Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I think she would have bought a Protege as well, but young people these days want more expensive, safer, and nicer cars. Also, the Accord is very reliable as well. It should carry her well through alot of her life.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Sounds like you got quite a deal on that Accord. I really like the EX 4cyl 5sp cars. Good thing you bought one now instead of waiting for the 2003. In the words of a VTEC.net member, it looks like a turd that has vomitted on itself. Lol.
    I checked my email like 3 times since you posted that, and I have not gotten anything. You sure you sent it to the right address?
    The 2002 DX loaner I have has automatic and about 2300 miles on it. It feels faster than I remember my 2001 ES being, I guess because of less weight from components. What is the weight difference between a 2002 DX and a 2002 ES? Just wondering.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I sent it to the email posted on the yahoo website. Is that different that your regular email?
    The one in my profile here is the same thing. Lanhamdata@yahoo.com is the one to send it to.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    That's the one I sent it to. Not sure what happened...I'll try again.
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    Pardon me for barging in, but as a mostly lurker on this board i am familiar with the issues with your Jetta. I fully and deeply sympathize. I had to take VW to lemon law in 2001, and found them to be underhanded, two-faced liars in every facet of the process. Although I won my case, I learned a lot about VW as a corporation, and to this day still receive "time for an oil change" letters from them because the VW rep was too embarrased that he lost to report it to HQ! Don't trust a word you hear from VW, ever. I can't begin to describe the personal attacks I received from them once we got into arbitration..

Anyway, i listened to friends and C&D, went to Mazda, and my P5 has been flawless. Get a stick and you won't miss that turbo. I sure don't. Good luck.
    I don't even wanna think about that right now, but I know it's going to come to that. I had a 2001 perfectly good Protege, and I traded it because I always have wanted a Jetta. And boy, did I get a Jetta! :( I don't know what I want if they take this car back though.

If you could email me (click on my username to see the email) and tell me more about your experience, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :)
    Sorry for interrupting the thread with my VW business. I apologize, but I am trying to get some help here. :)

I do like my Protege DX loaner though. Maybe I will tell them I am keeping it.. :)

Just kidding. The only Pro for me would be the ES or P5.
    I just checked my email two minutes before typing this, and nothing from you. I don't know what's going on.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Paul, perhaps the VW 1.8T is not really as powerful as you think it is (check the acceleration numbers) and so you now feel the 2002 DX (which has the same 2.0 engine as your old 2001 ES) is plenty powerful for your needs!

Although I'm sure the lack of (and consequent weight reduction due to absence of) PD, PL, and some other features may make the DX a bit (100+ lbs?) lighter than the ES. This should, however, be compensated by the lightweight alloys (relative to the steel wheels) contributing to less unsprung weight.

Curiouser and curiouser!
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    Good luck with whatever happens. I'll email you with details in the next few days. Swamped here with work and family right now.
    Thanks alot, I definitely appreciate it. I am planning to call my lawyer tomorrow. They had the car a week today and nothing yet, so they can keep it now.
    The 1.8T has alot more power than the 2.0 does, but one thing I realize I don't like about it is when you are driving in traffic, it's kind of a pain in the butt. The turbo comes in at 1950rpm, which makes for a pretty jerky ride in stop and go traffic that I deal with everyday.

I knew the DX was lighter (and also knew it had the same engine), but I thought it still felt more spry than my ES did.

Also, I like not having to put up the front seats when people ride in the back of the Protege, like I have to in the Jetta.

I did notice, however, that this DX starts to shake on the highway around 85mph or so. My Jetta doesn't so that, and my 01 ES did not either. However, my 1999 DX did. Maybe it has something to do with the wheels or something? I don't know.
  • I made 3 500+ trips in my 2000 Pro ES (auto) in the last month and it has been quite comfy. I have averaged about 32mpg, and that includes going thru the Appalachin and Smokey mountains. That also includes some serious zooming for stretches (80+ mph), which isn't condusive to optimal mileage. I did have a problem arise with my voltage regulator during one of the trips, but I had it fixed under warranty before it caused any major problems.

Larry,

Did I read somewhere you live in TN now? Just wondering, because I just moved to Nashville.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Naah, I took a job with Cracker Barrel Restaurant and Old Country Store and I trained in Lebanon, TN for 4 weeks last month. I have heard the Nashville area is very nice and the cost of living is very reasonable! I will tell you the Nashville Airport is excellent! BTW, if you meet Martina McBride down in Nashville, tell her Larry from Cracker Barrels has a wicked crush on her.

Bryan, I'm glad your Protege is running right and the repairs were done correctly. Keep posting, my friend! ;-)

-Larry
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Good luck with VW. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a friend of mine who recently got a Jetta TDI. Hope he doesn't experience the issues you and riopelle did. Interior build quality seemed nice, and he's getting decent fuel economy (mid-40mpg).

Of course, we didn't help by piling in 5 guys (it was very crowded, but I managed to get into the front seat on the return leg) who weigh anywhere from 180 to 250 pounds each for a lunch trip. Oops. Should've figured we'd exceed the rated load for the Jetta, especially since we're all engineers. :P

Too overcome by new-car enthusiasm I guess. :)
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Sorry to hear about your Jetta problems. As I mentioned before, I had several severe problems with my 2000 GLX. It prompted us to trade it in on a 2001 Pro ES. The nicest thing I can say about the Jetta is that it held its trade in value well enough that we didn't have to pay sales tax on the new Pro.

Here is a relevant link just for you information:
    http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0206/25/c04-522807.htm
  • I have a 2001 Pro ES, standard transmission and we want to use it to tow a small sailboat (less than 1000 lbs). We had been using my husband's 1996 Altima but we sold that car. DO any of you use your cars for towing? What are your experiences?