Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    I live in Stony Brook which is in Suffolk County but work in Jericho which is in Nassau County. A nice 60 miles of Zoom zoom each day.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I spent a few years in Dix Hills, LI. You pass by my old high-school stomping grounds every day.

Pro-related comment: it sure is amusing hearing how people wish for more power from their 1.8 and 2.0L engines when I have loads of fun with my 1.6L engine. Must be a blast with the 1.8 or 2.0.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Unless you are going to buy me a new car in a year, then I think I will be keeping the Jetta, but thank you for your opinion anyway.
    My friend grew up around Hauppauge. He liked it alot on the Island. I have never been though.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    It sounded like you were hoping VW would take away your current car. (maltb butts his head back out)
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    You were probaby being facetious, but don't be sorry anyway. He has continually said that VW will be buying back his car if it is not fixed correctly this time. He already has picked the trim level and color of the Jetta Wagon he wants. The tune changes, but the song remains the same.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    It's very much relative. Got a Yugo as your daily driver? Then the Pro is a rocket. Got a muscle car? Then I hope you like being able to actually turn now because the car is gutless and both the 1.8 and 2.0 lack low end power.

I find that even which car I drive to the lot before a test drive has a big effect on my perception of the test driven car's performance - on everything from power to handling to comfort.

Oh, but in general on power - one thing that isn't relative: too much is not enough! ;-)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    That's true. When compared with other engines, the 1.8L or 2.0L are gutless and lack low down torque. I could say that about ANY naturally aspirated small 4 cylinder including the 240 hp 2.0L in the S2000. My old 5.0L had more torque at IDLE than the 2.0L in the Protege has at PEAK. I remember driving my Integra after selling the Mustang and thinking that the Integra was completely gutless and slow when in fact most people would consider the VTEC Integra fast. Like you said, it's all relative.
    Malt: They said they would have to go further if the car was not fixed correctly this time. I don't want them to take the car back, I like it. I would like to have a car that doesn't have dumb little problems though. If they cannot fix the car right, I want another one. That makes sense, right? If I did not like the car, I would not want another VW Jetta, I would want another brand or model.

Meinrad: I said about the car because that is what I was told. And the trim level and color was picked anyway, because I just went through this 6 months ago when I bought the sedan.
    Yeah. The question is, though, are the trade-offs worth it. And the trade-offs can be a personal thing. For me, the trade-off in cost, reliability, and handling with the Pro were worth the loss of power and NVH. Other folks mileage may vary.
    Me too. The Mustang had to go because it sucked gas like an Econoline Van and frequently needed expensive tires, not to mention the insurance. I really liked the Integra, but it had to go too because Mazda had 0% financing and I wanted a new car. I actually think the ES Protege handles better than my old Integra. The Protege scored bonus points for being affordable, built in Japan, decent gas mileage, and absolutely INCREDIBLE handling for this price range. With 4 wheel disc brakes, 50 series performance tires on 16 inch rims, handsome black interior, euro-style exterior, and an ultra-strong chassis, the Protege ES is hard to beat. The fact that this car still gets high ratings from publications despite the fact that some feel the engine is underpowered just shows how good of a car the Protege really is (similiar things have been said about the Miata). Over one year after I bought my car, I still can't think of anything I'd want instead in this price range.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    My wife's 2002 Protege5 has that same awful black interior. Im-freakin-possible to keep clean. I know; I'm the one who has to clean it. Gray over black interior any day!

I do find it interesting that the 2.2L in my wife's old Cavalier had no power at all compared to the 1.8L in my Protege. And let's not even talk about the 2.3L in my old Mazda b2300 pickup, 8 plugs or not. Let's hear it for DOHCs and 16 valves!

Meade
    I definitely liked the Protege better than my Cavalier. The Cav had no power at all.

If you like 16 valves in a 4, you should try 20 with a turbocharger attached... :)
    When I traded my Saab for my Hyundai (result of being WAY upside-down -- hmmm, reminds me of someone else I know), I was questioned whether I had a turbo. Seems turbocharged engines with their high compression ratios are not looked upon too fondly when trade-in time comes. If it had a turbo they were going to really cut my trade-in amount -- especially since the car had almost 90,000 miles on it. Lucky for me I just had the normally aspirated 2.0-liter four.

This link ought to help prove my point. If you own a turbo, you've got to be meticulous with it!

http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/tips.htm

Sorry friend, normal aspiration for me anyday!

Meade
    What's so awful about the black interior? I don't think it's that hard to keep clean. I had a light colored interior before and I though that was bad. Any little spill, any mud, dirt, etc. showed up and usually stained. It's kinda hard to stain black carpet and fabric. ;)
    It's lint. Dust. Dirt from shoes. (C'mon Mazda, BLACK floor mats?!) Sorry, but I feel you're just debating to be debating here. My wife and I have Proteges that are treated roughly the same and her interior requires MUCH more maintenance than mine. Fact: Dirt shows more on black inside, just as it does outside.

Meade
    Keep in mind it was a Saab. I think it is appropriate that GM has bought part of Saab. They have the same philosophy on build quality. The Saab folks are smarter, though; they've somehow convinced the car buying public that theirs are premium cars. That way they can charge alot more for the same outdated engineering - but hey, they've got those cool floor mounted ingitions! ;-)

Anyway, the point is, the turbo in the Jetta, used in many other vehicles such as the Audi A4, is a much better turbo than any prev. gen. Saab.
    Buy those cheap Wal-Mart floormats and put them in Tammy's Protege. It will prevent as much lint from getting on the floor. My Protege and my VW both had/have black interiors, and these mats really help in keeping it clean in there.

And if you ever dump soda on the floor in your car by accident (hopefully not on purpose), you will be darn happy to have black instead of gray mats. Also, black doesn't show dirt as easily either (at least the VW's doesn't).
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    I have driven many, many Protege's with both motors. My choice? The 1.8L hands down!

The 1.8L is a much happier engine, IMO. It feels smoother and stronger, and sounds much much much better than the 2.0L. My first comment when I drove the 2.0L was, "Is there something wrong with this engine?" It sounded a lot less happy than the 1.8L. The 1.8L growls as RPMs rise; the 2.0L whines. I drove more of the 2.0L's... Same thing.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 1.8L cars are quicker. The 2.0L has more power, but it has to pull around that extra weight. On an interesting note, my '99 ES was recently tested on a dyno before and after my Injen Technology cold air intake. Compared to dyno's I have seen for the 2.0L, the 1.8L actually has a flatter torque curve and puts just slightly more power to the ground! I am not sure why, but the tech guru's on ProtegeClub.com were not surprised. I think it has to do with the shorter stroke and the 2.0L's larger brakes, wheels, tires, etc. More weight to move between the engine and ground...

You can see the dyno results on my webpage:

http://www.caliprotegemeet.1hwy.com/mycar.html

And it ain't the floor mats that are the only problem. The seat covers show lint like it's going out of style.

C'mon guys, why are you arguing? Ever had a black pair of pants? Ever had a pair of khakis? Which shows lint, hair, etc., more?

No-brainer! Stop arguing!

Meade