Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    If I claim it under insurance then won't my premiums go up up up? I think this is one of those cases where insurance stays out of it and the money disappears from my pocket :(

At least they gave me another Pro for a loaner! Some gold colour. I think it's an SE...the badges are covered with snow and I can't tell otherwise...no power locks or power anything though, so I'm guessing SE.

They were going to charge me for a new wheel cover, but I said I had some extras...Thanks Tim!! :D
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The B-series 1.8 was used up until 1998. In 1999 and 2000, the 1.8 was a direct derivative of the 2.0 FSD.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    btw, in future, learn to take W I D E turns.....i scream at my wife who like to take turns with a small radius...always the fear of banging into the curbs....
    Hope that it's only the alignment...not bearings and axle...they are pretty tough...
    LOL! It wasn't because of a wide turn...I was making a right turn at a 4-way-stop. The stop sign on my right was anchored to a large triangular curb height structure and sat in the middle of the road. That is what I smacked into. I only moved about 5 feet before I hit it.
    The estimate for my repair is this (all in CDN $):
    New rim = $187.08
    Alignment = 85.55
    Estimation time = 82.65
    Total incl tax = $380.15

Does anybody else think that price of the rim is out of line, or is it just me?
    I'm talking just about steel rims...not alloys/mags
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    OK. I tried it. Got the car up to 50, put it in neutral, then pressed the set button, and ...
    Zing went the (strings of my heart) tachometer. Guess I'll get out of the habit of always leaving the cruise power on, cause those buttons are a bit too easy to accidentally hit.
    What is the current exchange rate? I've seen 15" steels for around $40 US.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Posts: 163
    I think that price is outrages for a steel rim. I have steelies for my winter tires and I paid under $60/rim for mine. Maybe mine weigh just a bit more than the dealers but I'm sure not that much. See if they will come down on that price.

d.

ps. I live in Ontario so things should be that much different.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    You can pick up an alloy American Racing or Motegi rim for $124 to $180.00..... Steel rims should not cost you any more than $80.00 maximum.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    What year is your Pro or Pro5?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I would not be paying that for a steel rim either, that's way too much money! Maybe someone in the TH has extras or something.

And if you claim it on the insurance, it would be comprehensive. So you would have to pay the deductible anyway. And in the US, they can't raise your premium for that. Don't know about Canada though.

Also, alignment might be cheaper at a Midas or something like that. Check into it.
    They're telling me that they've already installed the rim and that there's nothing they can do. OMG!!! This is drving me nuts! He's telling me right now that it's because it's an OEM rim and it may be different than other rims. Arrghhh!! He says that in order for him to take it off, they'll have to re-align the wheels and they'll charge me again for the alignment!

I've explained over and over how I think it's unacceptable for a steel rim to cost that much, but he says that he's not surprised because it's OEM. He says that they're stuck b/c that's what Mazda charges.

Anger rising....
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Don't know about Canada, but in OH, they have to give you an up-front estimate, and your approval if the cost is a certain percentage (10%, I think) above the estimate given to you before they can proceed with the work. Otherwise, you can back out and pay only for the labor involved.

No way they should be able to force the part on you if you don't want it.

Wheel alignment is NOT affected by any wheel (given they're all in good condition). You don't get wheel alignment done with every tire rotation, right (even though the shop may try to push one on you)?

So long as the replacement wheel has the same offset, width and diameter (and not a lot of difference in mass), it shouldn't matter if they differ slightly from the OEM wheel.

In US$, 14in steel wheels cost about $40-$50.

I'd be complaining to the manager, then up the chain to Mazda NA. Wouldn't hurt to get the local BBB (or equivalent) involved either. Of course, bad press might influence them as well, if your local news stations have a "consumer advocate" segment on their news crew. Amazing how the potential of getting bad coverage on broadcast news can get unscrupulous operators to change their tune.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    They're great tires. Very good hydroplaning resistance at highway speeds and very good wet and dry traction. Fairly good treadlife too.

Not expensive either. Got the 185/65R14s on my Pro for $55US each.
    The bad part about this is that I am also at fault here. They told me the price and I said, "well, I guess you have to do it." Then I called back an hour later and they told me it was too late, they had already done it.
    I called another dealership to see how much they would charge and the rim costs the same...must be Mazda Canada's price.

So I guess it's just one of those lessons in life :(
    You can be dang sure that if ANYTHING is wrong with my steering after this I will be raising some H-E-Double hockey sticks.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Good luck with everything, dood.
    Luck is no longer a factor :(
    The only factor left is green....or purple, red, blue, and maroon if you're from Canada.
    It is an 02 Pro ES.

I can conceive of the auto and the manual functioning differently. This is all conjecture, but - with an electronically controlled auto, I'd imagine the PCM is aware of the position of the gear selector, thus it will know when it is in neutral and can defeat the cruise control. I'm not sure whether or not the PCM knows the position of the shifter for the manual, but I'm guessing it doesn't (why bother?), and perhaps it isn't worth it to put in a sensor to detect when its in neutral just for this one issue. So making a short story long, I suppose the Mazda techs could have been thinking auto when they said that the Pro shouldn't respond to cruise input while in neutral. Just a guess.