.

The '73 civic had a 1150cc engine. It was my first new car and a little sweety. Like the pro, it seemed bigger inside than out.

Yours in Zoomitude
    OF COURSE I don't mind you using my pics! In fact, check out what somebody else has done with some of my pics from Prototech:

http://www.geocities.com/firstgenprotege/meadesproteges/index.htm

By the way, James, I read in your profile that you're a graphic designer working for an ad agency. I'm a Mass Communications grad (Virginia Commonwealth University) and work in Public Relations, designing newsletters and doing some small-time graphic design myself. I live in Midlothian, a suburb of Richmond about 15 miles southwest of downtown. I have a few friends in the Charlotte area, and we rent a house at the Outer Banks once a year. Where do you live? We may get a chance to run into each other sometime ...

Meade

Everyone! There may be hope for the Protege once Ford gets its hands on it! Check out this morning's article from autonews.com, and note how MAZDA -- NOT FORD, THANK GOD -- will be building the four-cylinder engines for the next-generation 323 model!

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/focus409.htm

Saints be praised, I'm hopin' this is true!!! Please, please, please!!!

Meade

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Meade, I checked that website with your cars' pictures on it. It said, under the LX with 83K on it, you got rid of that one to get the 2000 ES. Any avid reader of Town Hall knows that isn't true. The person forgot to mention the "piecajunk B2300" as you call it. Just thought I would say something. :)

I took my car in for its first service yesterday, at 2830 miles. They did an oil change, filter, and reset the alignment for me as well. Was going to add a cargo net, but they said since the one I got wasn't factory, they wouldn't add it for me. That sucks! Anyway, my driver's seat springs squeak in the lower cushion (already!) and they can't do anything about it. I am not happy about it at all, but I just turn up the radio and keep on ZOOM ZOOMing! :)
    they wouldn't give you a new seat? my man.. argue til you turn blue..
    I don't know if I want them to give me a new seat though. See, it's not that easy. I have the side air bags, and they are in the seatback sides. It might affect their performace or something, if they change out the seat. I did think about calling Mazda customer service though, especially since the car has less than 3000 miles on it.
    First, my 1992 LX had a bum seat too -- they can replace the bottom cushion (I assume that's where it's squeaking) and leave the rest of the seat intact. They did it for me.

Concerning the site with my pics on it, I figure why spoil a good story with my piecajunk truck? Let 'em believe I've had three Pros-in-a-row!

ZOOM ZOOM SQUEAK!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help that)

Meade
    I never knew they could just replace the bottom cushion and not the whole seat. I will suggest that to my service advisor when I speak to him today.
    and besides, wouldn't they give you a seat with the side airbags installed? Its like if you get in an accident and the airbags go off.. they have to rewire it so it goes off the next time.. I doubt Mazda would mess that up..
  • groharlemgroharlem Posts: 59
    Yeah, i heard them say that too. They were saying "99 Protege ES identified", then they identified some other car. I was like "WTF"!! I was hoping they'd do something with it, but of course they didn't :(

It was pretty cool though hehe.....That show is actually pretty decent. I hate temptation island, and survivor, but boot camp is more like watching a gladiator show with a massive team. They do kinda make it a lil' dramatic though, which is kinda stupid, but oh well.