Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I had a Greaaaaaat time this weekend driving my PRO over the windy and misty roads of the Appalachian Mountain Range. I was up at Wellsboro,PA - home to the Grand Canyon of PA.

Mileage: 31 miles/gallon with AC on.

I had my AC on all the time for my 5 hour trip(each way) to prevent fogging my windows due to the 100% humidity and trunk full of luggage.

This is really a miracle because on my last long trip,couple of months back, which was on plain jane flat roads, my Pro averaged not more than 27mi/gl.

So what was different this time?

Hey....I have a new transmission in my car.

Wow!! never thought my pro would break the 30mi/gl barrier, especially when the advertised mi/gl on my car was 24/29 -- city/hghwy.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    But isn't the Civic EX "faster" than the Pro in an all out "who's faster" comparison. I mean why argue between two cars which only have just enough power to get out of their own way.
    I mean look at the C&D 10 car comparison. Looks like the Hyundai is the speedster, absolutely killing the others. Maybe the Hyundai should have been the one with the "V" rated tires instead of the Aerio and Protege.
    Or the Corolla, near lowest hp fastest times and near Protege handling numbers on 65 series "S" rated tires.
    The underpowered argument is all relative.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It matters if it's a Civic or Porsche that's gonna rear-end you. You will get a better settlement from the Porsche driver! :) Just kidding.
  • My Pro can cruise happily at 80mph, climb mountain passes in the coast range at 70mph without kicking down into 3rd (it's an auto), and get on the freeway with no drama. It may not be extremely fast, but it's not underpowered.
    I used to have trouble merging in my DX Protege with the AC on. The ES was a little better, but not great. I had always had big V6s in my cars though, so going to a 4 was a change. The DX Pro did have better pickup than the Cavalier.

I won't bother to compare my current car with the Protege, since the turbo is (of course) going to make it alot faster.
  • ...is absolutely unbearably slow with more than two people in the car. With just one, the power is adequate. It's the only thing I really dislike about my car.
  • I agree the 1.6 is a little "challenged" (I had a '99 affectionately known as "the gutless wonder"!). The 2.0 liter is fine and all those maneuvers I described were with the a/c on.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    "They all have at least one thing about them that really sucks."

I looked at most of them before buying the 01 Pro LX, in MHO, they had ten or more things that sucked. Some times I wonder if the Japanese don't make most of these small cars for undersized people, not average USA folks.

the_big_H, hope you are keeping your head down when you buy gas!

fowler3
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    hiding inside the car while pumping gas!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    The tires also aid in the Pro's excellent handling. You could stick on tires that are not as low-profile with a lesser speed rating, but the P195/55R15's (at least on my LX 2.0) aren't just about speed rating. Handling, handling, and handling.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    Of course, my wife and daughter are much lighter than I.

Still, unless I've got the AC on, it's actually pretty good.

Not that I'd have turned down the upgrade on the engine to the 2.0L one, especially since the mileage ratings don't change that much.
    I had forgotten, you are right down there in all the sniper drama. I am not far away when at work (off 495, exit 19), but you are almost in the middle of it. With the one on Monday night, it happend less than 2 miles from my office mate's house.

I have even been on the watch when I have been getting gas lately. Totally scary stuff.
    i need to go get gas for the Protege today. Talk about anxiety and paranoia. I don't even know how to pump gas anymore!!!
    I know what you mean. I have a rental today, and picked it up last night with 1/4 tank of gas in it. I need gas now, after taking 90 mins. with the AC on to drive to work this morning. :( I will get in the car and make it as far North as I can before the gas light comes on before getting gas around here.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Can you goto a full serve place? Or are those not operating now because of all this?
    I don't think they even have full-serve stations down here anymore. If they do, I never see them.
  • Kudos to those that caught on to the question of perception. Good give and take, by all. As far as the street race: I wait until just before a good curve before I "floor it". The combination of me jumping the gun & the Pro's engineering gives me a head start. Then I watch in my rear view mirror as the red faced driver comes charging up/past. As we are at (or past) the posted speed by then, I let them go (leaving the perception that I am not going to risk a ticket).
    not around here. Only full service stations I've seen are in New Jersey, where it's the law....
    Me too.

The other day, a friend of mine was telling me that he was getting gas, and this handicapped woman was trying to get someone to come out and fill her tank for her. The guy inside said he couldn't leave right away, so my friend went ahead and started putting gas in the van.

I haven't seen full service except for in NJ either.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Er, you "have a rental today" ?????

Uh oh ... what's up now?

Meade
  • Thanks for the prompt, boggse. I reread the Consumer Reports Article on H rated touring tires last night. Thankfully my baby does not need new rubber yet. The decision of what is the "best" tire is still up in the air. I was reminded, though, that there is (in the same issue) another excellent article on tires (winter ones). If one lives where they are needed - the info could be a life saver.
  • Had occasion to turn on my emergency flashers, for a few seconds, this morning. To alert the drivers behind me, on the interstate, that they should wake up - potential problem looming ahead. As I turned them off, I thought - that move (to the switch) was automatic - good practice.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    GREAT move! I wish American and Canadian drivers would learn to do this when traffic on the highway suddently stops to alert those follwing to brake/give more room.

Same could be said for having your lights on when it rains and at nite, driving on the right hand lane except to pass and many other small things that could make driving much easier and pleasant.

Paul: What happened to the Jetta this time?

Dinu
  • He is probably having them put Audi logos on his Jetta, I mean you know, because they are the same car :D.
    But I too make VW and Audi jokes. My cousin is actually seriously considering a 99 A4 in 5spd for May 2004 when the lease on his Z24 runs out.

What should I tell him?

Dinu
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    ...that his Z24 is probably more reliable than the A4.
    but I think he needs to see a lot of horror stories to back down. He's pretty convinced this is THE car for him. Reminds me of a poster here that also went to the VW family and has had the opportunity to test-drive many vehicles since he took ownership of that car :)

I suggested a PRO ES, Accord 4cyl 5spd, but to no avail. I think it's more of a show-off case than anything else. Problem is the car will not be in warranty by May 2003...

I'll try pushing him into an Accord. He already said NO! to PROs, but likes the 6. Can't afford it though...

Dinu
    A dash vent roller thingie broke on one of the dash vents (I forced it, so I am the culprit). They looked at it more than a month ago when the car was in, and ordered a new vent for it. I just haven't had time to take the car back for service, because I have been pretty busy lately.

And the only problems I have had with the car have been rattles (workmanship). I could be like some other people and have had to have a new transmission put in my car. But anyway...
    According to the A4 forum here, those cars seem to be pretty reliable and rattle-free. I really like the A4 myself, but I promised myself I am keeping the VW until it's paid off (unless I get that big promotion at work - which is not gonna happen anytime soon I bet). :)