Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I believe the California law has to do with consumer protection, not emissions as the timing belt isn't really a piece of emissions equipment. A California Mazda dealer will still recommend the belt to be replaced at 60,000.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    60,000 miles!! Wow, that would be ten years from now considering my annual driving. A lot more would need changing before then.

On another note: When I pulled into my garage tonight, returning from dinner out, a neighbor came from across the street to ask, “How do you like your new Volvo?” She saw the Protegé's big taillights and thought it was a more expensive car.

I backed it out so she could look it over. She was very impressed saying, “I still think it is a luxurious car.” :D (She drives a 1997 Accord). She's right. I have owned three Accords and a '98 Odyssey and the 2001 Protegé is just as nice as those cars, better in many ways.

fowler3
    Some of you have talked about replacing the Bridgestone tires with other brands and sizes. To see what changes the 205's would make check out this tire calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

fowler3

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    what is the layer of material placeed on the firewall and under the hood supposed to be doing?

heat insulation or sound insulation?

and what is that material made of?
  • mosebymoseby Posts: 1
    Traded in my '99 ES in for a '01 ES 2.0 last week. Both black with 5spd manual - no ABS or side impact. New shifter is much better than old one. I'd say even better than shifter in my 93 Civic Si. Gearing and available torque in '01 is just right. The '99 had plenty of zoom above 3000 rpm, and could spin its wheels from a standstill, but was a bit short on torque coming out of corners. '99 was a nice apex carver but '01 ES has even sharper steering response.
    '01 soaks up bumps much better than '99. rear end of '99 was a bit difficult to control in panic stop without ABS. 4 wheel disc brakes on '01 correct that problem nicely, even without ABS. My '99 developed a bad case of door squeak and rattles. '01 is solid...so far. Additional insulation and Dunlop tires in '01 cut down but do not eliminate engine and road noise.
  • gitarzangitarzan Posts: 66
    I guess the material serves as an insulator for sound and heat, but I was told that if there is an engine fire, the connectors will melt and the stuff will drape over the engine hopefully retaining the fire.

I guess it's a fire insulator.

I don't know what it is made of.
    Will that be in and around VaTech?

I don't know anything about ’93 Proteges having just bought my second Mazda car in the past 20 years. Do you know who the previous owner (owners)
    was (were) and does he (they) have the service records? That would help if you could get that information.

Also, have a mechanic check the car over for you before buying it.

fowler3
    One other thing: Is the interior dirty, does it look abused, trashed? If so, you can be sure the engine and tranny got even worse treatment the past 75K.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Congrats on the "New" car. I think you are the 1st of the 99/00 owners to move up to the 2001 Protege. I hope you never receive 1st hand knowledge, nevertheless I believe the rear bumper on the 2001 is much better than the 1999. Enjoy, my friend.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    Has anyone noticed if their Pro is leaving a spot on floor. My 2k has twice left a grease spot with about 2 mos in between occurences. There is a bearing assembly that connects the joint shaft from the transaxle to the right drive shaft and I found the bracket that holds the bearing assembly to be wet from what appears to be grease. Maybe that bearing is packed with grease and the dust seals are leaking. I got appointment with dealer soon, but just wanted to know if anybody has had same thing. I wiped everything completely dry the first time I saw it, so more grease is getting there somehow.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Excuse me, WHO was the first to move up to the 2001 version from the 1999??? Maybe in the same trim level, but I was the first 2001 Protege owner to move up from a 1999 (even though it was a DX).

I got another scratch on the hood (someone keyed it) and it's pretty bad, right above the Mazda symbol on the grille. You can see it from like 10 feet away. Guess I will have to call the dealer about touch-up paint today then. :(
    Sorry about your scratch, know that hurts you more than the car. :(

Go to an arts supply store and buy a small, pointed brush. Use that with touch-up paint instead of the applicator that comes with it. An artist's brush lets you apply small amounts thinly, building it up until it is level with the original paint. Try to fill the scratched area only, no overlapping.

Avoid trying to do it quickly and putting on too much.

fowler3
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    The material found mounted to the underside of the hood is not a "fire blanket" as stated by so many salespeople. I'm surprised they're still using that. Everytime I went to any product knowledge training by GM, DaimlerChrysler, or Mazda, anyone that said it was a "fire blanket" got a big slap on the wrists!

It is strictly a noise insulator. If a fire occured and got hot enough to melt the plastic mounting tabs, I would be running from the car!

On another note... :-(
    Has anyone else changed their spark plugs yet? I replaced my factory plugs with Bosch +4's about two months ago. I have to say that low-end torque has been reduced, top-end performance has increased, and the engine surges during constant throttle between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm. I'm ready to go back with whatever the manual calls for as direct replacement for the OEM plugs. Anyone else experience anything like this before? Also, my fuel economy has seriously diminished!!! Either something's wrong or maybe 38K miles is just too much for this engine!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I wanted to see how far that one could go on. You really know how to spoil the party. Next you're going to tell us that the 10 yr dealer wax only lasts 6 months!

:)
  • sd1228sd1228 Posts: 46
    I have Mazda Protege LX, 1995 model
    And I was wondering if anybody has an idea
    if and how I can clean cloth upholstery seats.

I remember that once I did steam cleaning at
    local carwash but it was not at all useful.

(Also, is it possible to change the cloth ?
    and how ?)
    Thanks
    LOL @ maltb

Oh come on malt!!! Gee, what kind of dealers do you go to? I refuse to shop at one unless they offer 100yr dealer wax!!!! But only if they let me pay $1000 for it!!!
    No way! I had the 1999 DX (before my ES) and beat the hell out of it. Traded with 37.5K and it was fine, except for a little vibration (due to not changing the oil for 7500 miles at a pop).

Jerry, I had a tune-up (got it at Goodyear) and never had problems like that with my DX after it. Change those damn plugs out and get the OEM ones! You will have no more problems after that, I can almost guarantee it.

I was thinking about buying a second car (ran across a good deal) just to commute in. It's a 97 Cavalier with 94K and an oil leak for $750. At least it would give the ES a rest. Cannot decide what do to though.
    I'm just kidding!!! I know this engine has many, many, many thousands of miles and then some before it goes. I love my Protege, but perhaps I'm still a little bewildered that I traded in my much beloved RX-7 for the Pro... hmmm... I will have to replace the spark plugs, and soon! I just saw that gas prices have risen above the $2/gallon mark for 87 at many gas stations here. That's nearly 20 cents in less than a week!
    Racing Beat is an aftermarket performance tuner that provided the majority of the tuning for the soon-to-be-here MP3. Here's a short article by Racing Beat describing the process:

http://www.racingbeat.com/FRprotege.htm

They are considering Protege-specific performance parts, but they would like input on it before they venture into that market. At the end of the article is a contact link. LET THEM KNOW WE WANT IT!!!!!

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    sd1228,
    Save your money and grab a small scrub brush and put a little laundry soap and water in a bucket. Just scrub your seats down and use a shop vac to suck it dry. Park it in the garage overnight with the windows open and you should have great results. I have bought and sold many many cars and used this method on my own vehicles. It's amazing how well Tide works on your car's clothes.

Changing cloth? You can have a shop re-upholster with their own fabric or buy the OEM trim. Having an upholstery shop do it may be cheaper, but you'll never be able to match the OEM look.

:)
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    I use 409 Carpet cleaner and it works great...
    with the upholstery attachment. Buy Hoover's upholstery shampoo. Go over it several times.
    Let it dry and then see if it needs it again.

fowler3
    dirty? Moonroofs suck in tons of traffic dirt and pollution: car exhaust,jet airplane exhaust (black and oily), other grime. Wearing soiled clothes in your car adds to it. Smoking and dropping food.

fowler3
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Posts: 162
    I just changed the wheels cover son my pro LX to the previous generation's (97-98) 6-spoke wheel covers becuase they look a lot better. I was wonderign if anybody else has changed the wheels covers and I just want to make sure mine fit properly. Thanks so much, Sam
  • digidavedigidave Posts: 43
    reminds me of that joke:

Ever notice that people driving slower than you on the highway are idiots and those driving faster are maniacs?!
  • Time to save my pennies....was driving around this weekend in our new PRO and ventured down to the Port of Tacoma - we drove by the terminal where all the new cars are unloaded from Japan. There must have been hundreds of Proteges among all the others. Standing out like a sore thumb was a blue special edition and it looked great with the 17" alloys, huge fog lights and spoiler. Do you think my wife will still consider it "his and hers" PRO's if I hit the lottery and buy one?? One massive barbed wire chain link fence between me and a closer inspection. Did I also see a wagon?? Way off in the distance?? Bye all - Greg
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    yep, I switched my OEM plugs with regular Bosch platinum plugs (not +4.) and it is working pretty good. The problem is that, the plastic piece that connects to the spark plug keeps on poping up. I just checked today and found out that my 3rd cylinder spark plug was not connected to the spark plug wire at all! I had to push it down to re-connect it. The funny part was that.. I got 340 miles on one tank of gas when this happened, and I usually get only around 300 miles per tank.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Paul;
    I stand corrected, my bad! You were the first my friend. Sorry to here about the scratches.

-Larry
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    You probably saw a new Protege MP3. It's supposed to have 140hp and extra peformance add-ons. Here's a pic of one: http://www.geocities.com/negatize/media/2001protege/mp3_outside_mazda.jpg

Copy and paste that address into a new window to see it, because GeoCities doesn't seem allow people linking directly to their site from other sites...

Thanks for the tip about the touch-up paint. I have to call the Mazda dealer today and see how to get the touch-up paint for my car.