Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The Neon has a 4-speed unit now, but the car is still a POS. My ex-roomie had one, in the shop 13 times in a year for a different thing each time. Ugh.

Ok, so you get to pick the car and the color of your wife's car? Shoudln't she at least get to pick the color if you get the car you want? It's only fair. :)
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I don't like the rubber tranny shifter handle on my 99ES(Auto).

Are there any aftermarket available that I can use?
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    Yes, the Neon is indeed a POS. This little boy racer somehow managed to install a dual exhaust and huge oversize wing on the back of the car. I think he was a little shocked at the Pro's highway pick-up. He started tail-gating me at 130km on the 407. Tail-gaters and people who don't signal, aggravate me to no end. Anyway, I moved over lanes so he could pass and the little [non-permissible content removed] pulls over right behind me and continued to tail-gate me with a grin on his face. He quit doing that at about 170km when he was about 4 car lengths back and shaking back and forth all over the lane. Then i went back down to my 130 cruising and laughed at him as he passed by. He wouldn't even look at me...poor kid.
    Made me feel kind of like a teenager again. It was fun.

Mind you, made me wish i was in the WRX. My favorite thing to do to young kids in Hondo Si's and other cars who think they can actually race the WRX is to purposely keep the revs down below 3,2000rpm or so, by jumping into a higher gear than necessary. Like being in 5th gear at 70km or so. At this level the turbo is just starting to spool, but is not really active yet. I like to keep it close and stay maybe a car length, or half car length behind. Then, suddenly, I drop the REX down into 3rd or 4th gear, the Turbo goes nuts and shoots the car forward like a rocket (bat) out of hell. The dumbfounded look on many a Hondo driver's face is priceless as they watch kind of helplessly. This is rather easy to do because the WRX is horrible off the line and is a real tractor until the turbo starts spooling.

Maybe the new Pro will be a little similiar?? :)

P.S.- Yes, I guess i'll have to grin and bear it if the wife decides she wants orange. She loves the Protege and really liked the SiR, so it shouldn't take much to convince her about the car though.
    I don't know if there are any available for the auto, but Mazda has ton's of them for the 5spd.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Please stop talking about the WRX...you're making me drool... :)
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I'd imagine the Mazdaspeed 3 will have some lag, of course. Plus, the compression ratio will probably be reduced to make it safer to put under boost. If so, power will be down with respect to the NA 2.0 until the turbo spools up. On the other hand, at 170 hp, boost levels are probably fairly moderate, relatively speaking, so I'm guessing it won't be too bad. Not as big a thrust, though, as say the WRX - 227 hp from a 2.0 flat 4. Then again, it is really all relative. The trubo thrill sometimes has more to do with that thrust forward as the turbo spools up than with any absolute acceleration numbers. Of course, the WRX has both. We shall see for the Mazdaspeed 3.

Speaking of the WRX, yes, please stop bringing it up. ;-) That's the car I was aiming to buy, but my finances came up short. Next time. For now, at least I'm saving some fuel and pollution, and probably some points on my drivers license too! :-)
    Yes, I've been lucky to date. Haven't had a speeding ticket since i was 21. Knock on wood....I try and pick my spots to speed. I don't do it all the time. :)

Blame my ramblings on the Tylenol 3's and codeine effect. I ripped up the ligaments in my left ankle playing hockey yesterday. It's a grade 2 sprain. I'm all doped up....more than usual even.... Hey, did someone say DacQuiri. The spelling was for Meade. :)
    and it's just not fun having to use the clutch with a sprained ankle. I think i will actually be driving my wife's Protege until this heals because the clutch engagement is much lighter and smoother than in the WRX. Oddly, she prefers driving the Protege, so i guess I got me some convincing ta do......
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    From what I hear it won't have much lag. The idea is that by setting up the turbo properly, you can have a very streetable car. If it doesn't have the same or better low end as the current ES, they won't sell it. Just misc rambling that I heard.
    Why don't you just let the wife drive the WRX and you drive the Protege then? That's another reason why I like automatic, because if I would hurt my left foot I could still be able to drive.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Even if only 80% of that is available below 2500rpm, that's good thrust-to-mass for EASY daily driving.
    That's pretty weird, because the standard 2.0 ES has 135 lb./ft. I think. You would think adding a turbocharger would add more torque than that. Guess not though.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    That Mazda turbo is one ugly car.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Beauty is not only skin deep.
    With a relatively modest ~40 hp, ~20 lb-ft gain, I'm guessing the turbo is relatively small (don't know enough about T25 Garrett Turbo to know for sure) - so I'm guessing it is set up to spool quickly = minimal lag and good low-end, rather than using a bigger turbo with more boost, but also more lag, not to mention more stress on the engine and more money. It's no going to do 0-60 in the mid to high 5's like the WRX, but I'll bet lag will be less with more low-end power - similar to the VW 1.8T in Paul's Jetta? The VW 1.8T produces 180hp IIRC.

Oops, that time I brought up the WRX, and the Jetta. Sorry.

I noticed it adds about 200 lbs to the car. Not bad.
    Actually, other than the orange paint, I think it looks pretty good.
    Doesn't it look just like an MP3, except for the colour and badges??
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    You're probably right. Just ignore me, as usual :)

Gandalf: Really sorry to hear about your injury...those things can take a while to heal. Be good to yourself, and take it easy on the Dakkerries!

--Dale
    Just read the protegetech info more in detail:

First, the engine compression ratio stays at 9.1:1, as with the NA 2.0. So no adverse affect to engine off-boost (low-end) performance. That's the good news. Hence the "modest" power gains. On a related note, I would be hesitant, based upon that fact, to do the usual tuner thing and up the boost on the turbo a whole bunch.

Now for the bad news. Only two color options to be had, according to their info: Black, and vibrant orange. Doh! Maybe (hopefully?) their info is mistaken, or Mazda will have a change of heart.
    That would look incredible....when clean that is!!!