Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I'm sorry, what I meant was that I don't think A3 rated oils are any better than A5 rated oils. Mobil 1 5W30 and 10W30 are both rated for A5. If you look at the specs, A5 and A3 seem to be the same except A5 satisfies some special criteria for the Dodge Viper whereas A3 does not.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    for the "comforting...ah...comfortable" explanations. I am more confident now that when I replace the Poortenzas I can put my teeth in. jk

Kidding aside, it isn't really that bad a ride. I just wish it was smoother at times. One thing I have noticed is the Poortenzsa get out of balance more often than I would expect. When tires were bias-ply I don't recall having to get them balanced every 3000 miles. But when they were out of balance you definately knew it -- very bumpy ride.

Like meade said, that slight vibration in the steering wheel is the tip-off.

fowler3
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    They were pretty evenly worn. Since your problems started just before then (I've put lots of miles on with trips to Detroit etc. for work recently), I checked the wear indicators across the tires.

They seem to be wearing faster than I'd think from the wear rating, but not unacceptably fast for a high-performance all-season tire. Again, my tire size is different, so that may be why. Then again, maybe I lucked out and got 4 good ones. They seem to be working for me, but I may try the Bridgestone RE910 or Yokohama Avid T4 next time (I like the quick response of these types of tires...the Michelin X-Ones on my 323 are great touring tires, but don't offer as much fun in s-curves and corners...but the 323 can use as much help soaking up bumps as it can).

I've had good luck with Yokohamas in the past, except the compound gets hard after 4-5 years and grip goes down while squeal goes up. My wife seemed to like the RE910s on her Saturn. Then again, she like the Dunlop D60A2s on it as well (until the blister on one blew, but geez, those tires were getting on 7 years...I'd told her she was overdue for new tires...still plenty of tread left on those BTW).

A friend with a BMW 328i has Dunlop SP5000 tires and says they hydroplane easily. I don't notice that issue on my wife's P5 on wet roads. Then again, it's FWD v. RWD and different tire sizes.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    If your wife liked the RE910's than definately take a closer look at the RE930i's. They are high performance all season's as opposed to just performance all season's. They have an H-speed rating where i think the RE910's are S and T rated respectively. The RE930's handle the wet stuff very well and have an A traction rating which is measured against wet weather braking.

You can likely acquire the RE930i's at Costco's for less than what you will pay for the RE910's and the RE930 are superior tires. Good luck.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    yes, the A3 and A5 oils are very similiar with a few minor differences. However, i thought the A5 oil rating is specific to Chrysler in general and it says that it's use may not be recommended in some engines. I guess either way, the protection is ceratinly comparable.

Take care.
    I think A5 cannot be used in engines that need really thick oil and we should not have to worry about that in the Protege. I also think A5 rated oil is the same as A3 except for some special criteria needed by DaimlerChrysler (Dodge Viper). Why would DC, Porsche, GM, etc. all chose Mobil 1? Castrol can make their synthetic cheaper so it would stand to reason that Castrol could give the manufacturers a better deal. The manufacturers choose Mobil 1 though. Why?

Another thing I find curious is the fact that the Mobil 1 site gives you specs and the Castrol site does not. What's up with that?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    as part of the 30k maintenance, i need to replace the spark plugs on my Protege. For those that have done it themselves, how long of an extension do i need for my ratchet wrench to reach the plugs below the valve cover, and did you guys use any kind of anti-seize compound when installing the plugs (what did you use?)

thanks
    A 6 inch extension should be fine. I use anti-seize and di-electric (sp?) grease. Usually, auto parts stores will have little packets of the grease and anti-seize for cheap. I use Denso or NGK (whichever are available) plugs. I also do mine every 15K. At 15K, my plugs were out of gap already.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Posts: 207
    I've never had a plug seize in an aluminum head. I have had one cross-tread [ouch, time for helicoil] and had a too loose one blow out of the engine [surprise, but no damage].

If you use bosch platinum tip plugs, they will stay within specs for 30k miles easily.
    I've never had a seized or cross-threaded plug, but I still use anti-seize because there's always a first for everything. I just use the cheap plugs because they're only about $7 for 4. I figure $7 every year and a half (15,000 miles) isn't bad for spark plugs and I honestly could never tell a difference in mileage or power with platinums. I don't mind working on my car, so the longer replacement interval of platinums doesn't really matter to me. It takes me about 10 minutes to do the plugs. At 15K, the plugs were out of spec, but barely. They're supposed to be at .044 and they were at about .047. I did the plugs in my friend's Integra this weekend and those things were WAY out of spec, almost off the gap tool's scale. I guess that's what 45,000 miles on the original plugs will do.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I've seen plugs in aluminum heads bring the threads right out with them. Heli-coils and thread-inserts are a PITA. I'm all for Todd's method and it works great for me.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    so the 'oem spec' gap for the Protege plugs are .044 right?

and you use the anti-seize on the threads, and the di-electric grease on the connector to the wires?

oh yeah, i'm using OEM NGK plugs, straight from the dealer ;-)
    yes, yes, and yes.

psst...

you can get the same plugs at a parts store for a little bit cheaper.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 550
    the standard-grade Bosch platinum-tip spark plugs deteriorate less on the exterior, as well as on the tip, of any plugs I have ever tried.
  • Could anyone tell me if there are any current customer cash incentives available on the 2003 Protege ES? Thanks in advance.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    It's evident they weren't balanced correctly from the beginning since there are new (and larger) weights in different places than the first ones on the front wheels.

Man, all the difference in the world at 80 this morning.

LIKE BUTTAH!!!

Meade
    And the multi-terminal Bosch. No help from what I can tell, and they caused my 323's engine to buck and cough. Put the 99-cent Champions back in and everything was fine. I stuck with OEM-spec NGKs in my Protege. I'll have to check the last time I changed them; might be time for new ones.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    heard that they give 10% increase in power ;)
    how many miles do you get?

Viz. you set the trip meter to zero when the fuel light comes on, fill it up and take the reading when the fuel light comes on once again.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Set your trip odometer to zero after you fill up your car. Next time you fill up, take note of how many gallons you put in and divide your trip odometer reading by that number.

As you receive answers to your question about how many miles people are getting on a tankful, remember the P5s (and the '01 on Protege sedans too, maybe?) have larger gas tanks than the '99s and '00s.

My '00 ES 5-speed, with a mix of city and highway driving, usually goes about 310 to 320 miles between fill-ups. On an extended highway trip last weekend, I set a record and went 345 miles between fill-ups.

Meade
    It's on, again. Are you a Hockey fan?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I'm pulling for the WILD!!! Minessota hockey fans are definitely the greatest these playoffs!

GO WILD GO!

Dinu

PS: The PRO is doing great BTW :)
  • manavimanavi Posts: 150
    My 2001 ES usually gets between 370 and 400 gallons per tank of gas. I know it has a 14.5 gallon tank and I usually get between 29-30 miles per gallon. It usually takes about 13 gallons when I fill it up.

Also, I can drive at least 50 miles after the low fuel light comes on. I think that it comes on when there is about 2 gallons of gas left in the tank.
    In the last year, MN teams are 0 for 2 against LA teams in the playoffs. We lost to the Angels in baseball and we lost to the Lakers in basketball. Hopefully, Minnesota's Hockey team won't lose to Disney's.
    I tend to think neither is the gas stations autoshutoff feature.
    Or is it?
    I have pumped half a gallon after the autoshutoff, and because of a fear of overflow, I stop.

So what should I believe?

Manavi, 400miles to a tankful?(how many gallons?)
    What is ur driving mix?
    Unfortunately, there is no easy, 100% accurate way to check your mileage but Meade's way is the best. Don't keep pumping gas when it shuts off, just let it shut off by itself and do it that way every time. The key is being consistant. An average of a bunch of tanks will give you a pretty good idea.
    I typically expect 360 miles per tank (12.5gal), but have pushed it as far as 400 before I get really nervous and start desperately seeking a fuel stop. If I'm going along a long empty stretch of highway, I try not to let it drop much below a half tank. I usually average 34mpg on the freeway.

I think my low fuel light comes on at a bit over 2 gals left. I don't want to overheat the pump though, so I usually don't let it get to this point.

You'll find the autoshutoff at pumps vary by the pump. I've actually had one that was too insensitive and spit out some fuel. Nasty poorly maintained pump at some run-down station. I avoided that stop on the return trip. I try to listen at the fuel inlet for sounds of fuel gurgling up into the inlet pipe. When the frequency goes up, I ease off the trigger, which gives the autoshutoff (I think most work by sensing a change in air pressure due to the outlet tip being "under water") more reaction time. I probably look awful silly with my head down by the fuel door, but I don't want to repeat the spilled fuel fiasco. I'd rather underfill than overfill my tank so I don't saturate the charcoal canister.
    1. get to your regular gas station.
    2. Fill up the gas till it auto shuts off
    3. Reset the trip odo to 0.00
    4. Start driving
    5. Head to your regular gas station once more
    6. Fill up the tank again. Note the gallons that it took in before autoshutoff.
    7. Divide the trip odo reading with the numbers of gallons it took in.

Voila! you have ur mileage

8.Repeat steps 1 thru 7 for 5 times to get a good average of the mileage(????)

Right?

Note: isn't the term "mileage" supposed to represent an average reading in the first place?
  • manavimanavi Posts: 150
    I would estimate my driving is 75% highway / 25% city. Of course, there is usually stop and go rush hour traffic on the highway anyways.

I get around 29 or 30 miles per gallon. It usually takes about 13 gallons when I fill up. Hence, 400 miles per tank is not unusual. Just depends how close I am to one of the gas stations in town that has cheap gas.

Also, I can put at least one more gallon of gas into the tank after the auto-shutoff. I've overflowed twice in 2 years. Oops! But, I like being able to drive as far as possible without having to stop again to put gas.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    And MN was shocked in Sept by a team that earlier in the season had no chance. I think this might just be the "year" for Anaheim. The Lakers are the Lakers...what can be said there? I don't wanna hear from any San Antonio fans. :-(

Of course, the real winner here is the Protege! (whew, I worked it in).

Now where is that rally duck?