Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• snagy1snagy1 Posts: 55
    hi again, any suggestions on cleaning the sliding sunscreen by the moonroof. does the moonroof tilt up so that i can clean all the dust and krud out ?

thanks
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The moonroof does tilt up, but you probably won't be able to fit your hand in there.
    yeah, i tried to squeeze a moist towel up there and can't reach much, was hoping someone else has a dirty sunscreen. the dealer never had a request of this. i was going to try compressed air and see what that does.
    Do you mean the inside of the sunshade? Who cares if it's dirty, no one sees it anyway...
    maybe my sunroof is not tinted as much as others, cause it is visible real easy. there's dust and dead bee's and just junk in general from having the sunroof open.
    The Protege's sunroof is not tinted dark, it's tinted as much as the side glass is. This makes no sense to me, because one would think you would want the sunroof tinted darker to keep out heat and UV rays.

They leave it clear so they can call it a "moonroof", measning you can see through it.
    mine appears to be pretty clear. when i have the sunroof in the tilt position which is what i normally do at highway speeds, i can easily see the junk i am trying to get rid of. i just realized i might be able to use a "computer shop vac" from our office, it has a small attachment and a 2 foot hose which should work.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    take the car with the sunroof and windows open to a carwash :)

Inside joke - sorry Dale! It was too easy.

Dinu
    Even if you opened the sunroof, the shade would be in the roof, so it wouldn't help. :0
  • I've noticed that the sunroof in my 02 SI is tinted darker than almost any other car I've had. Or maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention to the other sunroofs. It does make a difference though .. it's not nearly as hot inside the car if I forget to close the sunroof shade.

Since the 04 Protege's are only about 9-10 months away are there any prelim stats on them?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    I'll get you back one of these days.

:)

--Dale
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    are about a year away, but things are very hush hush about what it will look like. The talk says that it will be better in every way...no first hand knowledge though.
  • The Protege name will be dropped for the next generation and the car will instead be called the Mazda3. I believe the car will be debuting(sp?) at the Tokyo Motor show in about a month. Reports say the car looks a lot like the RX-8 and I have seen a few pretty convincing pictures and they look amazing. Keep an eye out everyone.
  • Man, I just posted a little note in the Civic forum where they were bashing the C&D review of the Protege' LX, calling C&D a trash publication?

They attacked me like I was stealing their first born child for god sake!

I'd say folks are fairly nervous these day as their Honda's design into snooze mode.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • I thought it was great that the Protege was once again Car & Driver's #1 pick in the subcompact car category...Here it is in its 5th and final year of the current generation and it still beat the all-new Corolla, Civic etc...The only big criticism, if I recall correctly, was that they rated fuel economy in the same league as 10th place Kia--I guess that's bad!

As for the 2004 Mazda 3, I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I'm sure lots of us have seen pictures of the Mazda 2 (Europe)...It's got a Mazda 6-like interior. I'm betting the 3 will be much the same...
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    those crushed milkshake cups do look bad on your sunscreen, get'um out? Very messy! LOL!

meinrad, no buzzards yet, I keep looking.

The only car I ever had to replace a clutch in was the 1986 Accord at 38,000 miles. Must have been due to holding it in at traffic lights. I remember the Audi dealer telling me to shift to nutral at all traffic lights to prevent early clutch replacement in the Fox. They make them better now.

The Accord clutch went out as I was on a bypass around Lynchburg, Va. (Meadball's old hometown). Fortunately, I was able to make it into town to the
    dealer I bought it from. It was 4:30PM and they closed at 5:00PM. Great dealer! They kept two service techs overtime, had a replacement clutch in stock, and had me back on the road by 7:00PM - $300.

fowler3
    Go Angels!
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    what ru doing up so late?
  • dermendermen Posts: 31
    I took your advice and played 9 holes today. I did pretty bad(61) but it was 40 degrees outside and I've only been playing for a month. My personal best is 111 for 18 holes.

What do you guys think of the auto dimming mirror with compass and temp. display? I am thinking about getting one because I have a 10% off parts coupon. When I flip the thing on my mirror I see the reflection of the roof of my car better than I can see anything behind me.
  • I'll wager they go all the way.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    10th
    Kia Spectra
    Verdict: Why buy used when you can get brand new 80's sophistication?

9th
    Suzuki Aero
    Verdict: Part-time charmer, full-time nonconformist.

8th
    Nissan Sentra
    Verdict: Just the right couch for potatoes needing transist.

7th
    Dodge Neon
    Verdict: No longer cute, no longer crude, Neon settles for the committee approach.

6th (tie)
    Mitsubishi Lancer
    Verdict: Woderfully flingable machinery packed in an oddly shaped box.

6th (tie)
    Honda Civic
    Verdict: Something new from Honda...a loser.

4th
    Ford Focus
    Verdict: Lose the front seats, and we'd smile on this car.

3rd
    Toyota Corolla
    Verdict: Short-legged drivers will love this car, others will respect it.

2nd
    Hyundai Elantra
    Verdict: If you can find a better portfolio of feels and features at this price, buy it.

1st
    Mazda Protegé
    Verdict: A four-door Miata
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    now where's that ragtop version of our beloved Pro??? :-D
  • 1986 -- $300, I wonder what a clutch replacement on an Accord would cost today?
  • Here is a link to some images of our new 02 MPV along with our beloved 00 Protege' ES 5-Speed.

Look at that 00 ES shine!

Mark. : )

http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/index.php?board=26;action=display;threadid=1546

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    what a wonderful pic Mark :)

Dinu
  • I know the feeling. You have no idea how many times I buffed each vehicle prior to the shots. I must have moved them a dozen times in the driveway before getting my shots.

I still enjoy driving and buffing my Pro ES as much as the day I drove it off the lot. We purchased our MPV from the same rep as our Protege'. She had been expecting us!

Mark.
  • It's rare to be able to buy a car 2 years later from the same person who sold you one 2 years ago. Turnover in the automotive field is outrageous and I rarely get to use the same salesman twice.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    I was walking toward my car from my apt today, and what do you know, there it was, one of the residents' Protege parked right behind mine. It's an ES too!

So, to remember this wonderful occassion, I took a couple pics with my trusty digicam :)

(and no, that's not Meade :-D )

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Thanks for posting that. I think Car and Driver likes the Protege. Hmmm..."A 4 door Miata...with BMW verve" Could anything better have been said about my $15K car? I like it.
    Go Angels!

What a game huh? Whoda thunk they'd ever best the Yanks? I came through for you Todd, but it looks like your boys aren't going to get a chance at the angels.