Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    E-mail me if you want to grab a slice or something. I'll be in Wisconsin Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon of that weekend, though.

And you can just pipe down, Raymond.

--Dale
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I'll be on Division street Friday night and I'm sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday. I don't think I will get down there until about 6 or 7 on Friday.
  • I think the dunlop 5000 is one of the better all season performance tires to fit.
    an advertising company here in Minneapolis (they do the BMW movie ads, Microsoft, MTV and a bunch of other stuff) made a bunch of posters to raise more awareness of the homeless. They took pictures of homeless people here in Minneapolis on the coldest nights in February and put them on posters with phrases like: "Current temperature in hell: -10F" or "Homeless: When asked to describe their fear of death with one word, their answer was February"

I've seen many homeless people here and assumed that they went to shelters at night but when I saw those pictures I felt really bad. The shelters fill up and don't take anyone who appears intoxicated. It's nice to know that there are companies out there that actually care about this stuff. The company did this on their own, nobody hired them to do it.

Anyway, I can't wait to take my Protege down to Chicago. I'll have to keep it away from the taxis.
    and they have a sporty 4 seater comparo with the Infiniti G35 coupe, Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, and Mazda RX8. The Mazda took 1st. Nice work Mazda.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    With 60k miles on your car you're due for a timing belt replacement so if the water pump is leaking (or maybe even if it isn't) this would be the best time to have it replaced along with the timing belt(and maybe the other accessory belts as well).
    My 2000 ES bought 7/31/00 has less than 20k. Still runs like new. I use mostly for buzzing around town, no road trips of any great distances.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    especially how it drives, even if it is not as fast as the other two cars in terms of raw performance measurements.

it's that je ne sais quoi about how the whole package is put together and feels, that makes a "slow" car fun to drive :-)
  • If not already covered...some nice pics of the Mazda Sportif including the interior which I love.
    http://thehollywoodextra.com/mazda/mazda.html
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    IIRC, NE/CA emissions cars don't have their timing belts replaced until 105K. That's what the owner's manuals in both my 99 DX and 01 ES said, anyway...
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    I never looked at merlin's profile. If that's the case then I think you're right. But I think they do recommend getting it inspected at 60k, don't they?
    Pretty sure, but don't quote me. Haven't seen a Pro owner's manual for over a year now...
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    "I am surprised the Poortenza tires lasted 60K miles. That is a big shocker for me actually."

Vocus, when you hydroplane tire wear is less. ;)

The Mazda3's instrument panel looks as good or better than the 6's. Especially the center stack.

I think the web site that posted that should have test-driven a 6, first. And the added colorizing doesn't do anything for the B&W photos.

fowler3
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    I've not seen this here yet..I'm going to do it. Sounds like fun.

http://www.mazdarevitup.com/home.asp
    signed up for FedEx Field event on July 27, 9am group :-D

Meade? Paul? should I expect you guys to be there?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Are they using automatics in the event?? I hope not...Paul, you'd better learn to drive stick real soon!
    I'm going, only if they are using manuals though.
    I'm not sure. My guess is that they would have both. Although it might be all automatics since they seem to want to get a real cross-section of people and want to show off the handling characteristics of the car. With either transmission, it sounds like a lot of fun, and you can definately learn something. Now the sad part, I found out about it from my friend who frequents www.audiworld.com. Why I didn't get something from mazda either through email or post is beyond me, nor did it seem anyone else. How did you find out about it Hank?

Steve
    to save all the manual n00bs from killing hundreds of clutches. Yes Paul you don't have to know stick to participate.

think of the clutches!!!!

yeah steve, the 'notification email' from the previous version of the site never went through :rolleyes: I didn't know about the begin of official registration until someone at rx8forum linked it.

so steve, are you in?
    yup, I'm in. I got the 9am sunday as well, I think it was group 10.
    same group as me...
    The government says gasoline prices will hit US$1.76 on average in April. It's currently US$1.59 in NC. Sheesh, glad I don't drive all that much.

My cousin is complaining, she drives a Ford conversion-van V8, gets 13mpg! Has a 25 gallon tank.

fowler3
    I paid 1.68 a gallon for 89 octane last night. My tank was on empty almost, and it took $23 to fill my car. :(
    I did try to learn to drive a stick, with a co-worker of mine. I asked him every weekend in February, and every weekend in February it snowed in MD. Now he doesn't work here anymore. :(

I was thinking about signing up, but never did. Maybe I will change my mind. Why are there 3 different times for each of the runs? 3 runs I assume? I don't know how it works, never Autoxed before.

Also, Hank, I would love to learn stick if you're willing to teach me in the RX-7... :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Good luck w/ that Vocus:

Also, Hank, I would love to learn stick if you're willing to teach me in the RX-7... :)
    paul, sign up for the event anyway, they'll have plenty of instructions so you won't be lost on the course....

and hands off my RX-7! :-D
    I was just kidding about the RX-7. :) I kinda figured they would have instructions. I am really thinking about signing up, but haven't totally decided yet. I more than likely will, but we shall see...
    Ripping around an autoX course in an automatic Mazda6? In the rules, it says, no burnouts. Can an automatic Mazda6S even do a burnout? Seriously, I understand why they would use all automatics, but I would guess most people who are interested in autoX know how to drive a manual. I was really pumped about doing that until I heard they were all automatics. That was a huge disapointment.