Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    yeah, but what kind of gains did they get with new OEM plugs? I want to see a comparo that goes like this: Old OEM plugs, New OEM plugs, New Irridio-platinu-halogenium-kryptonite-Maltbarlium-20 electrode-super plugs.

Then I will believe.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    My shop wouldn't even put NGK platinum plugs in my Protege. Said they were a waste of money, and caused more problems than they were worth.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I tried those New Irridio-platinu-halogenium-kryptonite-Maltbarlium-20 electrode-super plugs before. They easily gave me 30 hp on the butt dyno.

The Maltbarlium in them gave them added gas-power or something.
    :D
    I thought they made exhaust upgrades. ;-)
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I am sure my ES will move like a nuclear powered Rocket now :)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Like the exhaust, but the tip is way too big for my taste.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    I know that some of you have already heard about this, so you can just close your eyes.

About four weeks ago, I noticed my coolant reservoir was almost empty.

I added some more and it drank a little; I added some more, and then the level seemed to stabilize.

Now it seems to be going down again.

My dad says I should put sealer (sealant?) in the radiator.

What do you guys think?
    what is it doing Dale?
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I think you should take it to your dealer and have it checked.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    How much coolant did you add over how much time?

Any funny smells or unexplained fogging of the windows with the heater or defroster on?

Any performance issues with the engine (roughness, running hotter than normal, etc.)?

How old is your car again? How many miles?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll be listening to Car Talk for your call to Tom and Ray. ;-)
    I had that happen on my 2000 Jetta. Turned out to be a bad water pump.
    Darren: 2000 ES; 22,945 miles.

How much coolant did I add?

Well, at the risk of ridicule, when there was a trace of coolant left in the reservoir, I added enough to bring the level to the top of the letters that say "LOW."

After a couple of days it went back down to slightly below the letters, I brought it back up, and now it's below the letters again. (Maybe a difference of an inch or two?)

Temperature: Temp gauge is normal (slightly below nine o'clock).

Engine: Slightly sluggish in spots (AT), although it's been damp here, I haven't had the spark plugs or wires checked, etc.

Smells/fogging: none
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    But that was after I had the dealership service the cooling system. I think some air bubbles got trapped and they had to work their way out of the system as I had to keep topping off the overflow reservoir for several weeks afterwards. Maybe this is what's happened to your Pro.

But check for:

sweet-smelling exhaust
    cloudy (milky) oil (bad...must get fixed ASAP)
    droplets of coolant where you parked
    any greenish fluid pooling in your engine bay
    whitish "puffy" deposits on your radiator (or anywhere else in the cooling system)
    My cooling system has never been serviced, so I'm not sure how air bubbles would have been introduced, but I suppose it's possible.

I haven't noticed coolant under the car or anywhere in the engine bay. I don't think there's anything on the radiator, but I'll check again.

Check the oil?!? Are you mad?!?

Sigh. Cars are too complicated.
    I try to give cats a little ethylene glycol every now and then.
    Well, it's still under the 36000 miles of its warranty, but is it under the 3 years? If so, I'd take it to the dealer as soon as possible before that warranty runs out.

I was hoping you'd say you either found pools of coolant on the ground indicating a coolant line or radiator leak, or smelled it from the vents indicating a heater core leak. Most of the other major alternatives aren't pretty, but it doesn't sound like you have any drivability problems that typically go with a blown head gasket, cracked head, etc. See any bluish smoke coming out the tail pipe?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Dale usually has lots of smoke coming out of her tailpipe. Just a guess though.
    It's still in warranty right? If it continues, take it to the dealer and let them know how much and how often you have been adding coolant. Suggest they do a pressure test on the cooling system which will show any leaks and make visible the external ones.

Take Chowchi's advice and open the oil filler cap, checking the underside for a pale chocolate pudding (you'll know you have it if it's there). After feeding it to the cat, get your Protege down to the shop for a new head gasket.
    You might want to add a disclaimer onto that comment about the ethylene glycol. That stuff is instant death for cats. But thank you for suggesting the diagnostic at the dealership.

Darren...took delivery on 01/13/01, so yes, I'm still under warranty.

No blue or white exhaust.

My original question still stands, gentlemen:

Should I try adding that sealer/sealant stuff to the radiator?

Mike: No, you.
    I wouldn't have said it if I didn't know that... :-)

NO
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    they walk all over and scratch my cars. A little ethylene glycol cat food does wonders for your neighborhood cat population.

Disclaimer:I love indoor cats though. I've had mine for 6 years now and she's only been in the dryer once.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    u mean u actually opened up the hood and checked the coolant level?

Amazing :)
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    They might be able to fix it circumventing the need for any of that stop leak stuff.

I'm shocked nobody jumped on the fogging windows comment. You folks are loosing your touch.
    Chikoo: Don't tell the others, but I actually wasn't checking the coolant; I popped the hood to add more washer fluid.

Darren: "fogging windows".....ha ha ha ha ha ha.......
    Joking about what?