Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Since I am the IT department! LoL, small as Our company may be.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Got so many posts.
    do you know where your Protege is?

ABQ News is reporting that more and more cars are not staying where their owners put them after arriving at work. The worst offenders are the Mazda Protege family of cars. "They leave the lots soon after being parked", says one staffer. The cars appear to be looking for fun. What happens if the owners want to leave work early? It appears they are just out of luck and it's a rish the cars appear ready to take.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    As soon as Meade goes home for the weekend, this topic will be renamed Protege Posse.

Then I will hurry to create a new topic that will be -- LO!! -- a place where folks can come to find information on a sedan called the Mazda Protege.

Just imagine how nice that will be for *all* the members of our community!!

:-D

Happy first weekend of 2003!!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    If this is renamed "Protege Posse," what is to become of the existing "Protege Posse" forum? Oh woe is me.

:P
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    No wonder some folks experience low fuel economy. Not only do they zoom zoom, but their cars do it on their own on the sly. :)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I hope you miss me; this discussion gets mighty dull when I'm not around.

Have a good weekend.

I'll find you Monday.

And this wasn't on-topic either.

But you can remind me of that with my next e-spanking.

Meade
    Even if the cord strays all over my center console and squeaking noises come out of the tape player, it's the cheapest and easiest solution.

Mazda, make your stereo ISO-DIN compartments deeper to fit more aftermarket head units!

Sheesh.
    give us a rear input plug so that we can easily use any portable device with the factory stereo!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Is ISO International Organization for Standardization? What does DIN mean?
    Is the dash opening for the Protege stereo an odd size?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    DIN is an acronym for Deutsche Institut fur Normung. Obviously, it's a German standards organization and they have made a standard for the size of the dash opening for car stereos. I cannot remember the exact measurements, but they are specific. I'm pretty sure the Protege's stereo is a double DIN. You can still get a regular sized DIN stereo and use a dash kit. That way you'll have a nice little storage space below your stereo and you'll have many more choices of CD/radio decks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    It has been snowing alomost non-stop in the last 24hrs and ALL roads and highways are covered with snow, snow and slush or slush only. There are no dry roads!

The AVID Touring were finally tested for a longer time in snow and I must admit I was wrong about them. They provide a really good snow/slush traction!!!

If they were only this great in the rain...

Dinu
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    my Pro dry cleaned? It's been months since it was washed!

fowler3
    The openings and mounting brackets are DIN, but the depth of the pocket is less than in most vehicles, and most aftermarket head units. Most Kenwoods and Pioneers will fit, but most others (Aiwa, JVC, Sony etc) won't without either removing the rear support bracket or letting the head unit stick out of the dashboard a bit.

And most Kenwood and Pioneer units don't have a standard AUX in. Some let you use the CD-changer port to connect another device with the addition of an adapter, usually the more expensive units.

I'd like to install either an Aiwa or JVC unit, but they don't fit without removal of the rear support bracket.

I hope Mazda doesn't continue to make non-standard stereo compartments like they do in the 6. The more I think about it, the less I like that about the 6. Too bad. It's a nice car.
  • Hi,
    I have an interesting problem. This 1998 Protege Dx has 87,000 miles on it. It's been a great car with no problems until now. This is annoying but does not affect the driving of my car in any way. No shaking and no vibrations.
    While driving along there is no noise until I hit around 68-70 mph. Then I hear a "chee chee chee" sounding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the right front side of car. It's not real loud. Once I hit 72mph the noise goes away. If I'm slightly under or over the 70 ish ....no noise. If I hear the noise and let up or push beyond 70, the noise always goes away. There is no hesitation in the engine at all. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    It sounds like your wheel bearing might be going. I had a similar thing happen in my old car, it was only was noticeable at 65mph, and was otherwise silent.
  • I'm ready to install new speakers in my 02 ES. I understand that the need for better speakers was mentioned in an edmunds review. I'd like advice... what speakers would be recommended?
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    I installed the Kenwood speakers from the MP3 in my 2001 ES. They really made a big difference. One nicety with those is, if you get the dealer to do the installation, they are covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.
  • Doesn't Kenwood make, also, the stereo on recent Pro's? Any idea of the speaker model name?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I thought the 01+ stereos were Panasonic.

Dinu
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You are correct. When my one headunit blew in my 01 ES, the dealer told me it was a Panasonic unit.
    Usually, the manufacturer prints their name on the speakers somewhere on the back side (look at the ones in your trunk). On 99-00 models, they were Pioneers all around. That's why I assume the stock stereo is a Pioneer (usually, the auto mfr. gets a whole system from the same source, but not always). Hey, I have an extra (somewhat defunct) head unit sitting around...I can take a look at that.

I don't know about the ones in 01-03 models. My wife has a 2003 P5, and I'd have to remove a door panel to get a gander, so it might be a while before I have a response for you (especially since I have to get her OK first).
  • I just went to bizrate.com, clicked on car speakers - and got 500 matches. Wow! (And the prices for some of 'em... yikes.)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Do some of your research on Crutchfield, but don't buy there unless you have discounts or lots of money to throw away!

In my experience (95 DX0 some non-recommended speakers (6x9 for rear) made by Kenwood (6908) fit perfectly happily in the car! But some have raised tweeters or non-detachable grills - those can be a bigger problem! I did not use the Kenwood grills on either speaker I installed (6504 in front, IIRC - 6.5"). They sit pretty, right under the existing door and rear-deck grills. Huge difference in sound for relatively little money (50+65 for the pairs)

If you have decided what speaker you want, try ebay as a source to buy them - I got a great deal on the rears! They (or a more basic, 'cheaper version of them) cost twice as much at Crutchfield! Yeah, they're new and came with warrant from an authorized reseller!
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    When I upgraded the speakers in my 01 ES, the ones I took out of the front were not labeled beyond a stamping which read 8 ohms. The rears I removed were 25W Pioneers. Panasonic makes at least the base and CD player of the modular head unit. Other manufacturers may make the cassette, MD Player (probably Sony), and 6 Disc changer from my recollection.

The Kenwoods I put in were the 6808 up front and the X698 in the rear.

If you buy from Mazda (e.g. Mazdastuff.com or some other site), you get the X688C for the front and the X698 for the rear. At $104 and $124 respectively, those are a pretty good deal. Crutchfield charges $149 and $199 for those, and theirs don't even come pre-wired for Mazda's wiring harnesses. The down side is you would need to get a Mazda dealer to install them, otherwise you only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.