Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• For those who need this tire size, the new Yokohama AVS ES100 should be available this spring. Although they are not yet listed on Tirerack, they are already available in Canada (www.tiretrends.com). The PDF guide available at http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/avses100.pdf confirm this.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    You can delete posts if you press - DELETE.
    You may also edit by pressing EDIT and you should SUBSCRIBE to discussions of interest and then hit READ SUBSCRIPTIONS to bring up new posts.

If you hit refresh, you will double, triple, etc post.

Dinu
    What car do you have?

Dinu
  • a canadian ES 2001 (MT). This is a mix of a us LX 2.0 and a PRO; it has the same interior as a PRO, but only 15 in. wheels, no rear-disk, no abs, no spoiler and no sunroof (but all these are available as a package option).

In Province of Quebec, the Protege is the best-selling car in the compact category since 2001 (it was the Civic before). I have bought it the very first day that the 2001 model was available in Canada, in december 2000, and I have done 56 000 km so far (about 35 000 miles). As I want to keep it a long time, I hope that it will last 250 000 km; we'll see ...
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I was lucky, everyone on my street got together and ended up hand shoveling out our street, because it's too small for a plow to fit up. The trouble is, it's one way and the street you have to go out on is not clear at all. I got stuck there, but some neighbors were nice enough to push me out. I went the wrong way down the street and parked that way last night, because I didn't wanna get stuck again. And the street I have to go over (still covered in snow and rutted) is a real mess to get over still. Baltimore city is happy to tow your car away if you park on a snow emergency route, but they haven't sent anyone to clean anything else. We have about 26.5" of snow on the ground still.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Man, I WISH we'd had two feet of snow! Instead we got four inches of SLEET and ICE. Can't plow it, can't salt it (too cold), can't do nothin' with it. Our street is still covered. At least snow gives you some traction! I'm tired of landing flat on my -- er -- posterieur trying to just get to the mailbox!

Meade
    I would rather have the ice than 2 FEET of snow, personally. Don't gotta shovel ice, and traction control works wonders with it too. Not like snow, where you still get stuck anyway... :(
    1. Paul, this is the P-R-O-T-E-G-E discussion. Proteges don't have "Traction Control."

2. Driving on ice might be great if you have "Traction Control." And in the utopia in which you live, everyone else must have it too? So no one will slide into you?

3. Tell me how "Traction Control" works when you're stopped in traffic on a banked curve and your car starts sliding sideways, into the other lane, and toward the ditch on the other side.

4. Please advise how "Traction Control" keeps me from falling flat on my aforementioned "posterieur" when attempting to negotiate getting from my car to my front door.

5. You apparently have had no experience with a good ol' southun Ice Storm and what several inches of ice does to trees and power lines that several feet of snow DOESN'T. Apparently you also have not been a homeowner long enough to see what kind of damage a 60-foot oak tree can do to your house.

GIMME SNOW ANY DAY!

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    when all your 4 freaking tires on ice????

which one is going to grip?????
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    We get those in the north too. We call that Spring time.
    You step on the gas and let the car figure it out. That's it. Been there, done that. Car went across the ice. Don't know how, all I cared about is that it did.
    I am far from living in a utopia. But traction control does work wonders on ice. I know what you mean about a sloping road though, slid sideways a couple of weeks ago in the snow and hit the curb. I would rather deal with ice, to an extent, than 2 feet of snow though.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Uhhh, are we saying the precipitation is always harder to deal with on the other side of the fence?

At any rate, this argument seems rather pointless. And protegeless.

Could we move on now?

:-)
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    The 94 LX Pro has 125 HP (3more than my 2000!) but less torque (108lb/ft of torque). It was rated to pull 800 lbs worth of trailer with a 100 lb tongue weight. If she has a manual tranny, I'd say it would be okay if she takes her time and doesn't try for fast starts or stops.

I agree with Mazdafun though, rent the bigger Ryder and put the Pro on a towing dolly or trailer. Let the wear and tear go on the truck, not the car.

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    You might want to check, on their web-site, how much that u-haul trailer weighs. I think they are around 500lbs empty so that doesn't give you much room as far as stuff you can actually tow. the only thing you really want to pull would be a much lighter duty utility trailer which are closer to 250lbs.
    Let's keep the comments here related to Proteges and the features Proteges have!

Meade
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    If this person needs to get over the Rockies, and he or she like his or her Protege, I'd very strongly recommend against it. It may seem OK driving through the flat plains, but the Rockies are a double wammy - the long steady incline (occasionally quite steep) and the loss of power with altitude. Any head room will quickly evaporate with the thinning air.

I therefore cast my vote for wrecking a rental truck towing the Pro.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    They'll fade that much faster on the long downhills slopes. I wouldn't want another 500lbs off stuff pushing my Pro downhill.

Speaking of brakes, if she rents a truck, she should make sure its brakes are in good condition.
    ... a couple of years ago with my B2300 pickup. It was the smallest one that's enclosed -- 4x6 with a single axle. The tongue weight was more like 150 pounds -- seems to me it was even closer to 200 pounds, because I was concerned about the fact that the bumper hitch on my B2300 was rated at a 200-lb. max tongue weight. I will say this -- it was HEAVY. And then, since it was a single-axle trailer, I had to be VERY careful to try and keep it balanced as I loaded it so I didn't increase the tongue weight even further.

All that said, I'll add that my truck, equipped with a 5-speed tranny and a 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine (only about 100 hp but lots of torque) had a hard time with that trailer. On one hill coming out of Lynchburg, Virginia (which is just getting into the Southern Appalachians -- nothing like the Rockies), I had to downshift to 2nd gear and made it across the top in the right lane at 30 mph with my foot on the floor and the prayers flowing.

And the truck had a frame and substantially more weight to handle that trailer. I also have owned a first-generation Protege. There is no weight in the back of the car and I would not dare pull a trailer with it or my current Protege. If that trailer starts to sway it'll steer your car right off the highway. Very, very dangerous.

I just looked it up on U-Haul's website. It is 670 pounds empty and is rated to carry up to 830 pounds. That's 1,500 pounds total. Do you really think your Protege can safely handle with 3/4 of a ton behind it?

I'll say it now ...

I told you so.

Meade
    Zoom Zoom!!!

;-)

Meade
  • Towed a small tent trailer with a '92 Pro for a couple of summers , short distances , very flat county. Wouldn't do it again even though the car seemed to handle it OK. Blew a head gasket during the 2nd winter and I would say the strain on the engine had something to do with it.
    I'm in Toronto but lived in Montreal b/w 91-94. Learned French too - I'm actually studying to be a French teacher.

Anyways, PRO-wise, mine is also a 2001 ES, but I did add the spoiler as an option, along with A/C and the dreaded AT (so my mom can also drive it). I now have AVID Touring in 195/60/R15 size- the Potenzas wore-off before 30.000kms and send me in a curb last winter. Not a fun experince, so this summer I got them replaced at 38.000kms. I now have just over 53.000kms since July 01 and it still drives like a silver rocket (it's silver obviously).

When I got mine in July 01 there were very few PROs in Toronto, but a year later they were everywhere, just like in Mtl.

Washed it yesterday at one of those do it yourself places - touchless, high pressure wash. Looks like she belongs on a cover of a magazine. Ok I'll admit it, I love this car!

Dinu
  • I've seen some of your previous posts about the Avid Touring tires, and I got the impression that you like them ok, but not quite as much as the tirerack reviews would indicate to me. I am considering these tires along with the Michelin X-One and Goodyear Regatta 2's. I do *alot* of highway miles at about 70-75 mph in my '99 Pro and am looking for quiet, comfort, and treadlife. What are you current feeling on these and what type of driver are you? Thanks!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    On my Lexus. Very quiet and stable. I love the tire.
    I'm looking at them very hard too. They were my first choice before I went with the Dunlop SP Sport A2s, which, even though they have a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty, I like several others have managed to get only half that mileage out of them. I have only 19,000 miles on my set of four SP Sport A2s and one of them is all the way down to the treadwear indicators -- the other 3 aren't far behind. Looks like I'll be considering the Yokos again in a few thousand miles.

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I have a set on my '89 323. Very quiet, very good lateral grip on wet surfaces. OK as all-seasons typically are on snow and slush. Hydroplaning resistance is good, but I actually think the Dunlop SP Sport A2s are better.

From my observation, the X-Ones will outlast my 323. From inspecting them inside and out, they're amongst the best-constructed tires I've seen.

The Avid Touring tire gets good remarks. Mind that the folks reviewing them are looking for touring tires, not performance tires (although they're almost as good as the Avid T4...a bit slower response, as you'd expect).
    I like them b/c:

1. In 15.000 kms they look brand new - no wear at all, while my Potenzas already showed an alarming wear within a few months.

2. I went from 195/55/15 to 195/60/15 and the ride is MUCH better: less harsh, and >>noisier<
  • A co-worker has a 6 month old Hyundai, with the great (sic) warranty. Her A.C. is not working. The local dealership told her that the problem is -her- fault (b.s. - song & dance). Not only do they say that the repair is not covered under warranty, they charged her $77 to diagnose the problem. Of all the reasons to buy a particular car- frequency of repair is king. Go Pro.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    you try out the new Yokohama AVS ES100? apparently they are available in 195/55 as well as 205/55 sizes.

I know tirerack carries this yokohama series of tires too!!
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I remember I had to replace the battery in my 626. My Dad had to debate with the dealer because they wanted to charge alot money to replace the batttery. I think they charged me 15 dollars at the end. I see thats one area the domestics thrive in over imports: dealer service. Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, and Chrysler best Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda in dealer service. However Acura, Lexus, and Infinti rank near the top. How come The Japanese Big 3 luxury divisions give better customer service where as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan don't?